Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Of the books you read, what percent are ebooks?
0% - all of my reading is done with paper books 2 0.67%
1-25% 19 6.35%
26-50% 14 4.68%
51-75% 20 6.69%
76-99% 136 45.48%
100% - all of my reading is done with ebooks 106 35.45%
What's an ebook? 0 0%
Who cares - I love voting in polls 2 0.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #91
spersephone
Zealot
spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spersephone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage
I have wrist problems as well, and holding a nice big heavy book gets very uncomfortable. I'm often shifting it around. In bed, I find it difficult to hold the book right to read it. So I love these devices. I must admit I couldn't see the attraction initially. Now I am so glad I tried it out.
spersephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:06 AM   #92
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
This is an odd poll. Why in the world would you lump together the people who do 75% of their reading along with people who basically only (99%) read ebooks? There's a pretty large disparity there. I mainly read ebooks but I've got lots of paperbooks and now it looks like I do 99% of my reading on my ereader.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #93
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I bought all my young relatives their first ereaders. I'm pretty sure that I'm not that unusual. It would be interesting to know how many people who read ebooks are in various age groups.
I'm a super old monkey (60+) and love technology. I do ebooks, because the ones I read most often (public domain/ library) are free. I don't have vision or other physical impairments that might pose a problem for reading, so that's never a factor.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #94
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
This is an odd poll. Why in the world would you lump together the people who do 75% of their reading along with people who basically only (99%) read ebooks? There's a pretty large disparity there. I mainly read ebooks but I've got lots of paperbooks and now it looks like I do 99% of my reading on my ereader.
Because
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #95
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I have many friends who, like me, are well over 45 and love their ereaders.
I also know two people who took up computers in their late 70's. One of them actually also has a Kobo now, because of the resizable fonts, although he pays dearly for books in Dutch...

There are always exceptions

Sometimes I wonder if people that are younger now, will have the same problems with technology 30 or 40 years from now, or if they just "go along" with it. The difference of course is that many people got technology "dumped" into their lives in the 80's, or early 90's, while most people nowadays don't know any better from the start.

Last edited by Katsunami; 11-25-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #96
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I'm getting on for my late forties. Three of my parents love their ereaders, and one of my parents-in-law, also. Having helped set most of them up I get remarkably few support calls; they manage just fine.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:23 PM   #97
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Sometimes I wonder if people that are younger now, will have the same problems with technology 30 or 40 years from now, or if they just "go along" with it. The difference of course is that many people got technology "dumped" into their live in the 80's, or early 90's, while most people nowadays don't know any better from the start.
I don't think that the issue is technology. It is the ability or desire to adjust to change. Some people hate change and others thrive on it. Maybe most fall in a range between these types. These basic personalities have always coexisted and will continue to do so. Probably about the same percentage of people young today will be as resistant to change as some older people are now.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #98
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
All textbook/magazine/technical or hobby/any learning material and the occasional hardcover depending on what the topic is still paper. I have 5 readers and my smart phone, so for me the choice is pretty obvious lol. I remember the electricity went out one night and I went to get my reader and it was dead. I shrugged it off and went to grab my other one- it was dead too (I only had 2 at the time) and it almost seemed darker in the house without them. I remember firing up my laptop and plugging the other one in the car to charge them so I could read lol
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #99
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
I generally buy e-books, probably 90% of all the books I buy these days are e-books.

However, if I buy a reference manual or picture heavy book I still prefer the print version in most cases.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #100
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
I seldom buy pbooks these days, but I occasionally receive pbooks as gifts.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote