Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #91
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I wonder if the case will be any heavier than the current official Voage cover, which is quite heavy, being made of magnetic material.
From what I can see and read it too is a magnetic case, and it also has a battery in it, you can also see contacts in the case where it mates with the device. So yes I bet it is heavy.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #92
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I have looked at it and what I believe is the case for it. Well the case of course is set up for a righted handed person. I am a lefty. To use the page buttons I would have to take it out of the case.
I have a PW2 and a voyage. As long as they work for me I will not be updating.
As far as I can tell it is just as much for lefty's (like me) as for righty's??? You just rotate it 180 degrees and keep the case on?

The only difference I can see is that lefty's will see the power button on the bottom and righty's will see it on the top.

There may be some unannounced differences. For example, if there is a logo it would be upside down for lefty's, but it's not shown in the picks. Also, don't know if there are other things than the power button on the top.
Advert
Old 04-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #93
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
As far as I can tell it is just as much for lefty's (like me) as for righty's??? You just rotate it 180 degrees and keep the case on?

The only difference I can see is that lefty's will see the power button on the bottom and righty's will see it on the top.
It's not even lefties or righties. It's "dammit my hand is tired, I want to switch hands now".
Old 04-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #94
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
I realize I'm late to the party but why the assumption that the case is solar? According to the translation of the Chinese at Reddit the case has an extra battery that charges along with the internal battery.

Quote:
Sixth Image
Double battery design extends life to several months
All New - internal battery and charging cover create a double battery system, effectively extending the battery life; when charging the device, both batteries are charged; when not charging, the charging case can charge the internal battery, providing you with months-long sleep time. A newly designed Kindle sleep mode can extend battery life to the greatest extent.
https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...zon_cn/d1yhkui

I don't see a mention of solar, but admittedly I've only done a small amount of research.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:58 PM   #95
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I don't see a mention of solar, but admittedly I've only done a small amount of research.
IIRC from the various info out there the basic cover, which comes with the device, is a battery case and there is an optional solar charging case or that was my understanding (I haven't been paying a ton of attention).
Advert
Old 04-12-2016, 11:40 PM   #96
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
It's all due to the speed of rumors. Did you miss the part about it downloading books straight to your mind .

So AFAIK, this started with Beezos tweet. Then somewhere in there the Wall Street Journal chimed in with the idea of a case with a battery and a solar case. (BTW, my opinion is the WSJ's tech track record is weak). Then in either the original WSJ article or in a follow up came word that the solar case was still in the labs and was some time from seeing the light of day. So solar got wrapped up in the rumor mill and wish lists.

The next substantive step was the leak of the Oasis pix and specs from the Chinese web site and Amazon Canada. On these 'official' pages there has been no further mention of solar.

It's still possible, but my guess is that its not coming. It's either a future thing (months or years) or its not a thing at all -- just a rumor.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:35 AM   #97
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I realize I'm late to the party but why the assumption that the case is solar? According to the translation of the Chinese at Reddit the case has an extra battery that charges along with the internal battery.

One of the leaks said we would have a second, solar, case. That's why we're talking about it.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:54 AM   #98
rpv
Enthusiast
rpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Tomorrow morning may be the big day ?!
Old 04-13-2016, 03:03 AM   #99
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's tomorrow morning. Still no announcement. Perhaps they're waiting for the US to wake up.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #100
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apparently the announcement will be at 9am New York time. That's 2pm UK time.

I'm closing this thread now, and the other pre-announcement thread in news will be closed once an announcement thread has been created.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:07 AM   #101
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

The new Kindle has been announced. See this news thread.
Closed Thread