Notices

Old 05-10-2006, 06:49 AM   #91
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTalker
But, the irex webpage claims it is to be released in May.
Would you please show us where exactly they say that it wiil be released in May?

http://www.irextechnologies.com/home.htm
http://www.irextechnologies.com/shop/index.htm
"As the implementation of our Web Shop caused some unforeseen technical problems the opening has been postponed from April to May 2006."

Do you understand the difference - opening has been postponed and will be released?

Quote:
Are they lying?
No, but some optimist are reading not quite attentively...

And from this statement (implementation of our Web Shop caused some unforeseen technical problems) we could suppose, they only have technical problems with their site and webshop, not with Irex itself, but now all we do know, it is not so.

Here they say you can order Ilad right now.
http://www.irextechnologies.com/faq.htm

Where can I buy the iLiad E-reader?
Although the business focus of iRex Technologies is Business-to-Business solutions, we will also make our product available for individuals, who can order via our iRex Technologies web retail. (April 2006)

Are they lying?

Last edited by TaKir; 05-10-2006 at 07:04 AM.
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #92
LittleTalker
Connoisseur
LittleTalker began at the beginning.

Sorry, I'm not a native english speaker so I'll politely expand my logic here:
1. The faq you pointed to says literally: "Although the business focus of iRex Technologies is Business-to-Business solutions, we will also make our product available for individuals, who can order via our iRex Technologies web retail. (April 2006)". If I understand correctly, "web retail" is the same as "web shop", and "product" means "iLiad" (what else are they making?). When I said "release" I meant "release for individuals", which I omitted since most posters here are indiduals speaking for themselves.
2. I understood the web shop was announced to open by mid April. Since the purpose of the shop is to sell the device to individuals, I inferred that opening the shop is the same as releasing the iLiad for individuals.
3. It follows (please correct me if I'm wrong) that if they announce that the web shop is delayed from April (original opening date) to May, then they are announcing that the iLiad will be for sale on May, unless they mean to open the shop with no items for sale (which is absurd), or that they include IDS in the webshop release concept, which is pointless unless your company gets you a unit (or you are Henrycat ). So if they don't believe the iLiad will be ready for May, then they are at least lacking in transparency towards individual users.
LittleTalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2006, 10:01 AM   #93
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
Quote:
Sorry, I'm not a native english speaker
So am I
But "opening has been postponed from April to May 2006" means that now they have only postponed to May opening of webshop. Nothing prevents them in May from postponing to June, for example, because they didn't write at their site, they have everything (hardware+software) ready for selling through webshop.

Now we know, they at least didn't have normal software for Iliad, but they don't mention this info at their site...
I would be glad to be mistaken, but everything what is happening around Iliad confirms my suspicions
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:38 AM   #94
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Let's wait for some input from Henrycat...he's been very quite in the last few days...

The new software for the Iliad should have arrived by now, but I'm pretty sure he would have posted if he had received it.
But maybe his Internet connection is down again...wel'll see...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:07 AM   #95
firekat
Groupie
firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.firekat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I don't think that you will ever see the open marketing of this device. The delayed opening of the webstore is a complete ruse, to think otherwise is patently absurd. This deception is probably being used to cover up deficiencies in either the device, software or their business model. I would not be surprised to see the company sold, probably to a larger asian company. A number of years later there may be a device sold. It will probably be much different than what we see now.

I would be interested in knowing how many people have left their email addresses for notification of opening the webstore. Every day I check my email with anticipation of an email from iRex Technologies. I then check the website.

I am getting very disappointed with the situation. I would think that the company would be more than happy to liberate us from some of our hard earned money. Since that is not happening and the only excuse being levied is that of "webstore development problems", I question the intent of company management. One would think that as soon as possible they would want to get a completed and functional device in the hands of people that could in an off hand way increase their marketing dramatically just by word of mouth and exposure of their product to the masses for absolutely no cost. I think there are bigger issues here than just a dysfunctional webstore.

Even though there have been some people that have actually had the opportunity to get touchy feely with an actual device I am getting the definite impression that this will remain to the general public, "Vaporware".

Sorry for my pessimism, I am getting very frustrated with this situation. With the lack of recent communication from iRex Technologies one can only jump to these conclusions.

It is my sincerest hope that I am very wrong in all my assumptions.

Last edited by firekat; 05-10-2006 at 11:19 AM.
firekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #96
haasiesoft
Enthusiast
haasiesoft began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Irex should offer the iliad on ebay :-)
haasiesoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:23 AM   #97
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Sorry, I'm not a native english speaker ....
Well, you used the word "inferred" correctly, that puts you up on about 90% of us "native" english speakers.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #98
avid
Enthusiast
avid has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Palm TX, Ebookwise 1150, Cybook Gen 3
Check this link - not sure how accurate it is though.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main...07/bomain.html
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 03:44 PM   #99
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Nice article...
But I wonder what the "more competitive Price than the Sony Reader" line is supposed to mean...my last information was, that the Iliad is a lot more expensive...

Did I misread or did they actually get that quote from iRex???

Henrycat...can you commetn on the pricing issue? Or on anything else...^^
Old 05-10-2006, 04:32 PM   #100
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I dont believe the pricing statement. I guess it will be 550,- Euro + VAT + shipping.
Guess the competition is in the additional features an the better update possibilities for applications and content.

But i do sincerely hope, they open the webshop soon, because i do want to buy one
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #101
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
Quote:
But it is likely that Sony will be pipped to the post in the West by iRex, whose iLiad will be available online later this month with, iRex claims, a more competitive price tag than Sony's proposed £250.
Wasnt the iLiad supposed to cost 540 Euro?
Seems that the info in the article is inaccurate (at least this bit is)

Hopefully they are right though; 250 is a lot more affordable than 540
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:25 AM   #102
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vranghel
Hopefully they are right though; 250 is a lot more affordable than 540
Hehe, 250 BP are about 350 Euro, which ist still alot less than 550 Euro. Especially if it includes VAT, which the iRex price is not supposed to.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:55 AM   #103
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

I whish we had some confirmation on all this...the whole waitig and speculating stuff is starting to wear me down...I thouth that after Henrycat received a "review" model it couldn't be long...but somehow it has become very quiet once again...too quiet.

Somebody promised more information "on the 10th of May", but that has now been and passed and we still know no more.

Depressing really, that in our modern timescommunication between company and customer seems to be getting worse and worse and deadlines seem to be something the people responsible decide with dice instead of on the basis of the real production/development facts!
Old 05-11-2006, 03:36 AM   #104
masc
Enthusiast
masc began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
...but somehow it has become very quiet once again...too quiet.
Maybe the silence before the storm ...

I hope there is some response from henrycat soon (os update etc.).
masc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:56 AM   #105
Henrycat
Zealot
Henrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheeseHenrycat can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Voyage
Sorry for the silence treatment, but i still don’t have internet at home, and i have been having a busy week here at work so not a lot of time to browse the internet.

I'll try to make up in the weekend when i return to my home (real home, not working home).

I'll also make videos of the device

Check my Librie videos to have an idea of the quality.

What would you like to see in video? Annotation is the only thing i think right now.

I'm currently updating the device, but haven't really had time to see the differences...

About the price above, it's possible if any publisher is willing to subsidize the device with something (subscriptions for instance).

Irex is trying to bring the price down with content publishers, but they tend to consider the device "only" has a book, not a library or content delivery system :|

Well gotta go. Cya later.
Henrycat is offline   Reply With Quote