Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-19-2023, 04:43 AM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I have trouble reading light fonts, so it's almost always Constantia for me.
You could try one of the versions of ChareInk6 that have added weight. I made the original with added weight for use with a Sony Reader PRS-T1 that didn't have the ability to up the weight. Turns out it worked well with Kindles that back then didn't have much in the way of font features.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:57 AM   #92
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The header is really useful to decide if I am going to be able to finish the chapter. When I'm reading in bed and getting tired, I can see how much I have to go and see if I can manage to finish the chapter. Or if I can finish the chapter if I have to put down my book to do something else.
Kobo used to have a nice feature where one tap could bring up the stats (and you could see chapter remaining) and another tap to get back to reading. I wish they would bring that back.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2023, 07:39 AM   #93
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Here's mine, kind of vanilla but I haven't seen anyone post a two-column setup yet.

I use the standard Kindle interface on my Scribe, with the narrowest margins and line spacing available. I prefer justified text and on the bottom left I like to see the amount of time left in the chapter.

For fonts, I tend to prefer sans serif typefaces; this one is Atkinson Hyperlegible, size 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Scribe layout 3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	862.9 KB
ID:	202145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Scribe layout 5.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	949.6 KB
ID:	202147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Scribe layout 4.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	867.1 KB
ID:	202148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Scribe layout 6.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	965.2 KB
ID:	202149  

Last edited by BionicGecko; 06-19-2023 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Added more images
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 08:35 AM   #94
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
If you set your line spacing and margins you are doing as much with the settings as most of us do.
+1

I really only have two settings, day mode and night mode: they differ by DarkMode and couple sizes up or down in font size. And some times I don't change the font size.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:46 AM   #95
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
+1

I really only have two settings, day mode and night mode: they differ by DarkMode and couple sizes up or down in font size. And some times I don't change the font size.
I only have one setting as to font type and size, margins, line height, headers/footers et al. I set it when I get a new ereader (with Kobos, after installing patches) and I usually never touch the settings again, except for the frontlight and sometimes to try a new font.

I never use the dark mode on any of my devices, because I can't read a light text on a dark background. Instead, I use warm light and dimmers where necessary.

Last edited by Sirtel; 06-19-2023 at 09:49 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2023, 10:12 AM   #96
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Help! How do I start a new thread?
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 11:00 AM   #97
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
The header is really useful to decide if I am going to be able to finish the chapter. When I'm reading in bed and getting tired, I can see how much I have to go and see if I can manage to finish the chapter. Or if I can finish the chapter if I have to put down my book to do something else.
I agree. That is why I use kepub instead of ePub on my Kobo in fact.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 11:04 AM   #98
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I only have one setting as to font type and size, margins, line height, headers/footers et al. I set it when I get a new ereader (with Kobos, after installing patches) and I usually never touch the settings again, except for the frontlight and sometimes to try a new font.
Yeah, I messed with the settings to make the margins small, the lines tight and I found a font I like. Then I leave it and don't mess with it book to book (unless the publisher did something idiotic like set the body for font-size:small).

I do like fonts though, so I do check different ones out from time to time. On my Nook, I like Georgia. But I remembered thinking Georgia didn't look as good on Kobo, which is how I found Literata Book in the first place.

Someone (edit: strangelove42) posted a screenshot of a Kobo with Georgia and it looks pretty good. Maybe I'll give it another go.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 11:21 AM   #99
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
Help! How do I start a new thread?
The button is at the forum level. (see image)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New Thread.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	202155  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 01:57 PM   #100
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I never use the dark mode on any of my devices, because I can't read a light text on a dark background. Instead, I use warm light and dimmers where necessary.
I don't change the font, weight, line height, margins also. I do change brightness (but not yellow light) for light vs dark reading.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:14 PM   #101
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
For those who do like a lot of excess space when reading, what's the reason behind it?
I don't know what you mean by "excess" space. Personally I like some space between the lines, it makes reading easier for me. I don't really understand why anyone would (in my estimation) jam lines too close together but I understand that everyone has different preferences.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 05:19 PM   #102
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I too like my margins more or less the same size, but I'm not willing to sacrifice text. I sacrifice headers and footers instead and only use the progress bar to indicate where I am in the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I turn off both headers and footers.
Same here. On the PocketBook, just a tap in the middle of the screen and I can find my page number.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:20 PM   #103
strangelove42
strangelove42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by strangelove42 View Post
...my original settings from a year ago.
Had to wait hours for this to finally post.

Here's the evolution of my current set up. I settled on Libertinus Serif at a 23 font size with 20 margins. Used it for about nine months and it worked well.

But I recently started having eyesight and concentration issues so I was looking for new settings to help with that. Currently using Crimson Pro at a 24 font size with 40 margins.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Libertinus Serif-23 Font-20 margins.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	202159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crimson Pro-24 font-40 margins.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	361.8 KB
ID:	202160  
strangelove42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 05:24 PM   #104
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
As for paragraph spaces, that's a no-go. I can easily get taken out of the book with them.
Agreed. This is one place where I will DeDRM library books and fix them for reading. It's especially obnoxious when there are dialogue exchanges of a few words each.
Old 06-19-2023, 05:36 PM   #105
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know what you mean by "excess" space. Personally I like some space between the lines, it makes reading easier for me. I don't really understand why anyone would (in my estimation) jam lines too close together but I understand that everyone has different preferences.
8-10 years ago I read happily on my 6'' Kindles with their large margins and line height. I sometimes saw pics here about other people's settings (mainly on Kobos) and wondered how one could even read with those ultra-narrow margins and line spacing. But after I moved to Kobo readers myself, I gradually discovered I liked much smaller margins, line-height and font size than I previously used.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote