Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #91
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beautyJayjee does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Back to Google Play services.
I ran also in to some problems.
Before the firmware update, I had installed Business Calendar 2, and to my delight, all my calendars showed up and it worked.

Now, after the update, nothing. Moreover, the stock calendar app of the device (which is, as far as I can see, the google calendar app) asks for an account to sign in and then says - this account already exists on the device.
Same with google contacts, that I installed from Play store.

Google sheets is still working though, and two other apps that had previously complained about needing Google Play services, don't do that anymore, but work nicely.

Best,
Jan
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:43 AM   #92
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Got my Onyx Boox 2 today. Works fine so far but some things are still after the update problematic

- Online Update did stop several times. I had to repress the Update button to get it going. WLAN connection was flawless
- screen calibration doesn't work all the time. Sometimes it didn't work at all and sometimes I had to press really hard to had it working.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #93
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjee View Post
Back to Google Play services.
I ran also in to some problems.
Before the firmware update, I had installed Business Calendar 2, and to my delight, all my calendars showed up and it worked.

Now, after the update, nothing. Moreover, the stock calendar app of the device (which is, as far as I can see, the google calendar app) asks for an account to sign in and then says - this account already exists on the device.
Same with google contacts, that I installed from Play store.

Google sheets is still working though, and two other apps that had previously complained about needing Google Play services, don't do that anymore, but work nicely.

Best,
Jan
Hi Jan,
I assume some leftovers (cache?) of previous installation could cause this effect. Please reset your device using privacy menu and re-add your account. Calender etc. should start to work as expected.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #94
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

another interesting thing is available in last update. In Note app the stylus started to work as pressure sensitive. Looks impressive, does'n it ?

Last edited by Booxtor; 01-08-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #95
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
another interesting thing I just discovered after update. In Note app the stylus started to work as pressure sensitive. Looks very impressive !
I guess a list of changes does not exist?
I skipped the update because I thought it only relevant to the Market...
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #96
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I guess a list of changes does not exist?
I skipped the update because I thought it only relevant to the Market...
It does exist but. It was actually not scheduled update. I released it just to solve the very urgent problem with plays service. The scheduled update is expected in appr. two weeks and I can provide the change list to this update.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #97
inudaisho
inudaisho began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2 / Kobo glo HD
Quote:
another interesting thing is available in last update. In Note app the stylus started to work as pressure sensitive. Looks impressive, does'n it ?
pressure sensitive? Great!
I want taste it!
is it possible for My Max2 to use your "update.upx"?
My Max2 was bought from China directly and got update.upx (version20171225 ).
but version20171225 is about 420M
your update.upx is about 520M.
is your version defferent from china version?

or I should wait to update china version?
inudaisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #98
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by inudaisho View Post
pressure sensitive? Great!
I want taste it!
is it possible for My Max2 to use your "update.upx"?
My Max2 was bought from China directly and got update.upx (version20171225 ).
but version20171225 is about 420M
your update.upx is about 520M.
is your version defferent from china version?

or I should wait to update china version?
Yes it is a different version. If you cannot download it via OTA try to download it from our server. It should work for your device too since we didn't use any limitations in this update.

Last edited by Booxtor; 01-08-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:48 AM   #99
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is with the

Reader Statistics

app? Will it send information to Onyx? If yes can it be disabled?
Old 01-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #100
alcedo
Enthusiast
alcedo doesn't litteralcedo doesn't litter

Device: bug
If that helps I apologize for naive and substitute that with "overly optimistic".
If I remember correctly booxtor once said the company only sells 10% of its products out of country,
which means these devices are not designed to meet expectations abroad.
I don't think they depend on that international sales and won't change their devices because some foreigners think they need their devices air-gapped.
Perhaps they only export it because they're proud sombody out there wants it, and indeed we do, and indeed it will be great to have that pressure sensitive wacom.

Quote:
And anyway, the only Android watch, for example, I found around that does not require an Internet connection or pairing in any moment of its life, was Chinese. I too often find more openness in Chinese products than in other producers.
Yeah sure. Because openness helps entering the market, but that doesn't tell what's next. Am I right there was a EU-Regulation that forced mp3-players to have an extension slot? Why shouldn't there be some China-Regulation that forces the opposite. So we just need to wait and we'll see. If this is a single decision or something more systematic.

About paying with smartphones:
Quote:
Oh, pretty please, this I missed at first read. Around these parts, I've not seen anything like it.
Yes, you're right. But in case you visit Denmark, tell us what you saw.
alcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:17 PM   #101
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcedo View Post
I don't think they depend on that international sales and won't change their devices because some foreigners think they need their devices air-gapped.
Nonetheless, they already work this way and many devices from the "free countries" do not.

Quote:
So we just need to wait and we'll see.
...Of course? That would be valid even if you produced them yourself.
The rule of today's production: one thousand models per period, not necessarily one of them eligible per period. Hence...

Quote:
About paying with smartphones: Yes, you're right. But in case you visit Denmark, tell us what you saw.
Off topic, but: this country I am sitting in is probably finished for a long time, but you are less than 6 millions and you cannot relate to - communicate and plan with - your elected politicians? You should have their mobile numbers, and this is not an exaggeration because this is what we had here before a white regime change not far away in time.

Last edited by mdp; 01-08-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #102
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
What is with the

Reader Statistics

app? Will it send information to Onyx? If yes can it be disabled?
The only information Onyx could get from you is just when you manually send recent logs of your device to Onyx by using Feedback feature in the settings. Just regular system logs. Information, which helps to figure out what could cause errors or other issues.

Onyx definitely does not collect secretly your private information or statistics.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #103
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Onyx definitely does not collect secretly your private information or statistics.
Though I suspect you will probably not extend this to Adobe or Amazon
(because last time I checked...)

Sorry, wrote that for completeness after this latest wave.

EDIT one minute later:
no, really, this is fun.
My old modified version of FBReader does not work well on the Max2. So I am downloading the new one. I lazily typed its name on a search engine. And the result came as
«FBReader is a [...] e-book reader for Linux, Microsoft Windows, Android, and other platforms that is free of page-view tracking and other invasions of privacy
Real time...

Last edited by mdp; 01-08-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #104
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Though I suspect you will probably not extend this to Adobe or Amazon
(because last time I checked...)
«FBReader is a [...] e-book reader for Linux, Microsoft Windows, Android, and other platforms that is free of page-view tracking and other invasions of privacy
Real time...
I don't use Adobe and/or Amazon and no Google Play so I will be fine.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #105
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I don't use Adobe and/or Amazon and no Google Play so I will be fine.
Wait before it... I think I found strange things in FBReader.

That sentence in bold made reference to an article of 2010. In the new version of FBReader, there is a "Synchronization" settings chapter, which contains a "Enable Synchronization / DO NOT synchronize my library [to servers]" - you have to specify that you do not want it - checkbox, and if you tap on the checkbox it toasts that you have to be online to toggle it.
The next row is "Upload all books to servers", with default option "if connected to Wi-Fi".

What.

The immensely lunatic times we live in.

Last edited by mdp; 01-08-2018 at 05:07 PM.