Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2015, 12:29 AM   #91
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Shouldn't this all be in the Developer's Forum? Or is there now a user-visible FullScreenReading option in the standard firmware?
When simply adding a line of text to the configuration file is enough to enable a function, I personally think it does not belong in the developer's forum.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:35 AM   #92
vandafc
Connoisseur
vandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texanvandafc might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chebe View Post
After updating my Kobo Glo with this 3.18.0 firmware (through Kobo Desktop) my glo froze on the home screen (showing my one single new book, from the kobobooks, in a tile). It wouldn't respond to touch at all, nor did the light button do anything. I rebooted, and reset, several times, no difference. Plugged it into the computer, nothing happened, as if no device was plugged in. Doing a factory reset now.
Wow! Thanks for this precious information! Thanks to you, I'll wait to update my Glo...
vandafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #93
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I updated my Glo to 3.18.0 and no problems. (I side loaded it).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #94
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by melovesflying View Post
Thanks for that! Is it possible to not get the FW updates by just not going online? I've no reason actually to sync it save for updating the FW. Calibre meets all my needs since all my books are sideloaded anyway. Won't sync it until a better and less buggier FW for the Aura arrives.
If you don't go online and don't use the Kobo desktop software, then there is no possibility for the device to update the firmware.
In that manner,you don't have to patch it if you don't want.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #95
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Looks like I was a bit too hasty in my assessment. Thing is, the above solution seemed to work but it didn't survive sending the device to sleep or turning it off. After I turn it on the weird refresh bar is showing up again.....

...I had to activate full screen reading, open a book, get back out to the home screen, open the settings and deactivate full screen reading again. Now, I only see a page refresh at the beginning of a chapter but the weird "bar" is gone. This also persists after my H2O wakes up from sleep.
Everything you said. I was too hasty in my initial post too. Getting rid of the config line didn't fix the flash after sleeping. GeoffR's solution, quoted by you above, seems to get ride of the weird bar when changing chapters, although you still get a refresh (even if it's not time for one).
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #96
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I have a new Glo HD with a virgin config file. I have the centre black bar on chapter refresh even though I've set the refresh to every page. Is there anything I can do to stop that?

It's not a big issue but just something I thought I'd ask. I don't use the full screen reading so I wasn't planning to add that to the config file.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:35 PM   #97
Caine
Caine doesn't litterCaine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
Everything you said. I was too hasty in my initial post too. Getting rid of the config line didn't fix the flash after sleeping. GeoffR's solution, quoted by you above, seems to get ride of the weird bar when changing chapters, although you still get a refresh (even if it's not time for one).
I still get the centered bar once in a while but it shows up very rarely now. If I exit the book and open it again, there are no full page refreshes at chapters at all (except for the my default ones, of course).
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #98
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I have a new Glo HD with a virgin config file. I have the centre black bar on chapter refresh even though I've set the refresh to every page. Is there anything I can do to stop that?
Does it follow the same pattern as the other refresh-related problems, where it doesn't start happening until you trigger it by sleeping and waking in the book or using the dictionary, table of contents, etc., and then stops happening if you close and re-open the book?

Has anyone seen this black bar refresh on non-Carta devices? (I haven't seen it on my Glo, but then I have it set to refresh very infrequently.)

Edit: Is the black bar the whole area between the header and footer in KePubs?

Last edited by GeoffR; 09-28-2015 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Is the black bar the whole area ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:36 PM   #99
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
The old refrain was "it's not a bug it's a feature". Whatever and however you want to call it, this is the first 'problem' that makes me think that I want to downgrade. I like to be able to use the whole screen.

If an undocumented feature exists it is because someone thought it might be useful to some of us. I like to thank that person/team and ask that maybe it could be made useful again. For now three or so lines are being used to display the percent read (epub). Not very efficient.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #100
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
If an undocumented feature exists it is because someone thought it might be useful to some of us. I like to thank that person/team and ask that maybe it could be made useful again. For now three or so lines are being used to display the percent read (epub). Not very efficient.
Most of the undocumented features in the Kobo firmware are works in progress. Some disappear because Kobo decide not to implement them but many get finished and become official. But, the thing is, none of these undocumented features are intended for everyday use by the general public. Anyone who uses them needs to accept that they could change, disappear or not work properly from firmware to firmware.

But, where are you seeing so many lines used to display the percent read? I haven't noticed any change in this on any of my devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #101
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, where are you seeing so many lines used to display the percent read? I haven't noticed any change in this on any of my devices.
I think volpo is referring to the extra space taken up by the progress indicator at the bottom of the screen compared to reading in full-screen mode. That could be the same as three lines of text from the book, depending on font size selected.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:00 PM   #102
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
It's worth noting that you can read epubs with the footer disabled, and with some of geoff's patches and get a screen which is just the text of the book, and hardly any empty space. You might even be able to get rid of all the empty space I haven't tried messing around with some of the 3.18 patches added on after the initial release by geoff.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:54 AM   #103
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Does it follow the same pattern as the other refresh-related problems, where it doesn't start happening until you trigger it by sleeping and waking in the book or using the dictionary, table of contents, etc., and then stops happening if you close and re-open the book?

Has anyone seen this black bar refresh on non-Carta devices? (I haven't seen it on my Glo, but then I have it set to refresh very infrequently.)

Edit: Is the black bar the whole area between the header and footer in KePubs?
No it just happened as the new chapter started. It's from top to bottom in the centre only. It's a calibre loaded Kepub. I don't have a proper case yet so not continuously reading on the kobo.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:11 AM   #104
percla71
percla71 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO GLO HD
Hello, I really don't like bugs in 3.18! Especially the refresh page bug.

Can I downgrade to 3.17.3? WHich is the right way to downgrade? (I didn't find it in the faq page).... May I do a factory reset or just copy the KoboRoot.tgz , manifest.md5sum , upgrade (folder) to the .kobo and restart the device?

thanks
percla71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:31 AM   #105
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by percla71 View Post
Hello, I really don't like bugs in 3.18! Especially the refresh page bug.

Can I downgrade to 3.17.3? WHich is the right way to downgrade? (I didn't find it in the faq page).... May I do a factory reset or just copy the KoboRoot.tgz , manifest.md5sum , upgrade (folder) to the .kobo and restart the device?

thanks
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=84

If you copy them to the right place ( .kobo directory) the device restarts by itself when you unplug it from usb and up or downgrade.
After that,all your books are there, no factory reset needed..
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote