Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 06:03 AM   #91
darius
darius began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I don't like the fact that it does not exist. You can rant and rave when it exists, but why jump the gun?
Magic 8 ball. All signs point to yes.

Ranting and raving? Hardly... we're having a little fun. No need to get in a fuss.

The iTablet/pad/slate/canvas or whatever they're gonna call it is gonna to combine a lot of different functionality together in a sleek HCI friendly package with tonnes of development potential, ereader capabilities, and high quality possibly interactive digital content from the likes of New York Times and HarperCollins.

Still I understand why e-ink fans would not choose any kind of backlit panel as your first preference. And that's why Apple's new product will not obsolete all those ebook readers in one fell swoop. If you are the kind of person who likes the swiss army knife approach but also likes things done simply and elegantly as possible then this could be the product for you.
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:10 AM   #92
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Not the same ? Are you sure ?
The only game i ever though of buying for iPod , that's myst, becasue the DS version is so horibbly bugged.
For the rest, my ds overmatch the iPod when it come to games, just like my P3 overmatch it when it comes to video and mp3 playing.
yes and I gave an example.

not sure what else you want im not really bothered if you want to pick at the exact wording but the fact is that in terms of game numbers and quality of software and Game generated revenue the iPhone/Touch is up there with the DS and ahead of the PSP, no other phone is currently capable of competing as a Games machine.

oh and for many the appeal is that the iPhone is good enough for games video and MP3 and is a phone personal organiser web browser etc. so one device in the pocket instead of a P3, DS and phone.

however other people prefer the better more specific devices, thats fine but tehre IS a reason that the Apple devices are being so succesful.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #93
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Only a week away!!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 AM   #94
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18721...he_rumors.html
Old 01-20-2010, 06:29 AM   #95
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
no,no,no apple's #1 product: iHype!
But that picture must have been made by iPaint!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 06:42 AM   #96
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I would love an iPod Touch - I just can't afford any new gadgets right now. I'm sure the new Apple tablet, if that's actually what they're announcing, is going to be truly drool-worthy too.

I just think we should wait until it's at least announced - or better yet released - before putting in a forum for it. It's not that I think it's a bad idea; it's just premature.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #97
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
however other people prefer the better more specific devices, thats fine but tehre IS a reason that the Apple devices are being so succesful.
Apple being a pro at marketing ? And the "effet mouton" (ie someone doing someting because someone else did).

The iPhone have some good point all right, but not enough to make me forget it's bad. (overpriced, closed ...)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #98
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Only a week away!!!!
Now there's a countdown.

1(week)

I should have redone that using a multicolored font on a rectangular background, but I'm too lazy.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #99
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Now there's a countdown.

1(week)

I should have redone that using a multicolored font on a rectangular background, but I'm too lazy.

More exciting idea. How 'bout we count down to doughnuts!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 AM   #100
4-eyes
Enthusiast
4-eyes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
The iPod revolutionized MP3 players, the iPhone did the same to smart phones so I think writing off Apple before the device comes out is premature. They are a very good hardware design company and with OS X they have a solid OS that runs on all kinds of devices.

You know it will have a more aesthetically pleasing design that other tablets, will have iTunes and appstore integration (a BIG deal for games, apps, music videos, TV, movies and easy to add ebooks to that system).

However I'm not totally convinced this is the tablet. The colors look like iPod colors!! It could be new ipods, how crushed will the Apple fans be then?

Neither the iPod nor the iPhone revolutionised their fields. What Apple did do was make very good devices for existing markets and gained large market share. In the case of the iPod, completely dominating the market.

As far as I know, there is no meaningful tablet or slate PC market segment established so it will be interesting to see if they can actually make one by their own effort.

In any case, it doesn't sound like the device is going to be an eBook reader (even though like any PC with a built in screen it can be used to read eBooks) so I really don't see why there should be a forum space reserved for it before anyone even knows the details.
4-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #101
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
The iPod revolutionized MP3 players, the iPhone did the same to smart phones so I think writing off Apple before the device comes out is premature.
They did? How?

Quote:
You know it will have a more aesthetically pleasing design that other tablets, will have iTunes and appstore integration (a BIG deal for games, apps, music videos, TV, movies and easy to add ebooks to that system).
If you like getting all your content from one location, maybe. But I like to get my games, applications, music, movies and ebooks from a lot of locations. And TV? I'd rather watch that, well, on my TV...

You may be right on the aesthetically pleasing design, but I also love the design on my Sonim phone.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #102
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm not completely anti-Apple and I have absolutely no love for E-Ink and would love to go to a new device, and am happy to go multifunction.... I'm even excited about replacement e-papers that are coming to market...

But I fail to see the amazing attraction of a device that doesn't exist. No real data on it, its content delivery, its technical specifications, nothing.

I don't expect to be bowled over by it, but it might turn out to be sweet. However, it doesn't bloody exist yet. We know nothing about it. Apple fans think it's gonna change the world, and Apple haters think it's going to be an overhyped, overpriced compromised product. Yet nobody knows squat except for a huge range of assumption and speculation that covers nearly every conceivable manifestation of a tablet-ish device.

All we have is a brand identity. That's nothing. When there's a product, or even a prototype, or a mockup, or even a specification tidbit from Apple, then it might be interesting. If I'd had higher expectations of Apple fans, I'd have thought all the tablet conjecture "fun" was dried up years ago.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #103
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
LDBoblo ... I can understand some people when they're excited about the Apple iPad/iSlate. I remember when I was struggling with various smartphones and wishing that Apple would enter the mobile phone market just so that it syncs properly. I thought that when an Apple phone would arrive, I would no longer need to worry about missing contacts, calendars etc.

Well, then the iPhone came

By the way, I just recently got one, so I joined the elite groupe about 2 years after it was initially launched. But upon launch I knew it would be only a matter of time before a 3G version came out.

So I guess a lot of people have expectations that they are sure Apple will meet. If this makes it the über-device remains to be seen
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #104
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'd love to have a multifunction device that served as an ereader, but also displayed videos, played mp3s, played games, had an app store, had a fast 3G connection to the web, etc.

However, if it doesn't use some form of color eInk then I am not interested in using it as an ereader. So, I'll wait until Amazon/Mirasol announce their Apple killer next year.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #105
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The excitement is based on Apple having a history of getting things mostly right, thinking about the user AND aesthetics where many competitors do not.

Why does Apple control 90% of the PMP (portable music player) market? Not everyone who bought an iPod drank Apple kool-aid. Fact is the combination of good hardware and iTunes as a service was/is desirable. They didn't knock anyone out of business with shady tactics, better hardware (mid-pack I'd say), or lower price. Neither did they win THAT much market share because they spew better hot air (marketing). I don't happen to like iTunes software but Apple did a good job convincing producers to join up with them.

When it comes to phones, the iPhone got SO many more things right than their competition. The out of the box experience is very positive. It still has the best mobile browser for non-mobile-optimized websites (because of gesture-zooming). If you want to hack your phone then perhaps there are better choices, although you can "jail break" the iPhone. Apple entered the mature smartphone market and is grabbing huge smartphone market share. Competitors laughed at them. Now they're crying.

The point is an Apple tablet willl either deliver a better e-reading experience or will push Amazon and others to "up their game." How is that prospect not something to get excited over?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote