Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #91
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
The key thing is that we get this post back to its basic premise: Astak has released a 5 inch eBook Reader for $199 that is infinitely stronger and more featured than any other 5 inch out there.
Emphasis mine.

Hi Robert, how do you measure the "infinite strength" of the Astak 5 inch eBook Reader?
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #92
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere (these Astak threads are ridiculously huge)... but:

Will the Pocket Pro support both PDF zooming and reflow? Custom zoom %'s or only a standard list? Fit to width, fit to screen? Thanks in advance!
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #93
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere (these Astak threads are ridiculously huge)... but:

Will the Pocket Pro support both PDF zooming and reflow? Custom zoom %'s or only a standard list? Fit to width, fit to screen? Thanks in advance!
zoom level one is the same as the real PDF with a page fitting on the screen. There are 4 other levels but they are all reflow mode with different sized text. Images are not zoomed. There is also a rotate option. At least that is how the new firmware works on a EZ Reader Basic. I assume it will be the same on the Pocket Pro.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #94
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Reflow and PDF Zooming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post

Dear Kralik:

Yes, the Pocket PRO with ADE gives you 5 levels of font increase on pdf and ADE provides full reflow.

Thank you,
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #95
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Emphasis mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Emphasis mine.

Hi Robert, how do you measure the "infinite strength" of the Astak 5 inch eBook Reader?
Dear Donnageddon:

OK, maybe I do use words that try to express my feelings in sumnation. If "infinite strength" offends... I withdraw. You should try getting online and trying to answer twenty questions every day... you fall back on sumnations.

Look, the Sony does not even have a replaceable battery and an SD card slot. The Pocket PRO is so easily and pretty thoroughly more full featured and the features are important ones.

I measure strength on an eBook Reader by several factors: speed of page turns, customer support, pricing, formats supported, languages supported, reflow, MP3 stereo, definitely the ability to add more content via SD and for the user to replace their own battery (that... to me is a basic right), and other features such as TTS that are outstanding on a 5 inch.

I am sorry if I offended you... but this is a fairly strong device... this Pocket PRO.
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #96
Robertb

Thank you, Dale. Yes same on Pocket PRO

[QUOTE=DaleDe;549818]zoom level one is the same as the real PDF with a page fitting on the screen. There are 4 other levels but they are all reflow mode with different sized text. Images are not zoomed. There is also a rotate option. At least that is how the new firmware works on a EZ Reader Basic. I assume it will be the same on the Pocket Pro.

Dear Dale:

The Pocket PRO displays Vertically and horizontally!

Yes, people use the term "zoom" wrongly. Technically, eBook Readers change the font size and do not "zoom" per se (as far as I know).
Old 08-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #97
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
I measure strength on an eBook Reader by several factors: speed of page turns, customer support, pricing, formats supported, languages supported, reflow, MP3 stereo, definitely the ability to add more content via SD and for the user to replace their own battery (that... to me is a basic right), and other features such as TTS that are outstanding on a 5 inch.
Question asked, and answered.

Much better.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #98
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
[QUOTE=Robertb;549853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
zoom level one is the same as the real PDF with a page fitting on the screen. There are 4 other levels but they are all reflow mode with different sized text. Images are not zoomed. There is also a rotate option. At least that is how the new firmware works on a EZ Reader Basic. I assume it will be the same on the Pocket Pro.

Dear Dale:

Yes, people use the term "zoom" wrongly. Technically, eBook Readers change the font size and do not "zoom" per se (as far as I know).
I'm not sure about other readers, but the Kindle allows you to zoom in to enlarge pictures.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:13 PM   #99
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

And Robert, I wasn't offended. I just wanted to understand the facts behind the hype and hyperbole.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #100
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Emphasis mine.

Don't you know, marketingspeak doesn't require quantification!
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #101
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
My synopsis of various Pocket Pro features

There is nothing new here but I thought I'd try to bring it all together in one place to make it easier on people.

__________________________________________________ _____________

The new 5 inch EZ Reader Pocket PRO previously announced, should ship the last week of August – in all six colors! New capabilities on the Pocket Pro;
• has the new EPSON controller and 400 MHz
• has 8 levels of grey
• has TEXT-TO-SPEECH (i.e. it reads to you)
• displays 12 ebook formats and 20 languages
• SD card expandable to 16GB
• promotional price $199 until the end of Sept. 2009

Also the EZ Reader Basic, 6 inch model is $259.

Both the Basic and Pocket Pro include (in the box) the reader with cover, USB cable, AC charger, wrist leash, ear buds, and screwdriver – to change the battery.

In North America, to pre-order the Pocket PRO or order the EZ Reader Basic, go to http://<span style="color:Blue">www....der.com</span>. For FPO/APO or in other countries go to www.astak.com.

Recently Astak was certified and approved to pre-load Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) onto all of their reading devices. ADE provides automatic pdf reflow.

of San Jose, California, a Team Research Company, started business in 1992. They have risen to be one of the leaders in Security Cameras, Flash Memory Products, and Consumer Electronics.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #102
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
[QUOTE=Robertb;549853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dear Dale:

It would have been nice if the menu had said font size but since it says zoom and Hanlin calls it zoom we are stuck with the confusing double meaning. Hows your manual coming?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #103
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Info and Pics and more info
Leave it to some retired yokel, who has more time on his hands than satan...

Good Job, Slayda!
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:49 PM   #104
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I don't think there's a significant problem with information about products from smaller companies...it's the relatively shameless abuse of the website by representatives from those companies for advertising.

I don't mind hearing about the company's news, though I strongly dislike the way they're trying to weave advertising into it directly. I'm sure that sentiment is shared by quite a few folks.
I'm assuming you're referring to the numerous threads that robertb has started here pimping Astek's wares? To be totally honest, his incessant posting about how great his own company's products are have ensured that I will never buy anything made by them. I even work in marketing and I think his methods cross the line.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #105
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
OK, maybe I do use words that try to express my feelings in sumnation. If "infinite strength" offends... I withdraw. You should try getting online and trying to answer twenty questions every day... you fall back on sumnations.
Robert,

Might I suggest you guys put up a comparison table listing the Asktak, Sony and CyBook 5inch devices...(on your web site) the features and formats, price, warranty of each and let the facts speak for themselves.

This way you can have an objective listing of the facts that you could point people too rather than some subjective post saying "infinitely better".

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote