Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #91
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Any eyeballs-in-the-armpit novels out there?
Don
Well, a very short story by Philip K. Dick, anyway.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #92
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

I'm a Philip K. Dick fan and I wasn't even aware of this story! THANK YOU!

This is an amazing short-short story, and goes right to the heart of the matter. Even now, I shudder to think how much the aliens have taken over. I would give my right arm to know more.....if you know what I mean!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #93
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Definitely "to each his own." I don't believe I suggested anthing to the contrary. That concept is, in fact, exactly what I'm advocating. The "Teeth Gnashers" I'm referring to are the ones who--like you--have decided the "scene" isn't for them and is "impossible" to navigate and have taken it upon themselves to trumpet that their inability (or unwillingness) to successfully navigate the waters is somehow a divine indication that no one should try (or should even want to try) to experience such an "impossible" task. Those are the Teeth Gnashers I'm referring to... and they're certainly not of the "to each his own" variety. They're of the "my word is gospel" variety.
I guess I'm confused here. Is that how I came across in my original post?
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:49 PM   #94
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
I guess I'm confused here. Is that how I came across in my original post?
Not at all. That's what I was trying to say. You were "fessing up" to something I don't think you were really guilty of. So in essence... we were agreeing. I just don't see the point in people announcing that it's "impossible" to separate the wheat from the boundless chaff in self-pub-land, when what they really mean to say is; "it's not something I'm willing to do."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #95
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not at all. That's what I was trying to say. You were "fessing up" to something I don't think you were really guilty of. So in essence... we were agreeing. I just don't see the point in people announcing that it's "impossible" to separate the wheat from the boundless chaff in self-pub-land, when what they really mean to say is; "it's not something I'm willing to do."
Oh okay. I see what you mean.
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #96
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Those are called braces in the UK too
In the UK braces are suspenders.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #97
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
I suspect that many encounters with bad writing occur when readers stray accross boundaries. Consider an 11th c. reader of the world's first novel, the Tale of Genji. Genji is full of courtly machinations and allusions to classical poetry because that is what mattered to Lady Murasaki and her readers. To an 11th c. Genji reader, a Dostoevsky novel with plebian characters and language would have been scandalous. And when writers like Joyce & Henry Miller took the bourgeois novel to its logical conclusions with toliet scenes, eating, drinking, and sex, this was an outrage. Ulysses was banned until 1934 in the US, longer elsewhere. Tropic of Cancer was an obscenity until 1964 (maybe still, depending on who you ask.).

Academic writing is generally pretty bad if you're not in academics yourself. In the humanities, writers feel compelled to make allusions to the classics and current authorities. It's positively Malinowski-esque! Social science academics are famous for using jargon to mark the boundaries of their disciplines. Science papers are spaghetti strands of greco-roman neologisms sprinkled with passive verbs. But if you are an academic, you know why people write like that -- and you probably do it, too.

As a former teacher (of writing among other things), i've probably read more "bad writing" than the average person. I'm more forgiving of things like spelling and grammar errors or mangled metaphors if the writer has something coherent to say. So many writers really have nothing to say. To me that is the one unpardonable sin.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #98
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The post you are quoting answers post #86
Asking about dental braces.

Now show me a kid with a mouthful of suspenders...
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 AM   #99
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Not really true. Generally a man wears braces (holds his trousers up - not pants ) and a woman wears suspenders (holds her stockings up). And it's definitely braces on teeth.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #100
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
The post you are quoting answers post #86
Asking about dental braces.

Now show me a kid with a mouthful of suspenders...
I did double check with my wife and UK braces are US suspenders. So when did braces/suspenders become the braces that go in a mouth? Braces was used to mean suspenders long before dental braces.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #101
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Not really true. Generally a man wears braces (holds his trousers up - not pants ) and a woman wears suspenders (holds her stockings up). And it's definitely braces on teeth.
Oh yes, really true. UK braces = US suspenders. You don't have to believe me because I am not from the UK. But you have to believe my wife because she is from the UK.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #102
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Oh yes, really true. UK braces = US suspenders. You don't have to believe me because I am not from the UK. But you have to believe my wife because she is from the UK.
This is correct. "Suspenders" in Britain are the things that hold ladies' stocking up.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #103
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I did double check with my wife and UK braces are US suspenders. So when did braces/suspenders become the braces that go in a mouth? Braces was used to mean suspenders long before dental braces.
In general, a brace is something that holds something else in place. People with polio might wear braces on their legs to help them walk. A door brace can be used as a security device to keep a door from being opened. There are back braces and neck braces. You might use a brace to reinforce a wall. And you might use braces to straighten teeth or hold up stockings.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #104
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
To try and avoid any further confusion

The question I was answerimg was: what are dental braces called in the UK.
As it happens, in the UK these are called dental braces too.

We were no longer talking about the fact that as far as clothing goes US suspenders = UK braces and UK suspenders = US garter belt
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #105
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
To try and avoid any further confusion

The question I was answering was: what are dental braces called in the UK.
As it happens, in the UK these are called dental braces too.

We were no longer talking about the fact that as far as clothing goes US suspenders = UK braces and UK suspenders = US garter belt
Dental braces are also known as train tracks.