Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2021, 05:22 AM   #91
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I find when they put "a novel" in as part of the title that really is annoying. I'm not stupid and I know I'm reading a novel.
But what if 'a novel' is not part of the title, but the actual title, as in The Novel, by James A. Michener.

And what if they made a movie of The Novel and called it The Novel, The Movie?

But what if - what if, I say! - The Novel was actually a short story, and they lied to you and said it was actually a novel? You know, like so many Indy writers falsely claim with their novels. I would feel insulted, especially if I did it. (There's nothing worse than insulting yourself!)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-10-2021 at 05:31 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:10 AM   #92
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
But what if 'a novel' is not part of the title, but the actual title, as in The Novel, by James A. Michener.

And what if they made a movie of The Novel and called it The Novel, The Movie?

But what if - what if, I say! - The Novel was actually a short story, and they lied to you and said it was actually a novel? You know, like so many Indy writers falsely claim with their novels. I would feel insulted, especially if I did it. (There's nothing worse than insulting yourself!)
I much prefer to insult myself than be insulted. Saving others the trouble always seems like the polite thing to do.

As for truth in advertising, I haven't yet seen a title including "a novella" or "a novellete", which seems a missed opportunity. For the author that really isn't sure I suggest "novelish", for those epics perhaps: "a doorstop", although that doesn't work so well in these days of e-readers.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2021, 06:19 AM   #93
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Sometimes it’s “s’” and sometimes it’s “s’s”. There are rules how it works and also some exceptions.
From what I remember from school, if the word or name has a single syllable, it's girls', and if the syllables are more than one, then it's Cassius's.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:48 AM   #94
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm surprised no one has brought up the matter of author attribution, where the name in big bright flashing letters is already famous and now resting on their laurels, and the one in tiny print in the corner is the one that actually did the work that the publisher is now trying to palm off on you under false pretences.

There are many examples, but for the full Where's Wally experience you need to look to someone like Clive Cussler with co-authors hidden in red-print over explosions and other such tricks.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #95
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
From what I remember from school, if the word or name has a single syllable, it's girls', and if the syllables are more than one, then it's Cassius's.
That's the main rule, but there are some customary exceptions. Also with time an apostrophe may be dropped.
Peek, Frean and Co.
Peek Frean's
Peek Freans
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #96
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Punctuation hurts my head.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #97
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
There are many examples, but for the full Where's Wally experience you need to look to someone like Clive Cussler with co-authors hidden in red-print over explosions and other such tricks.
Enid Blyton books where the real author may not be on the copyright page, only a publisher and not on the cover. They are using the stylised signature as a trademark to sell poor quality adventure stories for gullible parents to buy for their children or grandchildren.

However this is more misleading marketing than "Publishing Practices" which is why I didn't mention it. Also Leslie Charteris hired Ghost Writers, Patterson has a team. The Hardy Boys, Bobbsey Twins, Nancy Drew were all various hired writers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratemeyer_Syndicate
The early Nancy Drew were by Mildred Wirt Benson and are thought to be the best. She had her own career.

See also branded products from Grundig, Telefunken, RCA, Bush, Akai. Those companies don't exist. RCA was gone in 1986. Or companies renting the name from another company:
Motorola phones (Really Lenovo)
Nokia, Alcatel phones (TCL, though TCL always made Alcatel phones)
Philips TVs (an Asian company), Philips AV (another Asian). Philips is now pre 1927: mostly light bulbs and care products.
Virgin Media (Really Dutch UPC, a subsidiary of USA Liberty Global/Global Media, renting name from Richard Branson).
Jacobs Biscuits (two different companies depending on region).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #98
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
As for truth in advertising, I haven't yet seen a title including "a novella" or "a novellete", which seems a missed opportunity.
That's because now they are called Kindle Singles
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #99
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

As for truth in advertising, I haven't yet seen a title including "a novella" or "a novellete", which seems a missed opportunity.

A search "novella" on Kobo's site shows 2 covers with "a novella" on them, one going even further with "an original novella" - all on page 1 of the search results. I lacked the stomach to check page 2.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #100
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
That's the main rule, but there are some customary exceptions. Also with time an apostrophe may be dropped.
Peek, Frean and Co.
Peek Frean's
Peek Freans
This is a not-bad modern "guide" with examples on the head-splitting 's rules:

https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/apostrophe.html

And believe me, at my shop, we see it EVERY which way--and "right" versus "wrong" also seem to be heavily dependent on when/where you went to school. I grew up with the no 's after words or names that ended in s period, but it's patent that that's changed.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #101
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That's because now they are called Kindle Singles
Kindle Singles are DOA.

Hitch
Old 11-10-2021, 01:38 PM   #102
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Kindle Singles are DOA.

Hitch
Fine, fine. However, the link I provided goes to: Last Light (Novella) (Kindle Single) by Dean Koontz. So there's at least one out there that does say 'a Novella'
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:51 PM   #103
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Fine, fine. However, the link I provided goes to: Last Light (Novella) (Kindle Single) by Dean Koontz. So there's at least one out there that does say 'a Novella'
Yeees, I was just advising those who come along reading. Deader'n Julius Caesar.

H
Old 11-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #104
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I much prefer to insult myself than be insulted. Saving others the trouble always seems like the polite thing to do.

As for truth in advertising, I haven't yet seen a title including "a novella" or "a novellete", which seems a missed opportunity. For the author that really isn't sure I suggest "novelish", for those epics perhaps: "a doorstop", although that doesn't work so well in these days of e-readers.

I have the word 'novella' on my cover (with some additional words), but it's not part of the actual title. Perhaps a missed opportunity.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:02 PM   #105
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
But, Jon....THINK, MAN! THINK! That means you'd never see me again! You would miss me! You would cry! You would feel lost! Abandoned! Disheartened! And so, so alone! *

* This post was made using Vellum! And who else would dare use asterisks in every sentence!
Are you saying you use Vellum? I hope not. Especially when we have Calibre and Sigil.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote