Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #91
msundman
Zealot
msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FBReader on Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
It has been mentioned in other threads that a good test is to try to goto the middle of a page somehow (e.g. search). If this ends up at the top of a page after all, then the reader isn't enforcing a fixed page layout for the document as a whole.
Yes. Or to jump to a chapter. Or to a bookmark added with a different font/margin/line-height/whatever-changes-the-pagesize.
And I wouldn't mind seeing other user-specifyable options either, such as whether new chapters start right after the previous one ends or on a new page (such an option is of course impossible with fixed-page systems).

Quote:
FBReader is a good example of a reader that does not enforce pagination, and it allows overlap between pages if you want (or not if you don't want).
FBReader seems nice, but unfortunately there isn't a version for Symbian S60. (I'm stuck with QReader for now, which wouldn't be totally bad if it only would support some half decent format (e.g., some format that actually specifies what encoding the text is in (which is the first "feature" that should be added to any format, but apparently all devs who create formats are super-ignorant americans that don't use anything above ascii 127 and believe that "plain text" actually exists), so that I don't have to modify the encoding manually all the time just to get it to display the damn text).)
Old 04-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #92
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by msundman View Post
FBReader seems nice, but unfortunately there isn't a version for Symbian S60.
FBReaderJ is in Beta for the Android emulator only, but will have a version for J2ME devices (like Symbian mobile phones) in future releases.
Advert
Old 04-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #93
msundman
Zealot
msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.msundman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: FBReader on Android
Quote:
FBReaderJ is in Beta for the Android emulator only, but will have a version for J2ME devices (like Symbian mobile phones) in future releases.
I know, but j2me really sucks on symbian in general and on the e61 in particular. It takes forever to start (6+ seconds, but much more if the program is large or inefficient at starting), and whenever you try to put a java program in the background it immediately exits.

QReader, OTOH, is native S60v3 and sits happily in the background for days on end, and it takes 150-200 ms to bring it to the foreground to start reading exactly where I left it. (If QReader for some reason isn't in the background (e.g., after I've rebooted the phone) it still takes less than 3 seconds to start it and open the last book where I left it.)
Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #94
Gester
Enthusiast
Gester began at the beginning.

Device: TX :(
I'm still dying for details here, Robertb, May is very, very far away.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #95
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
...tapping foot, looking at watch.

Is it May yet?
Advert
Old 04-15-2008, 09:56 AM   #96
Gester
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
...tapping foot, looking at watch.

Is it May yet?
While we're waiting, let me ask a...ahem...personal question. You already have a Kindle and an Iliad, what are you looking for in an e-reader device that you don't already have?

Second, as mother of two, where do you find the disposable income?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:34 AM   #97
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gester View Post
You already have a Kindle and an Iliad, what are you looking for in an e-reader device that you don't already have?
Duh. Gadget Lust.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #98
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gester View Post
Second, as mother of two, where do you find the disposable income?
As you can see from her avatar, her cat has a job, he works on computers.

BOb
Old 04-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #99
Gester
Enthusiast

Ouch, I was asking for it.

Last edited by Gester; 04-15-2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Smilie addification
Old 04-15-2008, 02:10 PM   #100
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
As you can see from her avatar, her cat has a job, he works on computers.

BOb
lucky. mine are just 2 hairy freeloaders. i don't even think they're trying. every time i ask them how the job search is going they roll their eyes and tell me unemployment is sky high, the economy is in the toilet, and no-one is hiring.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #101
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

<------ That's an old picture circa 2002, the cat only would get on top of my old Gateway case, she won't get near any of my more recent rigs. Maybe it was the color but I suspect it was the heat, that computer put out a lot of BTUs. Of course, the cat hates LCD monitors, no tube to generate heat.

Yeah, gadget lust and looking for the perfect or at least better device. The Iliad is fine if I had oodles of time to tinker and troubleshoot but I don't. What really sells me on the Kindle is all the content pushed right to my device, sure it's paid but I don't have to spend time finding, formatting and loading it on another device.

Budgetwise, I'm a geek, I don't spend money on bars and restaurants, my wardrobe is modest (when you work at home how much do you really need?), and my vehicles are low mileage 13 and 17 years old. I spend money on gadgets, one day I'll find the perfect one.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #102
Gester
Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, gadget lust and looking for the perfect or at least better device. The Iliad is fine if I had oodles of time to tinker and troubleshoot but I don't. What really sells me on the Kindle is all the content pushed right to my device, sure it's paid but I don't have to spend time finding, formatting and loading it on another device.
Thanks for indulging me. I was being nosy, but I meant the first question seriously. I think there are parts of the Kindle I'm interested in (mainly content and connectivity) and parts of the Iliad (mainly the touchscreen stuff), as well.

For me, though, price trumps. The Kindle is on the upper end and the Iliad is out of the park.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 AM   #103
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia

What I'd probably like is a Iliad sized eInk Palm TX. A multipurpose device that has a killer reading app. Color would be nice but I can be happy with grayscale. To duplicate some of the TX functions on the Kindle I tried Google calender but making entries with the Kindle results in 30+ duplicate entries on the Google calender. At least I can view my calender on the Kindle. I converted my contact list into a .PRC file but I can't make entries.

The main reason I purchased the TX was for the large screen for reading and the TX was not that much less than the Kindle! I never was completely happy with reading on the TX, constant page turns, eye fatigue, and can't read outside but I liked it far better than toting around pbooks. The eInk screen is the best for me but I'm still searching for my perfect device. I realize that the controlling factor is battery size, the more functionality the larger and heavier the battery.

A dedicated reader is fine for now but one day I hope to have a PDA-like device.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #104
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
What I'd probably like is a Iliad sized eInk Palm TX. A multipurpose device that has a killer reading app. Color would be nice but I can be happy with grayscale. To duplicate some of the TX functions on the Kindle I tried Google calender but making entries with the Kindle results in 30+ duplicate entries on the Google calender. At least I can view my calender on the Kindle. I converted my contact list into a .PRC file but I can't make entries.

The main reason I purchased the TX was for the large screen for reading and the TX was not that much less than the Kindle! I never was completely happy with reading on the TX, constant page turns, eye fatigue, and can't read outside but I liked it far better than toting around pbooks. The eInk screen is the best for me but I'm still searching for my perfect device. I realize that the controlling factor is battery size, the more functionality the larger and heavier the battery.

A dedicated reader is fine for now but one day I hope to have a PDA-like device.
Hey Tall, I agree completely but want the color & speed of the TX. I would also want it to "fold" to the size of the TX.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #105
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
TallMom, I don't understand how you can say that the TX is not that much different from the Kindle, the screen is much much smaller and for me at least there is a world of difference, which is why I don't mind carrying the Kindle around in my hand (as it does not fit in a pocket).

Query: eink is a technology developed, I think, by Philips and Sony. How can this company produce eink screens, as seems to be implied, quite easily? Wouldn't it need a license and, if so, how can it be sure to get it?
Closed Thread

Tags
astak mentor, e ink, e-book reader, idpg show, touchscreen, wireless