Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #91
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
or you underestimate the power of sheep consumerism
Read very, very carefully.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #92
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
It's not.

1. Mobile flash is still hit and miss on the best mobile hardware. It's just not ready for primetime. Thats why...

2. All the important sites have a iOS app (Youtube, Pandora, etc...)

3. There are alternatives to the SD card or people just don't need it. People said the same thing about the iPhone. Still no SD card, and people are still buying it in huge numbers. You overestimate its importance.
#1 you are wrong (and so is Steve).

#2 no they don't but it doesn't matter.

#3 Apple is intentionally refusing to add an SD card in order to maintain control. It has nothing to do with alternatives or need.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #93
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Mobile Flash is hit and miss? Well, nobody seems to have told my Dell Streak -- I have yet to run into problems....
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #94
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
#1 you are wrong (and so is Steve).

#2 no they don't but it doesn't matter.

#3 Apple is intentionally refusing to add an SD card in order to maintain control. It has nothing to do with alternatives or need.
1. Most of the people who reviewed the Xoom and the Playbook said this. Its just not equivalent to the desktop flash. It doesn't work everywhere, and its crashy when it works. I can post reviewers links if you like.

2. Yes they do. I'd like you to note 3 major websites that don't in someway cater to iOS users.

3. So? If it works for their users, then that's their choice. And as Android fans say "Choice is good!"
Old 04-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #95
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are wrong. Saying it again doesn't make it true.
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #96
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Big Steve said it, so for an Apple fan boy it must be true and he will repeat it endlessly.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #97
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Big Steve said it, so for an Apple fan boy it must be true and he will repeat it endlessly.
Apparently so...
Old 04-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #98
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Mobile Flash is hit and miss? Well, nobody seems to have told my Dell Streak -- I have yet to run into problems....
I'm sure there are isolated cases where a user can use it with a small subset of websites...but you can't just go to any random website with Flash and expect it to work.

I found this earlier this week:

Quote:
On the bright side, the PlayBook supports Flash, with no need to download a player as on Android. But Flash objects are often slow to load, and some would not function. That's an issue Flash also has on Android, as my colleague Neil McAllister discovered in his extensive Flash tests. It's becoming increasingly clear to me that Flash and mobile don't mix.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/22585..._progress.html
Old 04-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #99
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
What major sites don't serve iOS clients?

Also, why do you object to iPad users choosing to go without a SD card slot?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #100
kennyc

Quote:
What major sites don't serve iOS clients?

Also, why do you object to iPad users choosing to go without a SD card slot?
You are wrong. Repeating it doesn't make it true.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:11 PM   #101
kennyc

Quote:
I'm sure there are isolated cases where a user can use it with a small subset of websites...but you can't just go to any random website with Flash and expect it to work.
This is a flat out lie (or ignorance or intentional deceit).

I've had absolutely no problems with flash on my zoom or Droidx or laptops.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #102
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
You are wrong. Repeating it doesn't make it true.
Again I ask: which major sites fail to cater to iOS users? This time, I'll let the pros answer:

Quote:
Motorola’s thinking with the Xoom seems to have been similar: It shipped a tablet with a 3G data connection and a promise of a free 4G upgrade and a MicroSD slot that didn’t work. And even though the Xoom, like the PlayBook, touts Flash as a core advantage, it didn’t have it at all at first, and is still on a beta version which wasn’t so hot when I tried it.
There is a link on the site to his original review of March 18th where he talked about Flash on the Xoom. There he said (in total agreement with me):

Quote:
All in all, it seems to be a version of Flash that works some of the time but not always, and not always well. That’s not, um, ideal. Neither is the fact that Flash isn’t available at all on the iPad. But the lure of Apple’s audience has prompted plenty of companies to make Flash-based stuff work on iOS devices in one way or another–I can get Hulu (Plus), Bloggingheads, and Bejeweled on the iPad. And they all work reliably.

We’ll know that Flash Player for Android makes sense when having it is clearly better than not having it…
http://technologizer.com/2011/04/21/...beta-hardware/
http://technologizer.com/2011/03/18/flash-xoom/
Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 PM   #103
HansTWN
Wizard

We don't object to Ipad users choosing to go without an SD card slot. We object to you saying that they are better off without an SD card slot, to you refusing to accept that having an SD card slot is simply better.

Besides, I would venture a guess that the vast majority of Ipad buyers are not even aware of this, they choose the Apple products and don't even know the specs. So very few are actually "choosing" not to have an SD slot.

Now look me straight in the eye and tell me that you (as a user) would not prefer to have the very same iPad2 but with an additional SD slot at the same price?

Last edited by HansTWN; 04-23-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #104
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
This is a flat out lie (or ignorance or intentional deceit).

I've had absolutely no problems with flash on my zoom or Droidx or laptops.
Laptops, no. I use it to shoot pool when things get slow at work.

But on tablets? Lots of reviewers say it's hugely iffy.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:19 PM   #105
kennyc

As I said (and as HansTWN said, fanboiz will repeat whatever Steve wants them to.

I'll say it again and we can keep it up all night if you like.

YOU ARE WRONG. repeating it doesn't make it true.