Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 02:02 AM   #91
whyzee
whyzee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does ADEPTKey Generator 1.1.app work on snow leopard?

Hi there,

I downloaded the app onto my snow leopard (10.6.2). But when I double-clicked on the app, nothing popped up. I also tried right clik->run, still nothing. Just want to check if the app works for snow leopard?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epstewart View Post
OK, I have made an AppleScript script that can generate an ADEPT Key in an adeptkey.der file (or a file by any other name the user chooses) on a Mac OS X platform. You can download this script's .zip file from

link removed

This is a script in the form of an application called ADEPTKey_Generator_1.1. To use it, un-zip the ADEPTKey_Generator_1.1.app.zip file to retrieve the script app. Then double click on the script app's icon. A standard "Where should I put the ADEPT key output file?" dialog will appear. You can Save As: any file name (default is adeptkey.der) to any folder (default is Desktop).

The script then uses "shell script" UNIX code provided by one of the participants in this thread to generate a "private key" that is saved in the ADEPT key output file and then can be used by the ineptepub.py Python script to decrypt downloaded ADE books.

ADEPTKey_Generator_1.1 should not be used until the user has (1) created an Adobe account online using a web browser and then (2) authorized that account in Adobe Digital Editions on the Mac. It requires that a ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Digital Editions/activation.dat file be present in the user's home folder hierarchy. Activating/authorizing the ADE account causes that file to be created.

Also, if more than one user have ADE accounts, the most recent one authorized is the one ADEPTKey_Generator_1.1 will use in generating the ADEPT Key.

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 12-22-2009 at 04:50 AM.
whyzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #92
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Yes it does work on Snow Leopard.
You have to have all the pycrypot etc installed though, as well as the Developer tools from the SL Instal CD if you haven't already got them installed.
H
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #93
epstewart
Connoisseur
epstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone 3G 16GB, B&N nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee View Post
Hi there,

I downloaded the app onto my snow leopard (10.6.2). But when I double-clicked on the app, nothing popped up. I also tried right clik->run, still nothing. Just want to check if the app works for snow leopard?

Thanks!
whyzee,

I wrote ADEPTKey_Generator_1.1, but I don't know for sure about whether it works in Snow Leopard, as I am just using Leopard.

Try downloading

link removed

and un-zip it if it doesn't unzip automatically. You'll see an ADEPTKey Generator 1.1 folder that contains the script app itself and also a .scpt file that you can open in Script Editor to see the source code. You can click on the Run button in the Script Editor window to run the script from there. When you do, it may work. If not, you may be able to tell more about why it isn't working.

Good luck,
Eric

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 12-22-2009 at 04:51 AM.
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #94
whyzee

pthwaite - Yes, I have developement kits installed (all 3 versions: 10.4u, 10.5 and 10.6). Also installed python2.6 and built/installed pycrypto2.0.1 from source (which required SDK 10.4u). Tried python test.py and ineptepdf and they all worked but had no luck running ADEPTKey_Generator_1.1.app.

Eric - thanks a lot for the source. I'll test it and post my results.

Y
Old 12-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #95
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

whyzee,
I tell a lie, it doesn't work on 10.6.2.
It did work on my earlier version (I've been running Snow Leopard since Sept and the script came out after that. So something has altered.

I get the following error now:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf script error reportpdf.pdf (25.6 KB, 357 views)
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #96
epstewart
Connoisseur
epstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enoughepstewart will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
whyzee,
It did work on my earlier version (I've been running Snow Leopard since Sept and the script came out after that. So something has altered.

Howard,

Did the script app work in Snow Leopard before, but then stop working?

When it worked, were you running a version of Snow Leopard other than 10.6.2?

Looking at the PDF you attached, I see Code Type: PPC (Translated), making me think the app is being changed from native Intel code (which I believe it contains) to Power PC code. It's almost as if it's executing in Rosetta.

At the moment, I haven't the faintest idea what to do to correct it. If I were running Snow Leopard, I'd try saving the original script in Script Editor as an app again, just to see if that helps. Perhaps whyzee would like to try that and report back?

Cheers,
Eric

Edit: After I posted that, it occurred to me that (and I may be wrong about this) an AppleScript when saved as an app may not contain native code. It may consist of bytecodes that still have to be interpreted on the host computer.

Last edited by epstewart; 12-03-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:25 PM   #97
epstewart
Connoisseur

Quote:
whyzee,

After my last post, I discovered:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/Appl.../msg00121.html

It seems to imply that under Snow Leopard an AppleScript can't be saved as an application, only as an "application bundle," which is what saving as an "application" does under Snow Leopard. Maybe if I save my app as an application bundle under Leopard, it'll work under S.L. I'm going to experiment and see if I can make that a reality ...

Eric
Old 12-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #98
epstewart
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by epstewart View Post
After my last post, I discovered:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/Appl.../msg00121.html

It seems to imply that under Snow Leopard an AppleScript can't be saved as an application, only as an "application bundle," which is what saving as an "application" does under Snow Leopard. Maybe if I save my app as an application bundle under Leopard, it'll work under S.L. I'm going to experiment and see if I can make that a reality ...

Eric
OK, you guys who can't get my ADEPTKey_Generator_1.1 script app to work under Snow Leopard, would you kindly try:

link removed

It's the same source code as before, but I saved it as an "application bundle," not just an "application."

You can get the source code and the compiled app here:

link removed

Cheers,
Eric

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 12-22-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #99
whyzee

Eric,
The app bundle works for SL.
Thx!
Y
Old 12-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #100
whyzee

I just installed rosseta and tried the 1.1 version of the app and it worked. The 1.1.app must have been compiled on ppc. Strangely, SL didn't prompt me to install rosseta when I ran it yesterday - must be a bug/feature of the SL.
Y
Old 12-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #101
epstewart
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee View Post
I just installed rosseta and tried the 1.1 version of the app and it worked. The 1.1.app must have been compiled on ppc. Strangely, SL didn't prompt me to install rosseta when I ran it yesterday - must be a bug/feature of the SL.
Y
As the one who wrote and compiled the 1.1 version on my Intel-based iMac, I can tell you that it was not in fact compiled on a PowerPC, though! I am curious as to whether you were allowed to check "Open in Rosetta" for the script app itself, and if you actually did so. I really don't understand this, but the problem seems to disappear with

link removed

whether or not Rosetta is installed/used.

Cheers,
Eric

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 12-22-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:29 AM   #102
epstewart
Connoisseur

My Blog Post Telling How to Use INEPT

I have posted to my Viva eBooks! blog this post giving detailed instructions as to how to use INEPT to bypass ADEPT encryption so that you can read ADEPT/EPUB books on devices such as an iPhone. I invite anyone reading this thread to make use of it. Many of you are old hands and already know the ins and outs of INEPT, but I would invite you to check my post for mistakes, omissions, lack of clarity, etc. Make any comments and suggestions you like, either here in this thread or as comments to the blog post itself. Thanks in advance...

Eric
Old 12-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #103
pthwaite
Fanatic

Eric,
as Whyzee says, you modified app works fine. However you have to be choosy as to how you unzip it, zipeg doesn't work but stuffit does.

This is a common problem related to earlier posts on the epub zipping etc

cheers, Howard
Old 12-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #104
epstewart
Connoisseur

Quote:
Eric,
as Whyzee says, you modified app works fine. However you have to be choosy as to how you unzip it, zipeg doesn't work but stuffit does.

This is a common problem related to earlier posts on the epub zipping etc

cheers, Howard
Howard,

You're talking about how you unzip the downloaded e-book, right? I.e., not about how you unzip my ADEPTKey_Generator_1.1a file. On my Mac running Mac OS X 10.5.8, or Leopard, just double clicking on the e-book file whose .epub extension has been changed to .zip causes Archive Utility to unzip the file, and the resulting folder can then be re-zipped with ePub Zip 1.0.2 and then successfully input to ineptepub. I'm not sure why Stuffit or Zipeg enters the picture???

Felicitations,
Eric
Old 12-06-2009, 12:42 PM   #105
pthwaite
Fanatic

Eric,
No, I'm talking about unzipping your downloaded app.
Generally I use Zipeg for unzipping, but occasionally it runs into problems. (it appears to work but the unzipped app doesn't work. If I unzip using stuffit (the same download) it works and of course vice-versa. (The inbuilt Archive utility doesn't always work for some files which is why I have stuffit and zipeg too)
Once the app is correctly unzipped, it works fine, just like the command line tools. This problem isn't unique to your zipped file, it occurs with a number. I've just learned over the years that archiving/de-archiving packages are not all equal.