Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Did you find the answers helpful?
Yes! 23 50.00%
No. 6 13.04%
Yes, but... 17 36.96%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2006, 06:09 PM   #91
Churchcat
Churchcat began at the beginning.

Device: SONY Reader
I made the mistake of buying a Sony Reader in Borderes while over in the US on holiday.
I could put up with the PC only - I could even manage the only one PC at a time stricture but no credit cards outside the USA? What's all that about? And Sony's customer services are a laughing stock. No wonder Macs and iPods have wiped the floor with them. Next time I return to the US the Reader is going back to Borders. Shame because the hardware is great - the marketing is useless and the customer support is terrible. I suppse we'll have to wait until Mac comes up with something that wipes the floor with it.
Churchcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #92
Churchcat
Churchcat began at the beginning.

Device: SONY Reader
I made the mistake of buying a Sony Reader in Borders while over in the US on holiday.
I could put up with the PC only - I could even manage the only one PC at a time stricture but no credit cards outside the USA? What's all that about? And Sony's customer services are a laughing stock. No wonder Macs and iPods have wiped the floor with them. Next time I return to the US the Reader is going back to Borders.
I only have one book on it now 1984 - 349 dollars for a badly scanned classic?
Shame because the hardware is great - the marketing is useless and the customer support is terrible. I suppse we'll have to wait until Mac comes up with something that wipes the floor with it.
Churchcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #93
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
At least make use of the $50 credit before returning (no credit card needed). Also, some people here can buy gift codes for you if you need to buy more. And you can read non-DRMed books in TXT and RTF (e.g. from Baen).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #94
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchcat
I could put up with the PC only - I could even manage the only one PC at a time stricture
There is no such stricture. Simply log on your multiple machine with the same Connect account.

Quote:
but no credit cards outside the USA? What's all that about?
Almost certainly legal issues with book distribution rights. CDs generally have a single world-wide publisher. Books aren't like that - distribution rights are country specific and, for example, many books have different publishers in the US and UK. I'm sure that Sony will roll out the Connect Store internationally over time, just like Apple did the iTunes store which, I'm sure you recall, was also initially US-only.

Quote:
And Sony's customer services are a laughing stock.
I must respectfully disagree. I am now on my 3rd Sony laptop computer. The reason I keep buying them is precisely because their customer support are so excellent. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a poor experience, but I certainly don't believe it's generic.

Quote:
I only have one book on it now 1984 - 349 dollars for a badly scanned classic?
That's your choice. There are 10s of thousands of books available in the public domain. Go, for example, to http://www.manybooks.net and you can download some 15,000 books in Sony Reader format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:16 AM   #95
vitualis
vitualis began at the beginning.

Device: ETEN M600, HP rx3715, Sony Reader
In addition, I have an Australia credit card, but I did not have any particular difficulty creating an account and purchasing books through Connect. Given that the "address" is entirely redundant with electronic distribution, I just created a dummy address.

The $US 50 offer was great as I got to purchase books that I would otherwise not have done so as well as experimenting with the Sony "bookstore".

There is still a lot of improvement that Sony can make to the store and I hope that they become more flexible with their model. In particular I hope that in addition to a "bookstore" they consider setting up a subscription model where you can "borrow" books like a library.

Regards,
Michael Tam
vitualis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2006, 03:13 AM   #96
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
Considering that the possibility that I will ever have a computer capable of installing Sony's Connect software is roughly equal to the chance that Sony will drop the hardware price to $1.50 per unit, is there a way for me to give away the $50 "free" ebook credit?

I hate to encourage them in their belief that DRMed books are a viable market, but I'd also hate to see them get off scott-free on an obligation. That's probably what's going to happen, but...

Last edited by unkilbeeg; 12-25-2006 at 03:14 AM. Reason: spelling
unkilbeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 03:27 AM   #97
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkilbeeg
is there a way for me to give away the $50 "free" ebook credit?
I don't believe so, in that no matter what machine you download it on, it'll only be readable on your Reader. The credit is "associated" with a Reader, rather than with a PC.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #98
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Only if you could find someone else with a Reader, and register your unit to their account. They'd get the credit and keep it even after you de-registered it. I'd recommend that you do de-register it, just to keep your options open.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:47 PM   #99
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
Several people have seen mine and are interested in one of their own, but none that expect to act before the deadline.

So it looks like Sony gets to keep its $50 "bonus."
unkilbeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:59 PM   #100
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I must respectfully disagree. I am now on my 3rd Sony laptop computer. The reason I keep buying them is precisely because their customer support are so excellent. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a poor experience, but I certainly don't believe it's generic.
I don't know if it has changed much in the last month or so but my wife and I found Sony support for the Reader to absolutely be a laughing stock!

The online phonebot didn't know what a Sony Reader or a PRS-500U or PRS-500 were. Once you got a human, they didn't know what it was either! We found ourselves being run in a ring around 3 different departments.

We eventually wound up returning our defective Reader for credit because it was impossible for us to get Sony to replace it.

Fortunately for Sony I was able to go to Border's... I've purchased 4 units from Border's and with all the deals they have going on I'm glad I went to them for the $$$ savings as well as the superior customer service.

Quite frankly I don't think I'll ever risk buying from the Sony Online Store ever again.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:52 PM   #101
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have had good success with Sony support. Not sure what number you were calling but the number they provided was 1-866-919-SONY (7669) and pick 2 from the first menu. They said to call from 9AM to 8PM Eastern Time, Monday through Friday, and from 10AM to 3PM Eastern Time Saturday and Sunday. Hope this helps.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:25 AM   #102
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
for a good deal borders is nice! I had a $20 off anything over $100 plus my 10% shopping day and I still had like $8 in credit left (you earn credit as you buy stuff) so I got a little over $60 off the price of my reader! 10% IS 35$ !! and the $20 coupon specified it was combinable with shopping day and earned credit !! nice ! so I grabbed the Green cover (stiffer nicer and more colorful than the boring black it comes with. (really wish they had orange :-)

I think the personal shopping day is only good till dec30 though so get out there! (I am not sure how you get it IE sign up for the borders card and Ask about it. Not sure if all members get them at the appropriate times or if you "earn" them. thats $35 off! like getting a cover for free! (and its off your ENTIRE purchase so buy some bargain bin books while your shopping :-) hehe

Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:36 AM   #103
impything
impything began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs
Hi Alexander...

I'm in Thailand and was wondering what the best way is to get a Sony reader here? Sony doesn't seem to sell them here...

thanks
love
I
impything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:33 AM   #104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The Reader is currently only sold in the USA. One way is to buy one from eBay - that's the way that I got mine.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:47 AM   #105
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Or read this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9393
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote