Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #91
professzore
Connoisseur
professzore began at the beginning.

Device: Something 8" in a 6" body: RS800 or similar (txtr with +2 inches)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Download and unzip it and under the help folder you'll find the manual.
Thanks, worked fine!
professzore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #92
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by professzore View Post
What about a public domain (for example, google docs)?

As I saw on your pictures, KDX seems a bit flurry/soft compared to the
iRex. Since Kindle have much better display than the "average", I tought
that iRex have something far over the competitors.

If you're interested to some "special" testing PDF-s (and hopefully ePub), just let me know. I'll finish a series of 5/6/8/10 inch optimized series of documents in a few days (possibly at the end of this week).
Considering that it's a touchscreen, iRex IS ahead of the competition, for example (slightly) superior to Sony 900 (but way more expensive on the other hand). But between all those units, it's minor differences.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #93
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
Here's a comparison of the text-rendering with a relatively small font on the Iliad and the DR800S. Both from the same PDF and without zoom. Done with the "kids USB microscope", 20x enlargement.

First picture is Iliad, second DR800S. You can also see again the "speckles" of the Iliads screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IliadRender.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	43989   Click image for larger version

Name:	DR800SRender.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	43990  
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #94
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Considering that it's a touchscreen, iRex IS ahead of the competition, for example (slightly) superior to Sony 900 (but way more expensive on the other hand). But between all those units, it's minor differences.
Without annotation support, it's about even. If they manage to implement that again, it's leaps and bounds ahead of the Sony.. The pen is far more accurate than anything the competition has to offer WRT on-screen writing.. but without that it's just a "very clear screen" with no unique selling points at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeReader View Post
Here's a comparison of the text-rendering with a relatively small font on the Iliad and the DR800S. Both from the same PDF and without zoom. Done with the "kids USB microscope", 20x enlargement.

First picture is Iliad, second DR800S. You can also see again the "speckles" of the Iliads screen.
This looks nice, btw. Can you also compare this to the prs-300?
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #95
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
speaking of Sony, where can I but in Europe the PRS-900 ?
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #96
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeReader View Post

The font on Iliad looks thicker.
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #97
DeReader
Connoisseur
DeReader doesn't litterDeReader doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iRex DR1000S, Kindle DXG, Jetbook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
This looks nice, btw. Can you also compare this to the prs-300?
Sure, here is the pic for the PRS-300, same PDF document, but in this case in landscape mode, otherwise the text is not readable due to the lower resolution and screen size. I think the screen quality is very good on the PRS-300.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PRS300Render.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	43991  
DeReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #98
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
speaking of Sony, where can I but in Europe the PRS-900 ?
Haven't seen Sony 900 anywhere in Europe yet. Given the 3G issues, it probably will be a while - if ever...
Old 01-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #99
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Thanks for all the info Anything about the battery?
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #100
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
So far, it seems about average. But I haven't found any configurations, i. e. standby time or anything like that. I guess we'll have to observe some days.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #101
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I can't access the Micro SD card in Windows (doesn't even show). Neither the original one, nor mine. No idea, whether that's standard or a failure of my unit.
I have to check again, whether it's a feature or has been coincidence or an "accident": I've copied some books to the root of internal memory, just to check them out and make some pictures. Next time, when accessing them, they have been on the Micro SD card. Maybe content is copied automatically to the SD card? Anyway, I've copied the first part of my library manually via adapter to the card and then reinserted it into the reader - loaded with the first 400 eBooks of various formats.
I've made a stupid mistake. I've mistaken the SD card for internal memory. iRex 800 is showing the SD card. I've formatted it within the reader. For whatever reason it did format the 8GB card only to 1GB, that's why I've mistaken it for the internal memory. So I see the card within Windows explorer and can access it. I don't see internal memory though. Same for DeReader (the other DR 800 owner posting in this thread). I certainly won't need internal memory, but I'm a bit surprised. But probably it helps protecting the OS.
And on their website, iRex only states the memory of the SD card, no internal memory. So it makes sense...

Last edited by mgmueller; 01-21-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:19 PM   #102
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
From the posted photos, the battery is 2800mAh. For comparison:
iliad (v2): 2 x 1100mAh (2200mAh)
dr1000s: 1300mAh

Of course, battery size alone doesn't determine how long the device will run, since things like better performance (higher-clocked cpu?), faster / cleaner page turns (more voltage applied to e-ink), and new power management software can affect battery usage.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #103
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
I've made a stupid mistake. I've mistaken the SD card for internal memory. iRex 800 is showing the SD card. I've formatted it within the reader. For whatever reason it did format the 8GB card only to 1GB, that's why I've mistaken it for the internal memory. So I see the card within Windows explorer and can access it. I don't see internal memory though. Same for DeReader (the other DR 800 owner posting in this thread). I certainly won't need internal memory, but I'm a bit surprised. But probably it helps protecting the OS.
And on their website, iRex only states the memory of the SD card, no internal memory. So it makes sense...
Assuming you re-formatted your 8GB correctly, can you verify that the device can see all 8GB of your card? I'm hoping it's sdhc compliant, meaning support for up to 32GB cards.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #104
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe it's FBReader.
You should be able to install FBreader on the DR800 as well. I don't expect it will take the developer community too long before they have it ported and ready, assuming that the one for the DR1000 doesn't already work on the DR800.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #105
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You can install a non-DRM reader of mobipocket, no problem. You're just not allowed to install "the official" mobipocket reader, which will read DRM'ed books.

They didn't know what they're talking about, apparently... Or they think there's only a DRM'ed version of Mobipocket... Or how else would would all those companies with a Hanlin rebrand do it?
iRex used the "official" Mobipocket SDK to build their Mobipocket viewer, that's probably why theirs is not allowed to be used. It sounds like Hanlin, etc, are using FBReader for non-DRM Mobipocket support, which should also be installable on the DR800. I would assume that the version for the DR1000 would work "as is", or would be easy to port over if it required any small tweaks.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
irex 800