Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-17-2022, 11:37 PM   #91
oston
Connoisseur
oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Libra 2
Oh, I just spotted the problem. The section tag IS within a <body> tag.

Now I need to find out how to avoid that from the InDesign Export.

Thanks for that important but of information.
oston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:20 AM   #92
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
The section tag can with its epub:type can be a child of the body tag. Only the body tag itself can *not* have aria roles assigned to it according to to epubcheck.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2022, 08:31 AM   #93
oston
Connoisseur
oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Kevin. I wondered about that this morning when I looked at the post again.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:36 AM   #94
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have a short snippet of xhtml that shows the epub:type set on a section tag, that does not get the correct aria-role added when the plugin exits when "okay" is used? If so post it here and I will try to create my own testcase from it.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:06 AM   #95
oston
Connoisseur

I posted an example of the epub:type="chapter" in a post last night, Kevin
Here is another example from the toc page.

Code:
<body id="AMH-en-acc-eBook-2" lang="en-US" xml:lang="en-US">
  <section id="_idContainer002" epub:type="toc frontmatter">
    <h1 class="chapter-title">Contents</h1>

<p class="toc"><a href="AMH-en-acc-eBook-3.xhtml#_idTextAnchor000">Foreword</a></p>

<p class="toc"><a href="AMH-en-acc-eBook-4.xhtml#_idTextAnchor002">Acknowledgements</a></p>

<p class="toc"><a href="AMH-en-acc-eBook-5.xhtml#_idTextAnchor004">Introduction</a></p>
Advert
Old 05-18-2022, 10:18 AM   #96
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Thanks I missed that earlier one. Let me see if I can recreate what you are seeing.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:28 AM   #97
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Okay from your two examples I created an simple epub (incomplete) and ran it through the latest Access-Aide plugin and get the following:

Before:
Code:
<body id="AMH-en-acc-eBook-6" lang="en-US" xml:lang="en-US">
  <section id="_idContainer008" class="Section" epub:type="chapter">
    <p>Some text</p>
</section>
</body>
After:
Code:
<body id="AMH-en-acc-eBook-6" lang="en-US" xml:lang="en-US">
  <section id="_idContainer008" class="Section" epub:type="chapter" role="doc-chapter">
    <p>Some text</p>
</section>
</body>
Before:
Code:
  <section id="_idContainer002" epub:type="toc frontmatter">

<p class="toc"><a href="AMH-en-acc-eBook-3.xhtml#_idTextAnchor000">Foreword</a></p>

<p class="toc"><a href="AMH-en-acc-eBook-4.xhtml#_idTextAnchor002">Acknowledgements</a></p>

<p class="toc"><a href="AMH-en-acc-eBook-5.xhtml#_idTextAnchor004">Introduction</a></p>
</section>
</body>
After:
Code:
  <section id="_idContainer002" epub:type="toc frontmatter" role="doc-toc">

</section>
</body>

So the aria roles appear to be added just fine. Perhaps you expected it to add something to the nav? If so, you need to use Sigil to set the landmark semantics for each file and it will happily update the landmark portion of the nav for you. If you do that before running Access-Aide it will add role too if needed.

Are you sure you are using an epub3 and that your html tag has the ops namespace added (for the epub: prefix)?

Look for something like the following (notice the ops namespace):

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" lang="en" xml:lang="en">

Last edited by KevinH; 05-18-2022 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:27 AM   #98
oston
Connoisseur

I've found the cause of the problem now.

It was really puzzling at first because I am definitely using Epub 3 (have not used anything else for several years now) and the html references were present in all the html files.

The only thing I could find was that when Indesign exported the epub, the lang and xml:lang tags were missing. I have no idea why that has suddenly started to occur.

But I knew that access:aide added those tags, so I ran the plugin a second time. This time, with the lang tags having been added to the html files, all the ARIA roles showed up as expected.

MANY thanks for those tests, I would not have thought to run the plugin a second time without seeing your results.
Old 05-18-2022, 11:40 AM   #99
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Interesting. Adding the lang attributes should have done nothing. Running it twice should not be needed ever. My guess is the epub from InDesign has broken or not wellformed xhtml which prevents the xhtml from being successfully parsed and Sigil's gumbo parser fixes them upon return from the plugin the first time. So the second time through Access-Aide finally has well-formed xhtml to work with.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-18-2022 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:17 PM   #100
oston
Connoisseur

Access-aide adds the language as en-GB. Where does the plugin get that setting?
I checked the Sigil lang settings and they are currently set to English and English -US for the metadata?
Old 05-18-2022, 12:26 PM   #101
KevinH
Sigil Developer

OPF metadata
first dc:language tag in the metadata section of the OPF

Last edited by KevinH; 05-18-2022 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 01:00 PM   #102
oston
Connoisseur

That's another thing to sort out. How did en-GB get there in the first place if Indesign is not exporting Language correctly.

Anyway easy enough to edit that in Sigil :-)

Thanks,
Jim
Old 05-18-2022, 01:08 PM   #103
KevinH
Sigil Developer

No ideas. Gave up using InDesign for anything years ago.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:25 PM   #104
oston
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
No ideas. Gave up using InDesign for anything years ago.
I understand. It's just that all the files I am sent to work with are InDesign files, some from early, pre-InDesign, days.

In this case, it turned out to be a single paragraph style that had been copied from another document at one time.

It's all good now. Thanks again for the great help.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:30 AM   #105
Rid
Addict
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Wow just found this, thanks for the plugin!
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote