Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #91
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Patent needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
I want to ask for advice on how to react to this.

A gentleman (apparently from Brazil) has published on Amazon a KJV (and ASV) with ... "Direct Verse Access." Compare it to my "Direct Verse Jump." The description of how it works appears to be taken from my product description page. It uses the same book abbreviations and may be a direct copy or derivative of my edition. He undercuts my sales price. His sales are closing in on mine.

I don't know...
Osnova,

See a patent attorney and file a patent as soon as possible. You will receive a patent pending letter and then can have your attorney take care of the alleged infringement.

You will have to have proof of all the dates you started with the DVJ process in case the other party also filed for a patent.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #92
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgumphress View Post
My only purchase so far is this very Bible version. I had not figured out how it would jump right to a verse until I read your post. Now if I can only figure out how to remember the book abreviations so I can follow along in Church with the Pastor.
One lady created a handy pdf with abbreviations. You can find it on her blog: http://novoelle.com/2010/07/osnova-k...version-bible/

I have memorized the abbreviations long ago. Somebody asked me for an index card with abbreviations. I'll do it one day.

to all:

Thanks for the support. Typically, I do not like to involve lawyers. I'll think about it some more. For now, I ask that if you haven't yet written a review on Amazon and you like my editions please leave a positive review on Amazon. It does help.

Last edited by osnova; 08-31-2010 at 10:57 PM.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #93
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks osnova, got the download and printed it to card stock. Now I can put it in my Kindle case.
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #94
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aaaah! Ashes and Sackcloth!

I have just found that Kindle 3 is breaking DVJ! I've already sent a letter to Amazon asking for a fix but the DVJ is no longer as reliable as it was on DX and Kindle 2.

For example, try searching mt.22.1 on the new Kindle, it will jump to mt.2.21!

Please submit your bug reports to kindle-feedback@amazon.com (or their other feedback emails) so that they would pay attention to this disaster.

My email to Amazon:

Dear Amazon team,

A number of my Bible publications for the Kindle use what I call the Direct Verse Jump or DVJ (for example, B0030T1DPY, B002VWKFJ6, B002V1I4I6, B00332EWJC, B0033PSG1Y). The idea can be used for any large structured books or book collections, not just Bibles.

Basically, DVJ uses unique text anchors printed in white to identify
each verse and chapter in the Bible (or other books). Searching for those unique anchors (e.g. jn.3.16 for John 3:16 or ge.3.5 for Genesis 3:5, ge.24 for Genesis chapter 24 in general) and pressing find twice allows jumping to any verse in the Bible on the Kindle in mere seconds. Every anchor is unique and on Kindle 2 and Kindle DX, the search function identifies each anchor uniquely (only one search result for each anchor). For example, searching for ge.24 returns only 1 result on Kindle DX and Kindle 2.

However, the search functionality on the new Kindle 3 behaves
differently, breaking the Direct Verse Jump functionality, which would completely destroy the usefulness of DVJ Bibles. For example, if I search for ge.24, the new Kindle 3 returns 23 results (ge.2.4, ge.24, ge.24.1 and on and on). If I just press "find" twice after search string ge.24, the text will jump to ge.2.4 (the first search result), which will be an error. Similar errors are with many other search. As another example, if I search for non-existent ge.4.31 (there is no such verse in the Bible), the DX and Kindle 2 will currently state that there are 0 search results; however, the new Kindle finds ge.43.1, which is again a mistake.

I understand that sometimes there may be a need for some fuzzy searching and treating periods or word-endings in a loose way; however, at least please allow the option to turn this fuzzy searching off so that DVJ would still be a viable option. I ask that you please fix this issue as soon as possible because many people rely on DVJ now and I hope many more will in the future. The new Kindles have the right price point. The Bibles with DVJ could open a new huge market for Kindles -- people who read the Bible on the regular basis. I have received many reports that people use my publications at churches and Bible studies and sometimes people replace their dedicated electronic Bibles with Kindles.

Your publishers are working withing constraints of a limited format (MobiPocket, for example there are no floating chapter headers or footers, which is a must in book publishing), please do not cripple it even more from one Kindle version to the next.

Best regards,

OSNOVA

P.S. Please note that the software Kindles (for PC, iPad, Mac, etc.) are even worse because their search functionality is so different from the Kindles.

Last edited by osnova; 09-01-2010 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:16 AM   #95
las^se
las^se began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 - WiFi
Kindle 3 and Norwegian edition

Hello,

Thanks for your work!

If I send you a norwegian edition of the bible (same procedure as the chineese one you made earlier), is it possible to make a Norwegian edition as well.

The Kindle 3 search problem must be fixed first though. Hope Amazon fix it soon!

brgds,
las^se
las^se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #96
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not really true...

Quote:
Osnova,

That is not true exactly on my Kindle LG WiFi 3. When I search for mt.22.1, I get BOTH links to Matthew 22:1 AND Matthew 2:21. Thus, it still works fine for me. Also, I do not have to press Find twice to get there. I just press the 5-way key ONCE and I get to the links. Then I choose which link and press it once again. I tested on the NET and KJV. I cannot speak for the other versions.

When I search for ge.24, I get 69 results but most are all the verses in Genesis 24. The location I want is the second. Again, that still lets me get where I want. In addition, if I search for ge.24.1, I get only one result - the correct one. Thus, if we want a chapter, we MUST designate the first verse. That is also not a problem for me. However, just pressing ge24 still gets to verse one as the second choice. That is sufficient for me.

I just found the dots (.) are now UNNECESSARY. Just use mt221 or ge241 and you get to the locations. That is major IMPROVEMENT in your DVJ.

Also, Zondervan did reply to me in response to the email I sent as follows:

"Dear Sir,

Frankly, I have no idea what you are talking about. I have not heard of Osnova in any shape or form.

The NIV is a licensed product that I work closely with Biblica on to approve. We strive to maintain its integrity.

Caryn Toering
Sent from Blackberry Tour"

Thus, resend your request from your PC to that email address and you WILL reach her. Do NOT click on the link at the Zondervan web site to send the email. Evidently, Outlook won't deliver any email sent that way since it has determined it is an Unprotected address and will only send to a Protected address.

By the way, thanks for that abbreviation page. I saved a copy and printed it out to take to Bible Study. That page should be accessible from inside all the Osnova Bibles.

Finally, Amazon sells a "Bible in a Year" Kindle book. I didn't see your DVJ there. Please work on getting that one linked to bible verses AND dates of the year. I'll only buy that one when I see your handiwork included in it.

Another improvment I'd like to see is a way to go directly from one Bible version to another with the verse like: KJVmt316 or NETge24. I'm not sure this is even possible.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-01-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #97
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

sirmaru,

I have the same behavior of K3. I am glad to hear that you see it as improvement. At least the sky is not falling as I first thought

My personal preference though would be to have unique anchors. In Kindle 2 and DX, you enter the combination and press enter twice and do not even look at the search results. Now we need to look at the search results and select the right one.

I am surprised at the contents and tone of Ms. Toering's email to you. She responded to my email a couple of months ago. This time she did not even send a response. Maybe they are working with Biblica on adding DVJ or something similar and I am in the way. I've just sent her a reminder that OSNOVA is me

As to your suggestion for jumping between different translations. Linking between separate books on the Kindle is impossible as far as I know. There is a possibility of combining several translations into one book and interlinking them or having one translation over the other verse-by-verse. It is technically possible but I am not sure it will be a comfortable reading experience. When I have time, I'll make a test and see how it looks.

Last edited by osnova; 09-02-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:02 PM   #98
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

las^se,

Send what you have, I'll see what I can do. Please make sure that it is public domain.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #99
sirmaru
Wizard

The One Year Bible, NLT

Osnova,

I notice that "The One Year Bible, NLT" has been pulled by Amazon and is being upgraded. It will now be released on Sep 30, 2010.

Are you adding DVJ to it? If so, that's great. I held off buying awaiting your improvements to it.

Right now I use the Dramatized NIV on the NowBible for daily readings which would still be better than that one.

However, if a daily Bible Study should start in Church with a lot of folks, that Kindle version would be far better.

In addition I may want to rotate annually between the two options. The NowBible speaks the verses and one cannot really think or re-read that way.

"The One Year Bible, NLT" would be a more relaxed read allowing for notes and highlights.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:23 PM   #100
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

No. I am not adding DVJ to NLT. Nobody approached me on that. Maybe they are doing it on their own.

I have communicated with Ms. Toering. She said that she did not realize OSNOVA is me when she wrote to you. Since that short email I haven't heard back.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:51 AM   #101
ninjabunny
ninjabunny began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
this is an interesting thread as i was trying to find a good bible for my kindle... i couldnt find a free kjv ebook for kindle so i decided to make my own. the system that i used was very similar to yours but i think the indexing syntax can be a bit more streamlined.
currently, you use "mt.22.1" format for indexing. on the K3, it is too slow to have to type all the #s so what i did was just use the letter of the # without having to press alt. eg: mt.22.1 = mtww.q, or replace the "." with a letter like "L"(for the "-")

it is much faster search and easier for k3 owners
i also wrote a script to automate the injection of the anchors into the correct locations
ninjabunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #102
Heroking
Heroking began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hi Osnova,

Recently, I noticed that the Bible on my Kindly was updated. I like many of the new features , e.g. bolder font for bible book titles but there is something you need to fix. The title of Galatians is reading "1 Galatians"

Please work on this.
Heroking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #103
Heroking
Heroking began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hi Osnova,

I also support the idea by ninjabunny in the post above

"currently, you use "mt.22.1" format for indexing. on the K3, it is too slow to have to type all the #s so what i did was just use the letter of the # without having to press alt. eg: mt.22.1 = mtww.q, or replace the "." with a letter like "L"(for the "-")

Please consider implementing this on the K3 Bible to make search much faster because for now, your Bible is the best one can have on K3.

Regards.

it is much faster search and easier for k3 owners
Heroking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #104
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Aaaah! Ashes and Sackcloth!

I have just found that Kindle 3 is breaking DVJ! I've already sent a letter to Amazon asking for a fix but the DVJ is no longer as reliable as it was on DX and Kindle 2.

Please submit your bug reports to kindle-feedback@amazon.com (or their other feedback emails) so that they would pay attention to this disaster.

My email to Amazon:

Dear Amazon team,

A number of my Bible publications for the Kindle use what I call the Direct Verse Jump or DVJ (for example, B0030T1DPY, B002VWKFJ6, B002V1I4I6, B00332EWJC, B0033PSG1Y). The idea can be used for any large structured books or book collections, not just Bibles.

Basically, DVJ uses unique text anchors printed in white to identify
each verse and chapter in the Bible (or other books). Searching for those unique anchors (e.g. jn.3.16 for John 3:16 or ge.3.5 for Genesis 3:5, ge.24 for Genesis chapter 24 in general) and pressing find twice allows jumping to any verse in the Bible on the Kindle in mere seconds. Every anchor is unique and on Kindle 2 and Kindle DX, the search function identifies each anchor uniquely (only one search result for each anchor). For example, searching for ge.24 returns only 1 result on Kindle DX and Kindle 2.

However, the search functionality on the new Kindle 3 behaves
differently, breaking the Direct Verse Jump functionality, which would completely destroy the usefulness of DVJ Bibles. For example, if I search for ge.24, the new Kindle 3 returns 23 results (ge.2.4, ge.24, ge.24.1 and on and on). If I just press "find" twice after search string ge.24, the text will jump to ge.2.4 (the first search result), which will be an error. Similar errors are with many other search. As another example, if I search for non-existent ge.4.31 (there is no such verse in the Bible), the DX and Kindle 2 will currently state that there are 0 search results; however, the new Kindle finds ge.43.1, which is again a mistake.

I understand that sometimes there may be a need for some fuzzy searching and treating periods or word-endings in a loose way; however, at least please allow the option to turn this fuzzy searching off so that DVJ would still be a viable option. I ask that you please fix this issue as soon as possible because many people rely on DVJ now and I hope many more will in the future. The new Kindles have the right price point. The Bibles with DVJ could open a new huge market for Kindles -- people who read the Bible on the regular basis. I have received many reports that people use my publications at churches and Bible studies and sometimes people replace their dedicated electronic Bibles with Kindles.

Your publishers are working withing constraints of a limited format (MobiPocket, for example there are no floating chapter headers or footers, which is a must in book publishing), please do not cripple it even more from one Kindle version to the next.

Best regards,

OSNOVA

P.S. Please note that the software Kindles (for PC, iPad, Mac, etc.) are even worse because their search functionality is so different from the Kindles.
I very much doubt that Amazon are going to regard breaking your cunning search keys as a "disaster", unfortunately.

One solution would be to re-do your search keys using a character that the Kindle's search engine does not ignore. Perhaps "-" would work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #105
sirmaru
Wizard

Direct Verse Jump working perfectly and BETTER.

For me just typing "mt41" is just great. The dots are not required anymore.

By the way "The One Year Bible NLT" has been released again. They updated it with the 2004 update.

When I start each day reading, I bookmark that day. Then I read NT, Ps, Pr and bookmark again for the next day. Then I go back and read the OT if I have time.

Then simply jump to the bookmark for the next day and delete the bookmark for the prior day.

If I find something valuable, I just use the DVJ on my KJV and my NET and place highlights and / or notes there. I only use daily bookmarks for my One Year NLT. That way it is not cluttered up and only used for its sole purpose.

Its fascinating how all this comes together.

My only problem was that my first K3 with the old firmware did a reset in Church everytime I powered up there. I'm hoping my 2nd K3 with the new firmware will be immune from that tomorrow when I do the "Church Test" again. If it happens again, I'll have to use only my NowBible in Church and use the K3 only at home.

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-11-2010 at 04:29 PM.