Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 08:16 PM   #91
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Yeup. That's about the long and short of it.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #92
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Thanks for explaining.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #93
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
- It will seemingly read the added_order column from collections. That's good news, so I've added it to the driver. The order will be the order Calibre has the books. This behavior should be similar to the 505 driver.
That's great news, this will be very helpful when copying a series in your calibre library to the T1. calibre will be able to automatically generate a collection with the proper order, something that's such a painful process to do on the device itself -- thanks again!

And jackie_w, why would need the plugboard on the T1? Not really sure what the use case is for something like that, just curious. My understanding was that the plugboard feature is intended for devices that do not support ordered collections.

Last edited by log; 10-09-2011 at 08:37 PM.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #94
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just FYI, calibre updates metadata (apart from covers) in DRMed EPUBs as well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #95
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The plugboard lets you do some things like forcing the title/author to be the title_sort/author_sort field.

Although since the T1 has a 'sort by filename', you can sort-of work around some of the messiness that way.
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #96
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just FYI, calibre updates metadata (apart from covers) in DRMed EPUBs as well.
Good to know, couldn't remember if DRM'd ePub encrypted the OPF or not. So that pretty much means you have to update the ePub and DB for the plugboard to be effective, but it should work for the most part. It does require re-sending the ePub as a result.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #97
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
So that pretty much means you have to update the ePub and DB for the plugboard to be effective, but it should work for the most part. It does require re-sending the ePub as a result.
Since the Sony T-1 reads the epubs metadata, plugboards for the T-1 will need to use Format:epub instead of Format:device_db and as you have stated the books will need to be resent.

That's something I can live with, but since I won't even think about upgrading my 950 for a year I'm sure things between the T-1 and calibre will be sorted out. Of course the T-2 should be out by then.

Thanks for your efforts in supporting the Sony/calibre community.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #98
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Since the Sony T-1 reads the epubs metadata, plugboards for the T-1 will need to use Format:epub instead of Format:device_db and as you have stated the books will need to be resent.
Ideally, you want to use both, actually. It keeps the Sony from spending too much time updating the DB after you unplug from your computer. While it happens in the background, it does slow down the device and eats battery.

Quote:
That's something I can live with, but since I won't even think about upgrading my 950 for a year I'm sure things between the T-1 and calibre will be sorted out. Of course the T-2 should be out by then.
The assumes that the Sony behavior involved changes between now and then. Calibre can't exactly fix Sony design choices.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #99
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
And jackie_w, why would need the plugboard on the T1? Not really sure what the use case is for something like that, just curious. My understanding was that the plugboard feature is intended for devices that do not support ordered collections.
Because I like to see series/index info for each book, in whatever book list or Collection I happen to be in. The one I'm using at the moment for my PRS505 and 650 gives the result in the attached pic. It means when sorting the full book list by author, any books in a series are in order. What it will look like on the T1 I'm not sure yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plugboard.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	77546  
Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 PM   #100
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Because I like to see series/index info for each book, in whatever book list or Collection I happen to be in. The one I'm using at the moment for my PRS505 and 650 gives the result in the attached pic. It means when sorting the full book list by author, any books in a series are in order. What it will look like on the T1 I'm not sure yet.
I do the same for my 505, 950 and my kids 300s. It is a very nice feature.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:35 AM   #101
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Javkie_w: You may have posted it elsewhere, but if so I cannot spot it off-hand . Would you mind posting what plug-board settings you are using to get the listing like in the your last screenshot - I would not mind having my system set to give that sort of listing on my PRS-950.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:52 AM   #102
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Javkie_w: You may have posted it elsewhere, but if so I cannot spot it off-hand . Would you mind posting what plug-board settings you are using to get the listing like in the your last screenshot - I would not mind having my system set to give that sort of listing on my PRS-950.
Jackie's may vary but my 950 looks the same and I have mine set to:

Format: device_db
Device: PRS505
Source template: {author_sort} {series:| - | } {series_index:05.2f}
Destination Field: authors
Source template: {author_sort} {series:| - | } {series_index:05.2f}
Destination Field: author_sort
Source template: {author_sort} {series:| - | } {series_index:05.2f}{title}
Destination Field: title_sort

**I think I set the title sort for my 505 or 300, I don't think it is needed for the 950.

I also have my the Sony collection tweak set as follows:

# Specify how SONY collections are sorted sony_collection_sorting_rules = [(['series'], 'series_index')]

@jackie_w I would love to see what you have set and why if you remember. I certainly don't remember but it works.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-10-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #103
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@jackie_w I would love to see what you have set and why if you remember. I certainly don't remember but it works.
What I have set for the plugboard is:
Code:
Format: device_db
Device: PRS505
Source Template1: {author_sort}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>2s}
Destination Field1: authors
Source Template2: {series}{series_index:0>2s|| - }{title}
Destination Field2: title_sort
and the tweak for Sony Collection sorting
Code:
sony_collection_sorting_rules = [(['*'], '#coll505sort')]
where custom column #coll505sort is defined as
Code:
{author_sort:titlecase()}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>2s} - {title}
As for remembering WHY... trickier I remember doing quite a lot of faffing to arrive at something which worked for both the 505 and the 650. As you know, every Sony model seems to use slightly different sorting rules.

I think I added the title_sort plugboard designation to make the 505 work but also so that the "special" collections 'all by author' and 'all by title' worked as I wanted them to.

The author_sort plugboard designation, that you found you needed for the 950, isn't required for the 505/650.

I also remember it was necessary to make sure that in Prefs - Plugins - Device Interface - Sony - Customize, the box labelled 'Use author_sort for author' was unchecked.

The last thing I remember is that I needed to add the titlecase() function to the collection sorting field so that my calibre catalogs (which have author, calibre) sorted with other authors beginning with uppercase 'C' in the 'all by author' collection.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:23 AM   #104
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Code:
sony_collection_sorting_rules = [(['*'], '#coll505sort')]
where custom column #coll505sort is defined as
Code:
{author_sort:titlecase()}{series:| - | }{series_index:0>2s} - {title}
I used your (#coll505sort) setup until recently and changed to using just
Code:
sony_collection_sorting_rules = [(['series'], 'series_index')]
So sorting in series that had multiple authors also sorted correctly.

Quote:
The author_sort plugboard designation, that you found you needed for the 950, isn't required for the 505/650.
I'm not claiming the author_sort line is required for the 950.

Quote:
I also remember it was necessary to make sure that in Prefs - Plugins - Device Interface - Sony - Customize, the box labelled 'Use author_sort for author' was unchecked.
I just looked and have this checked, maybe that's why I ended up with the author_sort line in my plugboard.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:40 AM   #105
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I used your (#coll505sort) setup until recently and changed to using just
Code:
sony_collection_sorting_rules = [(['series'], 'series_index')]
So sorting in series that had multiple authors also sorted correctly.
Sounds good. I'll try that

Quote:
I'm not claiming the author_sort line is required for the 950...
...I just looked and have this checked, maybe that's why I ended up with the author_sort line in my plugboard.
I was recalling something you'd said in a thread a few months ago. Perhaps the 650 sorting and the 950 sorting are the same after all