Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #91
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahammer View Post
that cool that goes to me not knowing. I would still think downloading the book is better then a cd with the book as you could read it till it gets to you for people that want it now. the one thing I do know now thou when I get a reader I will be buying from baen.
AFAIK Baen is the only one doing this. But if you're into science fiction or fantasy it's awesome.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #92
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
WRT to people paying for stuff they can download for free, the Canadian singer Jane Siberry did an interesting experiment where she offered her whole catalogue for DRM-free download off her website under a 'pay what you think it's worth' system. She found after several months that less than 20% of the people were choosing to pay nothing, and of the 80%+ who were VOLUNTARILY paying even though they did not have to, about half of those were paying MORE THAN the suggested amount.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 03:02 AM   #93
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i used to buy used books cheap, but if there was an author or book i really liked, i'd buy a new copy to support the author and give the used one to a friend to help spread the word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
P.S. The presence online of free, no-DRM copies of many Baen books does not appear to interfere with sales of either dead-tree or electronic copies of those books! People who like a series have a strong tendency to support the author (and publisher!) by actually purchasing copies/bits of the previous entries in the series, even though they've got free copies/bits -- yes, they really do buy copies of bits they've already gotten for free. The key is the combination of a product people want with pricing that is perceived as being fair!
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:51 AM   #94
Pascal Scheffers
Pascal Scheffers began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
and of the 80%+ who were VOLUNTARILY paying even though they did not have to, about half of those were paying MORE THAN the suggested amount.
The problem with that model this is only regarded to work for the mid to lower echelons of authors (any industry). The big fear seems to be about losing the big cash cows, the J.K. Rowlings. Once people know someone has already made half a million on a book, I think the numbers will reverse to maybe 10% paying, 90 taking. They really would hate to lose those.

But I really like the new model a lot. I've had too many reads where I picked up a book and didn't like it after three chapters, I don't feel like paying $10 for that. It is also something authors can do on their own, maybe even facilitated by a site like this one. I've certainly enjoyed -and- paid for a lot of free content over the last three years.
Pascal Scheffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #95
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal Scheffers View Post
The problem with that model this is only regarded to work for the mid to lower echelons of authors (any industry). The big fear seems to be about losing the big cash cows, the J.K. Rowlings. Once people know someone has already made half a million on a book, I think the numbers will reverse to maybe 10% paying, 90 taking. They really would hate to lose those.

But I really like the new model a lot. I've had too many reads where I picked up a book and didn't like it after three chapters, I don't feel like paying $10 for that. It is also something authors can do on their own, maybe even facilitated by a site like this one. I've certainly enjoyed -and- paid for a lot of free content over the last three years.
I've heard the above claim made many times. But a number of those Baen books routinely hit the best-seller lists. For example, the David Weber books that included bound-in CDs in the hardcovers only had them in the first few copies... um, I mean the first printing of... wait for it... 100,000 copies. Which sold out, and went into a second and third HC printing, sans CD.

And the presence of the free online copies seems to have no more effect on the Weber books than on the less-popular books.

Your claim might be true for Steven King or J.K.Rowling (or might not). But we have an observed data point that suggests that hitting the middle of the NYT best-sellers list (around 6th-8th on the list) is not enough popularity to make that behavior kick in.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #96
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is because the vast majority of readers haven't gotten into ebooks yet, so the fact there's a free ebook available has little impact on pbook sales, and even less so when pbook sales are high.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #97
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
1. If you were going to buy an ebook when would you be most likely make your purchase in relation to the release of the physical book?
  • If you were going to buy an ebook when would you be most likely make your purchase in relation to the release of the physical book?
  • If the ebook was available before the physical book was released
  • If the ebook was available at the same time as the physical book
  • If the ebook was available and the physical book was no longer available in stores
  • I will not buy ebooks
Umm... where's "I will not consider the pbook version if I can get an ebook?"
This question allowed for multiple answers so I picked the the first 2 options, I'd buy the eBook before the pBook is released or at the same time, but I'm not going to wait till the pBook is out of print.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #98
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
This is because the vast majority of readers haven't gotten into ebooks yet, so the fact there's a free ebook available has little impact on pbook sales, and even less so when pbook sales are high.
This may be true when it comes to impact on pBook sales. But it cuts no mustard with respect to eBook sales. Anyone who can find the eBook for purchase can equally easily find a legitimate copy for free download. Especially when folks at Baen's Bar tell them where to look (also with the publisher's blessing).

I'm sure we can easily find people who say "oh, I just downloaded the legitimate free copies." I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find that there are plenty such. But I also see a steady stream of people who say things like (paraphrasing) "I read some of the free downloads, and then came to Webscriptions to buy the rest -- even though I have the rest for free already." And Arnold reports over at the Bar that each time there's a CD in one of the books, sales of the content that's on the CD take a bump up.

Your quite correct observation that "[...] the vast majority of readers haven't gotten into ebooks yet [...]" provides no explanation for the observed behavior about eBook sales.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:10 PM   #99
sirbruce
Provocateur

I agree, but even paid ebook sales are still small. So while it's true that so far free ebooks don't seem to hurt paid ebook sales or paid pbook sales, if ebooks become increasingly popular in preference to pbooks, then free ebooks could begin to hurt combined ebook/pbook sales. And this is true whether the free ebooks are from the publisher or from pirates.

But I'll stipulate it's still too soon to tell, and so far Baen's model is working well.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #100
sirbruce
Provocateur

Resurrecting this thread:

So, the first of Angry Robot's ebooks are due out 26 June 2009, according to the website. Ebook formats and pricing are still not announced, though.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #101
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Why do English speakers find it so difficult to distinguish between "effect" and "affect"?
Because to the average person, the words are interchangeable. Misusing them doesn't really have much affect.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #102
sirbruce
Provocateur

Follow-up from their website:

Quote:
SirBruce
May 15th, 2009 at 3:34 pm
Hey Lee,

Angry Robot’s first ebooks are due out June 26; when are you going to announce ebook pricing and formats?

Lee
May 15th, 2009 at 4:46 pm
Hi, Sirbruce,

Thanks for your query. We’re just finalising details with the major etailers, and expect to make the announcement very soon! I think most people will be happy…
Old 05-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #103
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
hopefully lee will be back here to announce when the prices are up. first off, always good to hear from a publisher, but secondly if a publisher gets into the mindset of making announcements like that on all the ebook boards, blogs and sites, they'll see more sales and that will encourage them to continue with more ebooks.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #104
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Because to the average person, the words are interchangeable. Misusing them doesn't really have much affect.
I don't think it's so much that they're interchangeable as that they're indistinguishable to many ears.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #105
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
In that light, it strikes me that if you want to support ebooks, one way to do it might be to try and buy them more often directly through the publisher's website whenever it's feasible.
I wish there were more authors who offer their works directly from their web page, preferably Paypal as a method of payment. E-mail delivery within one business day would work just fine for me.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote