Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #91
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Look at posts 3 and 4. I think what and how the Cybook does is much better than the Sony Reader.
Sorry but I am not convinced. The same sh£t. Pardon my French.
The only reader that can boast a better pdf viewer is iRex which has a real zoom capability and 8.1" screen.
Anyway, just my IMHO.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #92
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
The only reader that can boast a better pdf viewer is iRex which has a real zoom capability and 8.1" screen.
Anyway, just my IMHO.
I agree that it's not very good yet. But it is Bookeen's first try, and already at least slightly better than Sony. I would bet money that it will improve with the next firmware.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #93
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Anyway, just my IMHO.
Well, pan and zoom for PDFs is on the way for the Cybook, so that problem will go away soon. That leaves screen size-and I agree that a larger screen, such as the one in the iLiad, is better for A4 and larger PDF files. See? Here I am, a happy Cybook and PRS500 owner saying that.

(Of course, every chance I get, I take PDF ebooks apart and convert them into Mobi ebooks. )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:37 PM   #94
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Well, pan and zoom for PDFs is on the way for the Cybook, so that problem will go away soon. That leaves screen size-and I agree that a larger screen, such as the one in the iLiad, is better for A4 and larger PDF files. See? Here I am, a happy Cybook and PRS500 owner saying that.

(Of course, every chance I get, I take PDF ebooks apart and convert them into Mobi ebooks. )

Derek
I've been boosting NAEB and the Cybook based on that eventual pan and zoom. I know that I have talked at least 3 people out of a Sony Reader.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #95
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post

Derek
Look, I am not trying to say Gen3 is worse.
Honestly.

There is one thing I really like about it - HTML support. I wish Sony did it..

However, PDF....no zoom is going to make it nice on 6". It has nothing to do with any brand or make or whatever.
Advert
Old 11-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #96
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
I've been boosting NAEB and the Cybook based on that eventual pan and zoom. I know that I have talked at least 3 people out of a Sony Reader.
I think I managed to convince 1 person for Sony

Well, I gave him as much info as I could and sent him here and to e-book.org. Up to him to decide. He decided he wants Sony.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #97
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
Quote:
You know, that's pretty ironic, considering Bookeen's nationality.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #98
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by IreneDelse View Post
You know, that's pretty ironic, considering Bookeen's nationality.

Now I feel embaraced.
I hope.....it is not offensive for French? Otherwise I will edit it.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #99
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Well, Nate, you've been around for a while, so it surprises me that you put so much weight into a manufacturer's announced willingness to extend the capabilities of a product. It's quite possible that Bookeen will follow up on their intent and fix up all the stuff they say they will fix up. But making this stated intent a basis for purchasing decisions... isn't it a bit naive?

The way the consumer electronic manufacturing world works seems to point in the opposite direction. Once the product has been released, 90% of the resources are immediately pulled out, the ones left directed to concentrate on small bug fixes and DRM improvements. The major resources are thrown into the next generation, whenever that may come out.

In theory Sony could add all the same features and more to their devices. The could add text search, better PDF support, ability to delete books, pan and zoom in PDF, etc. etc. But they haven't, because they figured the device was good enough as it was. The only reason Bookeen may be any better is that they seem to be a much smaller company, ebook readers being their major business.

Now, ergonomically Sony Reader 505 seems to be much better than Cybook. That was the agreement of the two Russian guys who had a chance compare the two. They also agreed that the manufacturing quality of the Sony Reader was obviously significantly better. Software wise, the 30+ second Cybook startup doesn't compare well with instant-on, offered by the Sony Reader (even if not from complete shutdown, but from "sleep" low power mode). The PDF reader in Cybook is not better now (it may be better in the future, but this is just speculation). But for reading non-technical, non-PDF literature (fiction, etc.) the Reader is already equipped just as well of better than Cybook, and will probably stay so.

Last edited by porkupan; 11-13-2007 at 04:31 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:12 PM   #100
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Well, Nate, you've been around for a while, so it surprises me that you put so much weight into a manufacturer's announced willingness to extend the capabilities of a product. It's quite possible that Bookeen will follow up on their intent and fix up all the stuff they say they will fix up. But making this stated intent a basis for purchasing decisions... isn't it a bit naive?

The way the consumer electronic manufacturing world works seems to point in the opposite direction. Once the product has been released, 90% of the resources are immediately pulled out, the ones left directed to concentrate on small bug fixes and DRM improvements. The major resources are thrown into the next generation, whenever that may come out.

In theory Sony could add all the same features and more to their devices. The could add text search, better PDF support, ability to delete books, pan and zoom in PDF, etc. etc. But they haven't, because they figured the device was good enough as it was. The only reason Bookeen may be any better is that they seem to be a much smaller company, ebook readers being their major business.

Now, ergonomically Sony Reader 505 seems to be much better than Cybook. That was the agreement of the two Russian guys who had a chance compare the two. They also agreed that the manufacturing quality of the Sony Reader was obviously significantly better. Software wise, the 30+ second Cybook startup doesn't compare well with instant-on, offered by the Sony Reader (even if not from complete shutdown, but from "sleep" low power mode). The PDF reader in Cybook is not better now (it may be better in the future, but this is just speculation). But for reading non-technical, non-PDF literature (fiction, etc.) the Reader is already equipped just as well of better than Cybook, and will probably stay so.
Perhaps it is. But my gut instinct says that the Cybook will get better than the Sony Reader. I also believe, based on the reviews here, that it is the equal of the 505 now.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #101
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Why was 505 ergonomically better? And how do you tell that the manufacturing quality is better? I do not turn my Cybook off so there is no delay in starting reading.

For reading fiction the Cybook is for me much better since it supports dictionary lookup and it will probably stay better in the future also. It is also lighter so ergonomically it is better.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #102
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
This certainly describes Sony's approach to e-book readers. Bookeen might be different because (a) their only business is e-books and (b) their next generation device is likely to be Vizplex with a larger screen (so most of the software may apply to both devices).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #103
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Of course, the 505 is supposed to have Adobe Digital Editions sometime in 2008. And for all we know, the PDF reading may end up being improved as well. I think it's a wait and see. You don't know what's what for either device based on speculation and that's all it so right now for both the Gen3 and the 505. Plus, you cannot be sure of what Bookeen or Sony will do in the future when newer screens are released. All I know is you have the 505 as it is now and you have the Gen3 as it is now. What I say is the 505 has some of the better tools for content creations/conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #104
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Of course, the 505 is supposed to have Adobe Digital Editions sometime in 2008. And for all we know, the PDF reading may end up being improved as well. I think it's a wait and see. You don't know what's what for either device based on speculation and that's all it so right now for both the Gen3 and the 505. Plus, you cannot be sure of what Bookeen or Sony will do in the future when newer screens are released. All I know is you have the 505 as it is now and you have the Gen3 as it is now. What I say is the 505 has some of the better tools for content creations/conversion.
Well you just had to go and make my life harder, didn't you? The main draw of the Cybook for me is Mobipocket but I would also love to have something that can read the ADE books from Overdrive. They have more ADE than Mobi, actually. Not to mention the 505 is really gorgeous. I popped into a SonyStyle store this weekend just to take a peek at it and it has a fantastic look and feel. I wish Amazon would throw us a bone and let us know if their books are going to be locked down to the Kindle or not.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:45 PM   #105
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Why was 505 ergonomically better? And how do you tell that the manufacturing quality is better? I do not turn my Cybook off so there is no delay in starting reading.

For reading fiction the Cybook is for me much better since it supports dictionary lookup and it will probably stay better in the future also. It is also lighter so ergonomically it is better.
Well, I am not going to argue that for you Cybook may be better. I know quite a few people who swear the Hanlin Jinke ebook is the best, while others keep complaining about the poor quality of manufacturing. So, the better-worse comparisons are very subjective, often what one thinks is better has to do with the money already spent on a certain device. I can only relate what I read.

The look-and-feel. Supposedly, the exterior of the Cybook reader just feels cheaper (black plastic vs metal in case of Sony), the controls are more ergonomically located in the Sony Reader (paging on both the right-hand side and the left-hand side), the connector plugs located inconveniently, only charges via USB - that sort of thing. Being lighter is better? How much lighter - would you be able to feel the difference? But if you like your Cybook as is, it's great, I am glad you do.

Lots of software already out there for Sony - to convert from every possible format.

And the fact that you don't turn it off shows that you don't travel much with your new ebook reader. Or you would be surprised to find your Cybook always on a new unexpected page when you take it out of your bag or your pocket. So, you will probably end up turning it off anyway, and then waiting for it to start up when you want to read it.

But the dictionary lookup feature is a clear advantage, I agree. Not very important for many of us, but very important for the others. Just like text search - I would love to have it, but the others don't care.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote