Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-04-2023, 12:00 PM   #91
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Or...you buy the product that fits your wants and needs, and let others do the same. I know that I sound like a broken record, but your opinions are not equal to facts, and some people value other things than you do.

Shari
The OP wants a color Reader that's not too expensive. The color Reader recommended is more then the OP's budget.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 12:34 AM   #92
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The OP wants a color Reader that's not too expensive. The color Reader recommended is more then the OP's budget.
Wrong - he wanted one that wasn't crazy expensive; In addition, a budget limit looks different

Quote:
are there any good ones under $400
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2023, 04:24 AM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Wrong - he wanted one that wasn't crazy expensive; In addition, a budget limit looks different
Same difference.
Old 09-05-2023, 05:00 AM   #94
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
PocketBook InkPad Color 2 approx US $295. Might do text better than Kaleido 3.
Onyx Boox Tab Mini C approx US $ 445. Probably does images sharper than Inkpad Color 2

Both need front light or very strong ambient light and have terrible colour rendition, shades and performance compared to LCD / OLED.

May need to add sales tax and delivery charges. OP suggests under $400.

Crazy expensive depends on your assets / wealth / attitude.

Personally I'm happy to read on mono ink in my normal lighting I'd use for paper and use LCD for colour comics.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 01:27 PM   #95
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
PocketBook InkPad Color 2 approx US $295. Might do text better than Kaleido 3.
Unlikely - Kaleido plus has Carta 1000 as b/w basis, Kaleido 3 Carta 1200
Quote:
Onyx Boox Tab Mini C approx US $ 445. Probably does images sharper than Inkpad Color 2
Not only that, Tab Mini C has Super Refresh Technology, which you can't judge because you don't know it
Quote:
Both need front light or very strong ambient light and have terrible colour rendition, shades and performance compared to LCD / OLED.
The latter is not EInk and also needs lighting that shines directly in your eyes
Advert
Old 09-05-2023, 02:27 PM   #96
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
FWIW PocketBook InkPad Color 2 is now $295 (USD) - only $40 more than the InkPad 4 with the same screen dimensions. It has a faster CPU and more storage than the IP4.

Yes, it is not Kaleido 3, and thus a non starter for some.

For me, it is more of a sweet spot than Tab Mini C, which is not only $150 more, but has features I place no value in (note taking, Android). And I like PocketBook platform. I think the display would be good enough for me.

But I'm not really in the market to get anything in this class right now.
I was. I was going back and forth on the Inkpad 4 and the Color 2. The slight price increase wasn't too bad, so, I figured I might as well try the color version.

The Tab Mini C is nice, but absolutely not worth the extra money, for me, as I have a very good Android tablet already.

For me, the color is mostly a gizmo, I don't really need it. I just wanted it. Haven't really seen the screen in a bright environment, so I can't comment on that. But even on my One, I never turned off the light....
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 04:15 PM   #97
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
also needs lighting that shines directly in your eyes
All color eink needs light from the device, it shines in your eyes no differently to LCD or OLED properly adjusted.

You see everything by the light shining in your eyes.

Quote:
Unlikely - Kaleido plus has Carta 1000 as b/w basis
I thought it was Carta 1200 with a stripe filter. My mistake. However the stripe 100 x 300 might have subpixel addressing on text and the patterned 150 x 150 is unlikely to have subpixel. addressing. I'd need to see the same small serif font same size on both to be convinced the InkPad Color 2 isn't better for text. But for text a mono eink is far batter than either. The Inkpad Color 2 is worse for text than the Mini if it has no sub-pixel addressing for text (It only applies to text).

Also there is nearly no difference on Carta 1000 and Carta 1200 on mono with front light. The advantage of the Carta 1200 is with no front light, which is usually impossible with color eink indoors.

I rarely use the front light; only when light is too poor to read anything.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 04:38 PM   #98
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Unlikely - Kaleido plus has Carta 1000 as b/w basis, Kaleido 3 Carta 1200Not only that, Tab Mini C has Super Refresh Technology, which you can't judge because you don't know itThe latter is not EInk and also needs lighting that shines directly in your eyes
Can you please explain what Super Refresh Technology is? Thanks.
Old 09-06-2023, 02:46 AM   #99
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Can you please explain what Super Refresh Technology is?
Handling ghosting and acceleration of the screen using extra hardware.

I no longer see refresh flickering and the remnants of ghost images (on all EInk devices) that are mostly still present in the white background (when reading) disappear here within a very short time (~ 1 second)

I've been so spoiled by this technology that I don't want to continue using any of my other devices (Boox, Kindle, Kobo, Tolino).

And this technology is only available with 7.8 inches or 10.3 inches / 300 ppi in color, whereby there is no difference in quality to b/w Carta 1200 screens when illuminated (with the same background brightness).
Old 09-06-2023, 04:07 AM   #100
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
All color eink needs light from the device, it shines in your eyes no differently to LCD or OLED properly adjusted.

You see everything by the light shining in your eyes.
Only there is a proven difference in quality between being shined on directly and light being reflected from a matt surface.

With the first I get conjunctival problems, the latter doesn't matter.
Old 10-17-2023, 08:19 AM   #101
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
PocketBook has just announced the InkPad Color 3 with Kaleido 3. The price in Europe is 319 € (with promotions it can be reduced to 280 €). It will be available in November.

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/news/poc...olor-3-news-ch

Last edited by cellaris; 10-17-2023 at 09:16 AM.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:55 AM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
PocketBook has just announced the InkPad Color 3 with Kaleido 3. The price in Europe is 319 € (with promotions it can be reduced to 280 €). It will be available in November.

https://pocketbook.ch/en-ch/news/poc...olor-3-news-ch
The OP wants a reader that's not crazy expensive. This is crazy expensive.
Old 10-17-2023, 11:10 AM   #103
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
Quote:
The OP wants a reader that's not crazy expensive. This is crazy expensive.
Expensive?
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:42 AM   #104
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
Expensive?
US$300 for a 7.8" eReader is crazy expensive, even if it has color support.

It's not big enough to handle comic books well, which is pretty much the #1 reason for color in an eReader. You're far better off getting a 10" eInk device without color (good size for comics and other fixed layout) or a tablet ($120 for an 8" device, and around $200 for a 10-11").
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:47 AM   #105
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
US$300 for a 7.8" eReader is crazy expensive, even if it has color support.

It's not big enough to handle comic books well, which is pretty much the #1 reason for color in an eReader. You're far better off getting a 10" eInk device without color (good size for comics and other fixed layout) or a tablet ($120 for an 8" device, and around $200 for a 10-11").
The price is in Euros.