Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 03:12 PM   #91
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Thanks to a vacation I managed to do quite well this month; 11 books, 3553 pages, 1 reread, 2 series finished/up to date and 3 new authors. My average page count over the past five years for January is 3530, so I'm on schedule.

I had hoped to finish my current book today, but that doesn't seem likely to happen. Looking at my averages I can see that February is a slower month and in March I usually read a lot, however, looking in detail I can see that that is because I tend to start a really long book in February which I don't finish until March. I do have a long book high on my TBR list, I'm now curious to see if I feel the need to start reading that in the second half of February.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #92
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
This is my first time participating in the Reading Challenge and so far so good.

I met my goals in January by adding completing one or more books by four new authors (all cozy mysteries) and reading two non fiction books.

Hopefully February will be as successful. I think I'll try a different genre this month. Perhaps Ben Aaronovitch's PC Grant series.
Advert
Old 02-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #93
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
If you're a Londoner, you might well enjoy Peter Grant. I know part of my enjoyment comes from my knowledge of the geography. Of course, it's rather out of date -- while I've visited a couple of short visits in recent years (a week each), my real London time was in 1968 when I was there for 3 1/2 months. (In SW7, as it happens.) Though I suspect I'd have enjoyed Peter's irreverence even if I had now knowledge of London at all.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:58 AM   #94
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I finished Watership Down. I enjoyed the first half, it kind of dragged through the second half. I sped read through the final 1/4 because I wanted to finish the book and start something new. I can appreciate why this is a classic. I rated it 3 stars on Goodreads.

I found it a struggle to constantly have to refer to the Lapine Glossary, and I should have taken notes once I learned a new word. But I enjoyed the relationship between the rabbits and overall it was a positive experience.

For my next book, I am pondering Kindred by Octavia E. Butler. I bought it the other day for $3 from a Riffle email. (I also own Parable of the Sower).

When I went to add it to my Goodreads "Want to Read" list, I noticed one of my GR friends rated it 5 and the other rated it 1 (putting it on the 'worst of 2017 shelf. I will start reading to see if I want to continue before I add it to my "currently reading. It does come highly rated overall on GR, but I am sometimes swayed by the opinions of others, and therefore want to give it a shot for myself.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:01 AM   #95
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
For my next book, I am pondering Kindred by Octavia E. Butler. I bought it the other day for $3 from a Riffle email. (I also own Parable of the Sower).

When I went to add it to my Goodreads "Want to Read" list, I noticed one of my GR friends rated it 5 and the other rated it 1 (putting it on the 'worst of 2017 shelf. I will start reading to see if I want to continue before I add it to my "currently reading. It does come highly rated overall on GR, but I am easily interested in the opinions of other, and therefore want to give it a shot for myself.
It's a very odd book. The SF element is completely unexplained, it just happens, and is really incidental. The book is really about slavery in the Southern US, and does give an impression of how terrible is was. The influence on the modern characters was well done, but I didn't ever warm to any of them.

I gave it 3/5 when I read it last year.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-03-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Advert
Old 02-03-2017, 05:30 AM   #96
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post

When I went to add it to my Goodreads "Want to Read" list, I noticed one of my GR friends rated it 5 and the other rated it 1 (putting it on the 'worst of 2017 shelf. I will start reading to see if I want to continue before I add it to my "currently reading. It does come highly rated overall on GR, but I am sometimes swayed by the opinions of others, and therefore want to give it a shot for myself.
For what it's worth, I loved it and gave it 5 stars.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:03 AM   #97
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's a very odd book. The SF element is completely unexplained, it just happens, and is really incidental. The book is really about slavery in the Southern US, and does give an impression of how terrible is was. The influence on the modern characters was well done, but I didn't ever warm to any of them.
Thanks to you and Orlok for your opinions! I appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #98
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I suppose it's finally time to decide on my 2017 challenge.

I met my challenge goals in '14 and '15 but failed miserably in '16. This was partly because my life became more hectic and didn't let up... and still hasn't! I'm not sure when it will settle down more but regardless I'm slowly getting better at working more reading time into my schedule now, and I'm getting better at listening to audiobooks while doing other things which really helps to expand my 'reading' time when free time is in shorter supply.

In 2014 I met my MR challenge of 6,000 pages (I read 9,345) and my GR challenge of 40 books (I read 51 books). In 2015 I met my MR/GR challenge of 50 books (I read 50 exactly). In 2016 I most definitely did not meet my MR/GR challenge of 60 books (I read only 13!).

So I'm going to go with 40 books for 2017. My plan had been to continuously push my challenge up 10 books a year to complement the year number (40 for '14, 50 for '15, 60 for '16, 70 for '17 and so on... that was actually accidental in 2014 and 2015 but I did notice it for 2016). But after my spectacular failure in 2016 and my continuing limited free time, I don't think it wise to go for 70 this year, heh! I'm resetting back to 40 and I'll see how that goes. I've already read I think five this year, but some of those were half read before the new year and anyway I can't guarantee I'll be able to keep that pace throughout the year. With more stress in other areas of my life, I don't want this challenge to 'push' me as I liked in other years but rather just to give me an enjoyable and hopefully easy number to reach for this year (40 pushed me more in 2014 because I wasn't listening to audiobooks as well then; with audiobooks included I hope to have an easier time reaching 40 this year).

In addition, I've had 'subchallenges' in past years and I don't want to give that up. Last year I came up with what I thought was a wonderful subchallenge and then proceeded to utterly fail at it (I didn't even read one book on it!). The plan had been, instead of giving a list of specific books to read throughout the year, to split it up by season. So, I'd have books to read in 'winter' (January-March), then I'd make a new list for spring and so on through the year. I really liked the idea because I could constantly add to my challenge throughout the year and not be beholden to one set list through the year. I made my winter's list and then never read any of those and never made any lists for the other seasons.

So, I'm going to keep the seasonal subchallenge going and hopefully succeed this year! 'Winter' is already one month gone and again I want this year to be easier, so I'm only listing one book to read this season - Dune by Frank Herbert. The challenge is to finish it by the end of March, at which time I'll update my subchallenge for spring with a new list. I chose Dune for a few reasons. I wanted something I hadn't ever listed before (such as the ones I listed last year) and I wanted something I hadn't ever started before (I have some books that I still need to get back to and finish). Since I had decided to only choose one book for winter, I wanted something a little longer. And I wanted something for this season that is less serious or literary and more of a 'fun' and hopefully engrossing read. We'll see how it goes! I sampled the audiobook and it sounds very well done (I especially like the music used) but I'm wary of committing to so many audio hours for one book - it's 21 hours. I've listened to books over 40 hours before but now that I'm listening while doing other things it seems more daunting to choose a longer audiobook.

Anyway, enough prattling; I hope for my own success and wish all the rest of you good reading years!
Old 02-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #99
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
So, I'm going to keep the seasonal subchallenge going and hopefully succeed this year! 'Winter' is already one month gone and again I want this year to be easier, so I'm only listing one book to read this season - Dune by Frank Herbert. The challenge is to finish it by the end of March, at which time I'll update my subchallenge for spring with a new list. I chose Dune for a few reasons. I wanted something I hadn't ever listed before (such as the ones I listed last year) and I wanted something I hadn't ever started before (I have some books that I still need to get back to and finish). Since I had decided to only choose one book for winter, I wanted something a little longer. And I wanted something for this season that is less serious or literary and more of a 'fun' and hopefully engrossing read. We'll see how it goes! I sampled the audiobook and it sounds very well done (I especially like the music used) but I'm wary of committing to so many audio hours for one book - it's 21 hours. I've listened to books over 40 hours before but now that I'm listening while doing other things it seems more daunting to choose a longer audiobook.

Anyway, enough prattling; I hope for my own success and wish all the rest of you good reading years!
Dune was one of the audiobooks that I listened to in January. It is one of my favorites. Later in the year I will listen to the next couple in the series. I hope to finish Dune Messiah and Children of Dune before the end of the year.

Ken
Old 02-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #100
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFisher View Post
Dune was one of the audiobooks that I listened to in January. It is one of my favorites. Later in the year I will listen to the next couple in the series. I hope to finish Dune Messiah and Children of Dune before the end of the year.
Dune was one of those books that I can't tell you how many times I picked up and put down for no good reason. I even had it on loan from the library, didn't finish it then (for probably the second or third time), moved away from the city, moved back 10 years later, and when I got a new library card, I apparently owed a bit of money because I returned it a few days late all those years ago! My lack of finishing Dune kept haunting me!

Since then, I've actually read it a few times, and now have it as an eBook as well. It's spectacular. I've also read Messiah and Children. Also good, but nothing beats Dune. I was an idiot for not finishing it all those times!

-HM
Old 02-03-2017, 11:30 AM   #101
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I'm wary of committing to so many audio hours for one book - it's 21 hours. I've listened to books over 40 hours before but now that I'm listening while doing other things it seems more daunting to choose a longer audiobook.
I listen to a lot of longer audiobooks also because I like classics and non-fiction, and 20 hours seems to be where listening fatigue kicks in for me. The ability to speed things up on the various apps I use most - Audible, OverDrive, Downpour - is a godsend. I almost never listen to non-fiction at the base rate and even fiction can stand a slight increase, for which the Audible for Android app is best, as having the most granular settings.

I see Dune has several narrators. You can really crank it up for Scott Brick, is all I'm going to say.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:41 AM   #102
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFisher View Post

Ken
Great; thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I listen to a lot of longer audiobooks also because I like classics and non-fiction, and 20 hours seems to be where listening fatigue kicks in for me. The ability to speed things up on the various apps I use most - Audible, OverDrive, Downpour - is a godsend. I almost never listen to non-fiction at the base rate and even fiction can stand a slight increase, for which the Audible for Android app is best, as having the most granular settings.

I see Dune has several narrators. You can really crank it up for Scott Brick, is all I'm going to say.
20 hours seems just about it to me too before an audiobook seems fatiguing. Maybe I could even say anything over 15 hours. But sometimes a longer one is just so tempting!

I pretty much only use the Audible app now (for iPhone, but I may be switching to an Android soon), and I just switched from the monthly membership to the platinum yearly in January to maximise my value so seeing as I now have a boatload of credits waiting to be used I'll probably only be using that app for the foreseeable future. I know OverDrive but have never used it. I really should because you can't beat free (well, after the library membership fee). I wasn't sure what Downpour is but with a quick search I see it seems to be like Audible. What's the advantage to it versus Audible?

When there was more time, I would also speed up my audiobooks. Now, I can barely pay attention at the normal rate! This has to do with me listening to audiobooks now while doing more complex things so it's more of a challenge to listen well. I even tried the slower rate, heh, but that just annoyed me. It made it sound like the narrators were on drugs or falling into a coma. Although, I'll keep your advice in mind and might need to take it (especially with this Brick) if I listen to Dune with its hefty length.

Last edited by sun surfer; 02-04-2017 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:03 PM   #103
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
Quote:
I wasn't sure what Downpour is but with a quick search I see it seems to be like Audible. What's the advantage to it versus Audible?
The main advantage for Downpour over Audible is that the audiobooks are DRM-free. You can download them in either M4B or MP3 formats.

Anything produced by Audible Studios is not on Downpour or any other site. I have a subscription on both sites.

Ken
Old 02-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #104
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Other differences that may or may not matter to folks: Downpour doesn't, OBVIOUSLY, have WhisperSync for Voice books (though it may well have the same book, depending on who the publisher is). And you don't get the Audible App on your phone/tablet. Arguably, a significant downside.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:10 PM   #105
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I finally got some traction on my 2017 challenge and finished Nora Webster by Colm Tóibín (MR Literary Book Club January). I had already read the MR Book Club January selection in 2015, but can't score it until I manage a re-read, hopefully soon. I just started Peter Grant #6 so it may take a little while.
Closed Thread