Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-24-2016, 05:41 PM   #91
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I want my battery in the device and to be able to chose what type of cover I want.
Yep, compulsory purchase of the cover is one of the many things that put me off the Oasis.
I've never had an Amazon case for any of my Kindles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
I see the casemakers couldn't be arsed to maintain the wedge shape of the back.
To be fair, neither does Amazon - their cover negates the wedge too.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #92
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
To be fair, neither does Amazon - their cover negates the wedge too.
Yeah, but the Amazon cover, even though it is a MacGyver effort, provides a battery. This is just a hollow shell that takes away functionality for no reason. The least they could have done is mould it to the wedge. It's been done before for devices with weird backs (Aura H2O).
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2016, 12:25 AM   #93
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You people who keep trying to justify the Oasis price based on "what if you buy the Voyage with a cover" arguments are missing the boat, and the whole ocean as far as I'm concerned. First, with the Voyage you have the option of several covers, or even no cover, many of which are third party cheapies. So no real comparison there, just comparing oranges to apples which is totally useless. Second, I bet that a battery toting cover if needed and available for the Voyage would cost significantly more than the current Amazon leather covers for the Voyage. Basically, your argument is stretching the logic so far beyond the limits that it is no longer recognizable as logic.
Whoah! I find your logic illogical.

1) I wasn't trying to convince anyone. I was just replying to someone else who was making a case plus argument to point out that there is another voyage case that might be more comparable.

2) I understand if the case plus argument doesn't hold for you. No one said it does. I bet I have a different car, different house and different job from you. I certainly don't find your different decisions 'stretching logic'. They are logical decision for you and my decisions are logical for me.

Bottom line: You don't want to compare a bundled voyage with an oasis. I get that. Other people do compare the two together. I get that also.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:42 AM   #94
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I must respectfully disagree. Smooth and shiny is great for things that you don't hold (eg a TV set) or even for something small and lightweight, like a smartphone, but when it comes to something a bit bigger and heavier, like a reader or a larger tablet, a cover that's textured and yielding, rather than hard and smooth, is much more comfortable to hold.
I don't like the smooth cover of my Sony 950 ereader, I don't like the smooth cover of my Nokia 920 phone. For me, only the first part of your line fits: smooth and shiny is only for large non-holding devices. The rest will simply glide out of your hand and get scratched anyway.

---

I wonder how open Amazon is with the specs of the cover of the Oasis. Would other parties even be able to make battery covers for it?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:51 AM   #95
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by palazzo View Post
And what a bargain they are! Three thousand dollars for a fairly boring-looking case without a battery! Everyone'll be jumping at that one!

(I'd almost suspect that algorithmically-driven marketplace traders have been bidding up the price against each other, each trying to buy for a bit more than the other one so it can resell to it, only in that case I'd expect to see a far higher price. Maybe all but one of the contending traders has a cap on the amount it's willing to pay for a case, but if so that cap is far too high!)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #96
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
And what a bargain they are! Three thousand dollars for a fairly boring-looking case without a battery! Everyone'll be jumping at that one!

(I'd almost suspect that algorithmically-driven marketplace traders have been bidding up the price against each other, each trying to buy for a bit more than the other one so it can resell to it, only in that case I'd expect to see a far higher price. Maybe all but one of the contending traders has a cap on the amount it's willing to pay for a case, but if so that cap is far too high!)
Three thousand for a lot of 1000. A lot of what appears there is partly wholesale for someone to pickup and resell to users on Amazon in the US and elsewhere. And there's no real bidding, just the manufacturer posting multiple lot sizes.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:20 PM   #97
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Three thousand for a lot of 1000. A lot of what appears there is partly wholesale for someone to pickup and resell to users on Amazon in the US and elsewhere. And there's no real bidding, just the manufacturer posting multiple lot sizes.
Oh right, I missed the lot number (actually had no idea one might be there to look for). That's more reasonable then! (Though whether it is actually Oasis, oops-we'll-turn-these-out-fast-once-we-know-how-big-the-thing-is, or rebadged Voyage-and-hope-it-fits is another question.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #98
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Len Edgerly, got his and posted an unboxing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuUy315Q_bk
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #99
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhis View Post
A lot of readers seem to want that book style folding enclosure for the ereaders, everything else be damned.
Raises hand!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovare View Post
Len Edgerly, got his and posted an unboxing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuUy315Q_bk
Yum -- that was fun! My "I really don't NEED the Oasis" is getting weaker and weaker ....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #100
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Best Buy just charged my credit card for the Oasis. I hope that means it's coming Wed!

Just changed to preparing for shipment. Now I'm excited!

Last edited by Kolja; 04-25-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:39 PM   #101
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
Quote:
Looks nice. I guess I should have known, but seeing the Voyage and Oasis side-by-side was a bit of a surprise - didn't realize how much smaller the Oasis was.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #102
Crhis
Enthusiast
Crhis began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 7 Plus
Quote:
Can't wait.

Anyone had a shipping notice from Amazon yet? I'm still stuck at "We've got your order/Will dispatch 25 Apr" for my order on the UK store.
Crhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #103
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crhis View Post
Can't wait.

Anyone had a shipping notice from Amazon yet? I'm still stuck at "We've got your order/Will dispatch 25 Apr" for my order on the UK store.
In USA, mine still says it's expected to ship today, arrive on the 27th. Out of curiosity I changed the shipping speed to 1 day, and then it just said it would ship tomorrow and still come on the 27th.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #104
mrbjr
mrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animalsmrbjr is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Every Kindle up to and including the Oasis
Got an email from Best Buy that my order has shipped ��
mrbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #105
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbjr View Post
Got an email from Best Buy that my order has shipped ��
Great! Mine is still at preparing for shipment, but I think we're going to get it Wed.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote