Notices

Old 11-01-2019, 03:24 AM   #91
Reduce_
Member Retired
Reduce_ began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricdelanoche View Post
Should I buy a Boyue earear in order to use OneNote, word ...
And which one ?
From what I've seen, no e-reader currently has support for OneNote- this is not because the ereader is bad, but onenote and other programs (Squid, Sketchbook, etc) do not support e-ink screens. You cannot use it unless you are on A2 mode, and even then it is very, very laggy. You can go on youtube and find people writing on the screen- it is very slow, and I tried it for myself too. The notes app that comes with the tablet is built for e-ink, and that is why it works pretty good, so you can use that instead.
By the way, OneNote is very limited on Android, you only get drawing and text, but no shapes, lines, etc.
Word is okay on A2 mode, but it is slightly annoying when you scroll or move the cursor very far down- the screen takes long to refresh, so it doesn't work too well. Also note that because the screen is larger than 10 inches, you cannot use Office for free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merithyn View Post
Did anyone else notice the problem with Boyue default reader app and epub files? Some words that should be separate are rendered together which is super annoying. I changed the font and layout but nothing helps. The same epubs render fine in KOreader...
Yes, pretty much all of Likebook's epub software doesn't format books properly- best option is to either convert them or use KOreader/Librera Pro. Honestly, the stock reader isn't as great as other alternatives, so using something else instead should work just fine. You can also convert the epub to pdf which will allow you to write on pages if that's your thing.
Reduce_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:11 AM   #92
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduce_ View Post
Yes, pretty much all of Likebook's epub software doesn't format books properly- best option is to either convert them or use KOreader/Librera Pro.
Convert them to what? Mobi? PDF?
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #93
Merithyn
Nameless Being

Yes, I'm now using KOreader for reading epub/texts and Tachiyomi for manga.

Epub format is currently the most popular out there (I have all my books stored in that format too). I do hope they fix their reader to handle epubs properly or even add some other format support like cbz in their next big update that's coming in november but I doubt it.

Anyway, I already got used to alternatives. I probably won't go back to reading with the default app.
Old 11-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #94
Reduce_
Member Retired
Reduce_ began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
Convert them to what? Mobi? PDF?
PDF keeps the formatting, so yes, convert to PDF. This sometimes isn't ideal, so going with another app is the best option- the stock ereader (excluding pdf reader) doesn't have any additional functions that make it more worthwile than other programs to use.

If you want to write on the pages, again, converting to PDF is the best option, but note I've had problems with ink disappearing in large documents or after many back and forth page movements, which is very frusterating.
Reduce_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #95
shak3800
Connoisseur
shak3800 began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus E653
Quote:
From product page:

You can only use it for stress relieve in Boyue reader. I didn't find any other way to use it.
--

I'm not using much of the note taking features. It's just to much of a hassle and PDF-s are really slow on any app I tried even KOreader.

Interestingly it's perfect for big CBZ files (~500MB file). Reading manga with apps like Tachiyomi or KOreader with autocrop feature is fantastic. No need to always convert my manga archives for e-reader anymore. Page turns are also a breeze.

Here you go my crappy phone video but it's the Alita manga on the Alita reader so it should be made.
Hi there and thsnks for the video

May i ask if you are using any specific app settings for tachiyomi? Like regal refresh or bleaching effect or application refresh rate? you can check by long pressing Tachiyomi

Also what is the exact title of the manga?

Last edited by shak3800; 11-04-2019 at 02:53 AM.
shak3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #96
Merithyn
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by shak3800 View Post
Hi there and thsnks for the video

May i ask if you are using any specific app settings for tachiyomi? Like regal refresh or bleaching effect or application refresh rate? you can check by long pressing Tachiyomi

Also what is the exact title of the manga?
Battle Angel Alita, Vol. 6: Angel of Death and the other was Dimension W, Vol. 8 I think.

I have everything on default settings (0ms filtering delay, 20 application refresh rate, 0 image brightness correction, default 240dpi and using system default contrast).

You can bump refresh rate to 40 if you want. The image quality is the same. Also if you check "use regal option" or "full screen" there is no visible difference or maybe, maybe... some minuscule improvement? If not someone can correct me.

In Tachiyomi I just turned off the transition animation, set fit to screen and crop borders and it looks fine to me most of the time. Some faint afterimage can be seen on manga with extensive gray palette otherwise great.

If anyone has figured a better setup feel free to share.

Last edited by Merithyn; 11-04-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #97
shak3800
Connoisseur
shak3800 began at the beginning.

Device: Icarus E653
Quote:
Battle Angel Alita, Vol. 6: Angel of Death and the other was Dimension W, Vol. 8 I think.

I have everything on default settings (0ms filtering delay, 20 application refresh rate, 0 image brightness correction, default 240dpi and using system default contrast).

You can bump refresh rate to 40 if you want. The image quality is the same. Also if you check "use regal option" or "full screen" there is no visible difference or maybe, maybe... some minuscule improvement? If not someone can correct me.

In Tachiyomi I just turned off the transition animation, set fit to screen and crop borders and it looks fine to me most of the time. Some faint afterimage can be seen on manga with extensive gray palette otherwise great.

If anyone has figured a better setup feel free to share.
Thanks for the info do you reommend the alita manga?

Right now i am reading these on my alita

Manga pu diavazw parallila :
1. Tower of god
2. Solo leveling
3. Grand Blue
4. Zombie 100
5. Attack on titan
6. Highschool of the dead
6. God of highschool
7. Made in abyss

Most of the times the reading experience is great but there some rare cases whete text is still to small to read even on 10.3 screen.

I have same settings as you except that i use regal refresh. It seems it reduces ghosting when there is black/grey color especially with colored manga like tower of god.

I have also disabled transitions on Tachiyomi , the default fit to screen and use crop borders. Best sources appear to be at least for me Mangadex and Kissmanga
shak3800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:11 PM   #98
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shak3800 View Post
Thanks for the info do you reommend the alita manga?
Battle Angel Alita is a classic and highly recommended
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #99
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Anyone find a way to change the Power Off wallpaper? Not much point to changing the wallpaper if you can only see it in sleep mode.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:54 AM   #100
Merithyn
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post
Anyone find a way to change the Power Off wallpaper? Not much point to changing the wallpaper if you can only see it in sleep mode.
With latest update it randomly stays on lock screen wallpaper sometimes even when it powers down. It's probably a bug and not intended by design. I think I heard somewhere you can only really change the picture if you root your device. It's annoying yes. They could really change that if you ask me.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:15 AM   #101
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They promised me a year's-end update with some reading app improvements. Let's hope it materializes. Along with power-off wallpaper support, longer shutdown timeout, and the ability to actually use the Notes app (right now, when your arm touches the home button, the app exits and makes it impossible to actually take notes).

Anyone using Koreader or any other third party app reader: have you gotten it to boot these readers on startup? I tried the "Boot from boot" setting with Koreader to no effect.
Old 11-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #102
Hyperduel
Mr. Dork
Hyperduel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis Gen 1 + Gen 3, Fire 10 (2019), Likebook Alita + P78
Looks like this appears to be a dud? I would love using it for Manga but Android 6.0 and maybe never gets updated to 8.00 makes the $500+ USD Cost hard to eat. Yes, I want the SD Card slot so bad (which is a major plus over the Booxs), but poor software is not good as well.
Hyperduel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #103
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
I just got Mimas, even though Alita was already available. But it has no buttons!!!
No buttons, really. Would you ever buy a buttonless phone? Of course not!
So 256 GB card is working fine in Mimas, no reason for it not to work in Alita as well.
Anybody tried 512 GB? No reason for it not to work as well, but still...
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:04 AM   #104
gunnm
Connoisseur
gunnm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW(2018), Boyue T103D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperduel View Post
Looks like this appears to be a dud? I would love using it for Manga but Android 6.0 and maybe never gets updated to 8.00 makes the $500+ USD Cost hard to eat. Yes, I want the SD Card slot so bad (which is a major plus over the Booxs), but poor software is not good as well.
Onyx release so many things in the last months that I think boyue had to react to it somehow. I don't think they are going to abandon everything just now.
gunnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:46 PM   #105
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)

Seriously, has anyone been able to take notes on this thing? My arm keeps touching the home button and closing the app.