Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-12-2010, 09:08 PM   #91
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcaBlue View Post
I just tested by slid the switch to the right into "lock" mode. Flipping the bar would not turn the page; however, the stylus still works. You can check battery and navigate. From that I would say turn the switch to "lock" doesn't disable the touch sensor.
Wait ten or twenty seconds. It stops working. (Mine does, anyway.)
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #92
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-500
It seemed a few seconds after you toggle the switch to lock, the touch function get disabled too. But immediately after that it still responds to the stylus.
OrcaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #93
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
My stylus rests left of the reader. About 3cm to the left and another 3cm below (iRex resting on another reader and an extra cover).
I'm not sure if that's a factor or not. The only thing I can tell you is that my stylus was nowhere near the reader for most of the time it lasted 2 weeks. I don't know how far the effective range to the WACOM digitizer is that would cause it to react to the stylus. I would guess 3cm is far enough away, but don't know what the actual number is.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #94
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I'm not sure if that's a factor or not. The only thing I can tell you is that my stylus was nowhere near the reader for most of the time it lasted 2 weeks. I don't know how far the effective range to the WACOM digitizer is that would cause it to react to the stylus. I would guess 3cm is far enough away, but don't know what the actual number is.
I'll leave it that way for my test. Let's see about my power meter in 12 and 24 hours and 2 and 3 days. If I can replicate the "faulty" behavior, I'll experiment with distancing the stylus.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #95
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
I don't know if this could be a reason but I noticed that even I enabled Airplane mode, my DR800 would automatically turns it on occasionally by itself. The timing is sporadic. I have to re-enable airplane mode again several times myself. Is it calling home? I don't know.
Just curious, what indication are you seeing that makes you believe it is turning on sporadically? Do you see the blue LED flash, does the airplane icon turn back into a 3G, does the device actually show something on the eInk screen saying it's connecting... etc.

I put mine in airplane mode for about 10 minutes but didn't see anything. If it's something like the LED flashing every once in awhile, could that just be a reminder that it's in airline mode? Just a guess, don't know if that's true or not.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #96
OrcaBlue
Groupie
OrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it isOrcaBlue knows what time it is

The icon would turn from airplane to 3G. Then I have to go to Setting to turn on Airplane mode again. I know with PRS 900 there is a switch to physically disable 3G. Not so for DR800.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #97
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Good question. I think it's intended to prevent accidental input from the buttons, but I don't know if it's supposed to be a power mode and what effect it has regarding battery life.
That makes sense. I do think it's shutting down the interface because after everything, including the Wacom, goes unresponsive it can take 20-25 seconds after unlocking before the pen will do more than highlight a selection. (e.g. go from Home to Settings.) That suggests to me that it needs to power back up. It takes quite a bit longer to come all the way back up than from the blank-screen standby mode, for sure.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #98
OrcaBlue
Groupie

It instantly highlights a new session but would not go into that section.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #99
Dellaster
本の虫

Quote:
It instantly highlights a new session but would not go into that section.
Exactly, that's what I mean. Seems like at least part of the device needs to power back up after the "lock".
Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #100
The Straven
Nevermore
The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'The Straven knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: ex-iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
Regardless, I think it should be obvious to anyone following the IRex corner on MobileRead that IRex on the whole has one of the most miserable records as far as battery and power management goes in the entire e-reader industry. It appears to me to be a constant complaint along their entire product line, and it doesn't seem to be an issue they show any real capability of fixing.
cmdahler,

Most of the posts I've seen you make in this sub-forum decry iRex. It's clear that you have no interest in iRex devices. Aren't you doing what the iPad bashers did in January, going far out of your way to criticize something you have no interest in? I've read your posts justly complaining about that, but it appears that you are carrying a chip on your shoulder from it. It may not be your intention, but it appears that you are trolling this board.

Claiming to be ribbing Shaggy is disingenuous. Accusing someone of being a shill isn't funny. And a couple years of lurking here and owning an iLiad or now a DR800 has convinced me that Shaggy is not a shill.

tldr; please ease off. Your attitude is unpleasant. If you feel this is a baseless request, feel free to report this post.
The Straven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 AM   #101
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD View Post
I am having the same problem.
One idea is the placing of the stylus while in standby (when to close to the reader, it may activate the screen by accident): Where do you keep your stylus while in standby?
Old 03-13-2010, 03:45 AM   #102
jolka
jolka began at the beginning.

Device: DR800S
I once charged my DR800S to 100% and left it in standby mode. Never switched it on in two weeks. After two weeks it was still possible to switch it on - the battery was low, around 10% I think, but still the reader was operational.

Could that be that:

- the battery was not completely charged?
- the reader malfunctioned in Stanby, say it was not in Standby but in On mode?

I would try to charge it to 100% and leave it in standby for some time. Probably would switch it on once a day to monitor the battery state.
jolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:58 AM   #103
mgmueller
Member Retired

Similar experiences on BeBook Neo (= Onyx Boox)

HarryT in another thread has pointed out to the user forum of BeBook Neo (another WACOM unit): http://mybebook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2187
Many users report only a few days when in standby as well. And it seems to be kind of accepted: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=262
Old 03-13-2010, 04:05 AM   #104
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolka View Post
I once charged my DR800S to 100% and left it in standby mode. Never switched it on in two weeks. After two weeks it was still possible to switch it on - the battery was low, around 10% I think, but still the reader was operational.

Could that be that:

- the battery was not completely charged?
- the reader malfunctioned in Stanby, say it was not in Standby but in On mode?

I would try to charge it to 100% and leave it in standby for some time. Probably would switch it on once a day to monitor the battery state.
I've started such a test yesterday evening: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=76
So far, everything seems perfect. But of course I don't know, when the battery in those 4 days has been drained. Whether it was linear or a sudden drop.
Most users in this thread agree: It should be way more than 4 days, somewhere between 10 to 15 days.
In other threads, users of BeBook Neo (= Onyx Boox) for example widely confirm the 3 to 4 days and kind of accept it. If 3 to 4 days would be the usual, I'd find that kind of odd. But I don't want to turn off my readers. Usually I don't plan to not using it for weeks, it just happens.
BTW: The reader definitely has been fully charged. I always charge more than 1 reader at a time. And I charge it over night = plenty of time.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #105
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
HarryT in another thread has pointed out to the user forum of BeBook Neo (another WACOM unit): http://mybebook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2187
Many users report only a few days when in standby as well. And it seems to be kind of accepted: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=262
A fundamental difference, though, is that you can switch the Neo off if you don't want your battery to drain. I understand that there's no way to switch off the DR800?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote