Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 06-08-2006, 09:13 AM   #91
Xsavior
Coveter of eInk
Xsavior began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700p, Sony Reader
Is the V8 as open as the hope for the V2 is? I've decided i don't want an ebookwise 1150... but i'm burning for something... i can probably wait... but only probably.
Xsavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #92
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))
TaKir is on a distinguished road

Device: Lbook V8 & V3_Vizplex
To Xsavior:
Jinke offers sdk with V2, almost "out of box", but not with V8. Yet...
TaKir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2006, 08:05 PM   #93
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@TaKir

How well does the wolf conversion software work at the moment?
I tried it a while ago, and it just couldn't handle english text at all and the wolf printer didn't even work with my "western" version of Windows XP

Can you tell us (show us with pictures) how well it handles PDF? (these have to be converted...)
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:01 AM   #94
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))

2 CommanderROR
It works quite good. I have no problems to convert doc, rtf, pdf, txt, html at my XP system.
Also Jinke reads txt, html as is, with no conversion.

For doc, rtf you can use right click at file ----> make wolf. It is faster, but uses system Jinke font. If you print from word, you can use any font installed, format as you want and so on.

Right now I've made .wol book from Jinke V8 User manual. Just opened pdf file, choosed Hanlin printer, paper properties, fit to page and printed it ))

Pdf from here
http://www.jinke.com.cn/compagesql/u...es00000049.pdf

Here is a scan of Jinke screen with a pdf page (200 ppi).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jine-pdf-test-small.jpg
Views:	2144
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	1133  
Old 06-11-2006, 08:34 AM   #95
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Thanks TaKir.

I'm not sure, but I think the wolf printer/creator you used creates "pictures" of the pages?
A PDF containing lots of text would then not be reflowable...right?
The problem is, that a PDF ebook for PC could become unreadable due to small font-size if it's simply converted to "page-pictures"

Is this the case with the Wolf converter for V8?

I can also see "half-images" on the scrren of your "scan" and some very strange "grainy" resolution in the graphical elements...is this due to scanning?
Advert
Old 06-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #96
jasmine
jasmine began at the beginning.

I am really confused with the price now, the price of V8 is RMB 3480 ( around $430) according to a very reliable e-book seller? they also provided a very good review of V8(http://www.baizhan.com.cn/index.php?showtopic=62205). But the price showed here is $359 plus $60 shipping, maybe I should order thru e-mail instead of getting one directly from china market ?
jasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #97
Xsavior
Coveter of eInk
Xsavior began at the beginning.

Device: Treo 700p, Sony Reader
Yes, i noticed the "ghost" images in the background also... i wonder if it's an artifact of the screen refresh taht maybe normal eyse in normal light wouldn't notice, but the scanner does? I'm hoping youwouldn't see it in normal light
Xsavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #98
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))

There are some "gosts" sometimes, Sony Librie has them too.
I don't care of them. ))
When you read, you pay attention to the text, and in couple of pages you simply do not see them. It is checked by people, who tried to read from e-ink (Sony or Jinke).
There are 2 "ways" to refresh screen - slow (no "gosts" at all) and quick - sometimes "gosts" are present.

2 CommanderROR
"some very strange "grainy" resolution in the graphical elements...is this due to scanning?"

I think it is because images are 20x30 mm or smaller (print resolution) in this pdf. ))
If you print this pdf with your printer, you'll see normal text and bad-printed pictures...

Just forgot to say, it's not quite right to watch e-ink pictures (or scans) on monitors - e-ink has ~0.15 mm dot pitch and typical monitor ~0.28 mm dot pitch... You cann't compare them correct.

Last edited by TaKir; 06-13-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:39 AM   #99
Snappy!
Addict
Snappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura aboutSnappy! has a spectacular aura about

Device: SHARP Zaurus C1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine
I am really confused with the price now, the price of V8 is RMB 3480 ( around $430) according to a very reliable e-book seller? they also provided a very good review of V8(http://www.baizhan.com.cn/index.php?showtopic=62205). But the price showed here is $359 plus $60 shipping, maybe I should order thru e-mail instead of getting one directly from china market ?
The price is $359 ($299 + $60) direct from jinke. At least that's the quote I got. Still wondering if I should get it or wait for V2.
Snappy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:50 AM   #100
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@TaKir
That would indicate that the V8 uses "old" eink panels because all the ones produced now are "ghost-free".

@Snappy that would seem to be correct since the price Jinke shows on the homepage is the same
Old 06-13-2006, 01:08 PM   #101
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))

2 CommanderROR
Jinke uses absolutely the same eink panel as in new Sony Reader.
Jinke and new Sony screens differ from old Libries' screen.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:01 PM   #102
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@TaKir

Does the V8 do an "invert" when it changes pictures? (screen goes completely black)
Old 06-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #103
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))

2 CommanderROR
Yes, it has inversion while changing page, but screen doesn't become absolutely black, it makes real inversion (as I can see) - white text on black background.

By the way, I made a wolf book with inverted text and background - it looks very good.

PS about pdf - the book file, picture from which I've posted here, was in 2 times smaller, than a source pdf. I think I should check my print details in Acrobat...
Old 06-14-2006, 01:54 AM   #104
TaKir
Keine Ursache! ))

Here is the same pdf printed to .wolf file from Acrobat with "tile all pages" option, and in lanscape orientation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jinke_pdf_tile_pages-200.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jinke_pdf_tile_pages-2-200.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1139  
Old 06-14-2006, 05:45 AM   #105
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
Takir,

What's the second screen that allows input like?
Can you create a blank document and use handwriting to make notes?
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote