Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #91
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
@ Icewyng

Is it possible to modify the attached file for the PDN ROM? It was developed to fake the Android Version to Froyo so you were able to use Apps like App2SD or Aldiko 2.0
Attached Files
File Type: zip Fake_AV_v2_root_PB701SWUPDATE.zip (1.94 MB, 194 views)
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #92
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
I think I have narrowed down what is the deal with Wi-Fi.

Almost everything is ruled by permissions. If you don't have the right permission for the right thing, it won't work. I think this is what might be happening with Wi-Fi. I am testing a few things to make sure it works properly.

It was working for me when I first flashed the ROM but I have rebooted and it stopped working. I know where the problem is, just need to correct it.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #93
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
I think I have narrowed down what is the deal with Wi-Fi.

Almost everything is ruled by permissions. If you don't have the right permission for the right thing, it won't work. I think this is what might be happening with Wi-Fi. I am testing a few things to make sure it works properly.

It was working for me when I first flashed the ROM but I have rebooted and it stopped working. I know where the problem is, just need to correct it.
That would be great. Everything else works fine except WiFi. (It's funny, because I never thought I'd be using it all that much, but I find that it's useful when I want to check my mail, leave a comment or three on a journal or surf the net on a break.)
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:14 AM   #94
kalle17
kalle17 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 302, PocketBook IQ701
Noticed another issue...
It is not possible to change keyboard layouts (e.g. between English and Russian). Also, it is not possible to use alternative keyboard (like SmartKeyboard Pro) - system always uses built-in one.
kalle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:38 AM   #95
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle17 View Post
Noticed another issue...
It is not possible to change keyboard layouts (e.g. between English and Russian). Also, it is not possible to use alternative keyboard (like SmartKeyboard Pro) - system always uses built-in one.
After changing the keyboard in "Settings" you need a long press on the "123?" button in the keyboard to select the new keyboard again.
Have you done this?
Layout should be changed automatically when changing the language, otherwise try a swipe from left to right on the space-bar.
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 04:47 AM   #96
kalle17
kalle17 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 302, PocketBook IQ701
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
After changing the keyboard in "Settings" you need a long press on the "123?" button in the keyboard to select the new keyboard again.
Have you done this?
Yes I tried this - I see only one input method - Andoid Keyboard, though I have SmartKeyboard installed and set as default.
Quote:
Layout should be changed automatically when changing the language, otherwise try a swipe from left to right on the space-bar.
I set Russian as default language, but English keyboard got selected automatically. Swipe on spacebar produces empty window and does nothing.
kalle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #97
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle17 View Post
Yes I tried this - I see only one input method - Andoid Keyboard, though I have SmartKeyboard installed and set as default.
Hmm, strange. Maybe try GoKeyboard, I just installed that one, it works and it changes layout according to language settings you selected (even a fast swap possible)

Quote:
Swipe on spacebar produces empty window and does nothing.
Sorry, my fault. That was another Keyboard
Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #98
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

I think I have found what all those problems came from:

Usually, with Android, you have several MTD partitions containing the various bites of the OS. One of those partitions is called DATA and this is where most of the stuff happens. Configs, non-system apps, libs for apps... all is there.

Now, with the IQ, there is DATA but there are also 2 other partitions: USER_DATA & PB_DATA. The thing I have noticed is that these are MMC partitions and not MTD and that some stuff in DATA is symbolic links to one of those partitions.

What are MMC Partitions? Think of them as partitions that would be on an SDcard. So, you have DATA (main partition) spliiting into 2 other partitions (USER & PB). When you Factory Reset, you only erase DATA and NOT User or PB... you can see why there were some problems now.

My plan is to remove USER & PB and only leave DATA as the only DATA partition. I think that should solve 99.9% of all the app & config problems we have on this.

I have actually set up a To-Do list for myself and will work hard to get this to work and learn the inner working of Android. After that, I think we might have some Gingerbread for lunch.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #99
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
My plan is to remove USER & PB and only leave DATA as the only DATA partition. I think that should solve 99.9% of all the app & config problems we have on this.
Sounds like that will help folks with corrupt 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 partitions, too.
(Right now, that's me. )
An extra bonus.

So far the PD port is noticeably smoother in touch-screen response and seems to run apps a bit faster. Would the PB apps install and run on it? I'm thinking the TTS might actually be usable on it...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #100
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Would the PB apps install and run on it? I'm thinking the TTS might actually be usable on it...
While removing other stuff I found all the PB apps with TB still installed, but couldn't get any of them running, so the answer is: probably maybe, but not out of the box
Old 11-24-2011, 04:49 AM   #101
frth
frth began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook IQ 701
Quote:
Improved 2d/3d drivers update
Sorry for stupid question, but is it OpenGL update?
frth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:38 AM   #102
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
While removing other stuff I found all the PB apps with TB still installed, but couldn't get any of them running, so the answer is: probably maybe, but not out of the box
Agreed, I had the same experience. I would like to have the bookshelf that original PB firmware had; or maybe something similar to what I saw was present in the original PD firmware. You know, the recently read stuff that appears on one of the home screens.

One thing I noticed as I've been using this patch is that it does wake up at random times, and if I have it in my bag and take it out after a while, there's an app running. It also seems to use up my battery faster - before, I was able to leave the IQ for a couple of days and the battery would still be at least half or quarter full.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:47 AM   #103
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
It also seems to use up my battery faster - before, I was able to leave the IQ for a couple of days and the battery would still be at least half or quarter full.
Maybe that's because of the running Apps and wakeups? I'm sure a lockscreen would help there.
Mine is lying around most of the time and battery life is comparable to original ROM
Old 11-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #104
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Maybe that's because of the running Apps and wakeups? I'm sure a lockscreen would help there.
Mine is lying around most of the time and battery life is comparable to original ROM
I'm not sure yet - I did use it more the last couple of day, flashing the updates as Icewyng was posting them, plus installing the apps and seeing which ones I want to keep. Plus there's the WiFi problem: I've left the WiFi on while at work to see if I'd be able to connect; I never was but of course WiFI on meant that battery would be used up sooner.

Quote:
I'm sure a lockscreen would help there.
Problem is, I can't figure out where to find it on the device. When I press the power button to wake it up, it just goes straight to the home screen. Is it even installed?

If it isn't, can I download an apk lockscreen somewhere?
Old 11-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #105
Icewyng
Addict

I wish I could do so much more and I know everyone is excited but I have to put priorities on what counts...

Yes, it is the OpenGL drivers update. I will be experimenting with different mix of them in the next few days to find a good one to use.

for PB apps, it is possible but it will be a lot of work. Did you just copy the apps in the system/app folder or did you do something else? They will need some kind of conversion to be able to run.

For battery drain, it does drain faster. I think it has to do with the services it uses. I know one of the big drainer is Telephonyprovider and anything related to it. I might remove it and see if it improves battery life. Also, I need to look a bit furhter into the framework to see what I can do for the lockscreen and more.

For Wifi: It is all about permissions. First, if you can, look in the /data/misc/dhcpcd folder and tell me if there is a file in there.

i wish I could give everyone what they want but it is not going to be possible. Ultimately, the goal is to move on to Froyo, GB or ICS. Porting the SH20 ROM is good practice to know how to work with the OS and see what can be done.