Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-07-2023, 11:21 AM   #91
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
And what should be on the Sage "premium"?
The creaking case when you hold it tighter?
That you can scribble on it, but not particularly comfortably?
That the installed hardware components (except for the screen) were modern 10 years ago?
That its battery life is very moderate due to the old components?

OK, it lasts longer than the Tolino Epos 3, but it's just as outdated.
None of my Kobos have ever creaked, including the Sage. I have no idea what you do with your Kobos to make them creak.

I'm not going to list the features that make the Sage premium in my opinion; you can google them easily enough and none of my arguments will convince you anyway, just as none of your arguments will change my opinion.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 11:34 AM   #92
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
None of my Kobos have ever creaked, including the Sage. I have no idea what you do with your Kobos to make them creak.
Take, hold and use
Quote:
I'm not going to list the features that make the Sage premium in my opinion; you can google them easily enough and none of my arguments will convince you anyway, just as none of your arguments will change my opinion.
Then I make higher demands on what is called premium.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2023, 11:41 AM   #93
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Then please explain why all manufacturers leave (1 till 2) /1000 of the capacity at the beginning unpartitioned and only then partition the rest with FAT32/exFAT - the better quality brands take a higher value.
Kobo doesn't follow this - and the interesting thing is: SDs from defective Kobos work great again after they have been repartitioned according to the above guidelines.
Have you ever looked at a Kobo µSD card's partitioning scheme? You would notice that there is space at the start of the card that is not partitioned. Much like on your SSD or HDD where the boot block is not part of the partitioned space though information on the partitioned space is stored there.

To quote part of the message to which you are responding:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There is also a 16MB unpartitioned space which is most noted for being where the serial number is stored though it also has the boot information and other bits and bobs.
And once again, the spare blocks are not visible as part of the storage space. The on-board controller takes care the logical to physical translation to spread the writes across the entire erase pool in hopes of preventing premature failure.

I've attached an antique white paper from SanDisk for your reading enjoyment.

Ignorance may be your bliss but the rest of us just find it laughable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WPaperWearLevelv1.0.pdf (137.7 KB, 29 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:05 PM   #94
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The term "premium" demands features that Kobo cannot provide...
No, it doesn't. A Kobo may not provide the features you want but that doesn't mean it won't provide the features others want.

It would be like saying a well made, high quality pocket knife isn't "premium" because it doesn't have a screwdriver blade and mini-scissors included. I, personally, don't want to carry an oversized, over-featured pocket knife. Nor do I want to own an oversized, over-featured eReader.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:09 PM   #95
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
He applies pressure on them to make them creak... why, I have no idea.
Advert
Old 07-07-2023, 12:10 PM   #96
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Take, hold and use
I take, hold and use my Kobos all the time. They don't creak.
Old 07-07-2023, 12:34 PM   #97
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
And once again, the spare blocks are not visible as part of the storage space. The on-board controller takes care the logical to physical translation to spread the writes across the entire erase pool in hopes of preventing premature failure.
Yes. it's hidden inside the Flash chip. Not even in the SD card interface, which can have two Flash chips on the full size cards. The Flash chips soldered on iPhone, iPad, Kobo, Kindle, android phone Mobos are the same technology as the chips inside an SD Card r USB memory stick. Only higher grade SSDs use different technology. The enterprise SSDs can have 25 complete writes a day for 5 years now. The cheap consumer Flash chips on SD cards and gadget Mobos don't have as much reserved space but they all have a built in controller. You can't see that reserved space with any tool, it's not spare visible partitioned space that's not formatted.

A bigger issue today than endurance can be the block erase speed.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 02:38 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm not saying Boox is lousy. But I am saying color eInk is lousy regardless of the brand.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 02:51 PM   #99
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2

This thread has turned amusing now.
Neither side listening to the other, each intent on 'proving' that it is right.
Exactly why debates are a total waste of time.

ps I wonder how you make a Libra 2 creak? Perhaps if you could do that, the creaking would become a desirable feature to be sought in all premium ereaders
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 03:24 PM   #100
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post

Exactly why debates are a total waste of time.

ps I wonder how you make a Libra 2 creak? Perhaps if you could do that, the creaking would become a desirable feature to be sought in all premium ereaders
Yes, it's entertaining at the very least *munches popcorn*
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 04:04 PM   #101
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
Some people haven't learned not to feed the trolls.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 04:58 PM   #102
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

Igor worked at it for ages to get the perfect creak on his master's Libra 2 cover.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 05:16 PM   #103
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Igor worked at it for ages to get the perfect creak on his master's Libra 2 cover.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 05:19 PM   #104
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What hump?
Old 07-07-2023, 05:25 PM   #105
DNSB
Bibliophagist

“Never argue with an idiot. You’ll never convince the idiot that you’re correct, and bystanders won’t be able to tell who’s who.”

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.”

But someone who insists on pontificating on topics where their ignorance is immense is such a tempting target...