Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #91
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Cozy mysteries are very much whodunits and whytheydidits

I think I'll check that one out!
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #92
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert501 View Post
I'm really enjoying the "Royal Spyness" series by Rhys Bowen. I would call them "cozies" since they have a murder (or 2!) but they're not thrillers more like whodunits and whytheydidits lol.

The hook is that the heroine is 34th in line to the British throne but hasn't a penny so she works as a domestic all the while spying on Edward & Mrs. Simpson for Her Majesty!

Very well done and I highly recommend the series. I'm on book 3 and they just keep getting better!!
I read the first one and found it a fascinating glimpse backwards in time, and into English culture. The other two are on my to be read Mountain. (I passed Pile years ago...)
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #93
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Sooooo, I just finished reading my first cozy mystery - Magnolias, Moonlight, and Murder by Sara Rosett. It started slow and I didn't get into it until about the mid-point. I was starting to think this genre wasn't for me ... then things started getting good.

Of course I realize this is just one book, so I likely would have read at least a couple more by other authors before dismissing it completely. As it turns out, I really enjoyed it and I'm trying to decide on a second one.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #94
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Sooooo, I just finished reading my first cozy mystery - Magnolias, Moonlight, and Murder by Sara Rosett. It started slow and I didn't get into it until about the mid-point. I was starting to think this genre wasn't for me ... then things started getting good.

Of course I realize this is just one book, so I likely would have read at least a couple more by other authors before dismissing it completely. As it turns out, I really enjoyed it and I'm trying to decide on a second one.
Try Julie Hyzy's White House Chef series
Old 01-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #95
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
There's a great series by Kerry Greenwood, the Phryne Fisher stories. They are set in Melbourne in the 1920's. Phryne is young, rich and beautiful and solves crimes with the help of her Chinese lover, companion Dot and two wharfies among others. They are great fun and for the Aussies out there Phryne is a dead ringer for Claudia from the ABC'x Collectors. I assume they would be available outside Oz but don't know if they are as ebooks.

PS How did I get the squares under my user name that come up with a message?
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 01:11 AM   #96
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
There's a great series by Kerry Greenwood, the Phryne Fisher stories. They are set in Melbourne in the 1920's. Phryne is young, rich and beautiful and solves crimes with the help of her Chinese lover, companion Dot and two wharfies among others. They are great fun and for the Aussies out there Phryne is a dead ringer for Claudia from the ABC'x Collectors. I assume they would be available outside Oz but don't know if they are as ebooks.

PS How did I get the squares under my user name that come up with a message?
That's your Karma score. Apparently, you've been helpful, and some folks felt like saying "thank you". If you hover your mouse over the boxes, you'll see a Karma fortune. And wow, that's a LOT of Karma for 14 posts!! Right now your Karma Fortune says, "amward has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader." Your Karma Fortune will change as your Karma changes, until it runs out at ...ummm. I don't remember when it runs out, I just know mine has. After that, all you get is ".........ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now".
For a better explanation, look here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10713
Old 01-28-2011, 05:02 AM   #97
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Thanks for that Shel,
I thought it was a lot of karma, don't know what I've done to deserve it, it's gotta be a mistake.

Just remembered that Kerry Greenwood does another series set in present day Melbourne. The heroine is a baker and lives in an amazing block of flats (apartments) inhabited by equally amazing people. She solves murders and mysteries with the help of her Israeli agent lover, her apprentice and some of the tenants of her building.

Anne
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #98
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Thanks for that Shel,
I thought it was a lot of karma, don't know what I've done to deserve it, it's gotta be a mistake.

Just remembered that Kerry Greenwood does another series set in present day Melbourne. The heroine is a baker and lives in an amazing block of flats (apartments) inhabited by equally amazing people. She solves murders and mysteries with the help of her Israeli agent lover, her apprentice and some of the tenants of her building.

Anne
I had heard of both series, but didn't know what the present day one was about, that sounds really good.

To find out what you got Karma for, and how much, go to the top blue bar where it says User CP.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #99
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been reading the Virgin River books lately but I'm about to finish the book I'm on right now and buy the 4th DIY. (: Sooo excited.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #100
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Try Julie Hyzy's White House Chef series
Thanks, I will check that out right now.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:55 AM   #101
lyric39
lyric39
lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric39 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: elonex 621eb
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Yup, Lyric: There's the *Belinda Lawrence Mysteries* series by Brian Kavanagh -- set in the UK and with all the ingredients that seem popular in this thread. The fourth, *A Canterbury Crime* has just been released in paperback and all ebook formats by BeWrite Books.

If you want to read about it, click on my link below and go to the bookstore section. If you want to read about the entire series, the titles, the author, and read free extracts, click on the *Our Authors* button there and scroll down to Brian Kavanagh.

Anyone visiting or contributing in the Cozy Mysteriers Corner here who's interested can drop me an email and I'll send the first of the series *Capable of Murder* by return attachment in the format of your choice (PDF, ePub or Mobi) with our compliments.

Cheers. Neil -- ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign, of course)
Thanks for the suggestions Neil, much appreciated, always great to hear about great books related to my search, I'll do the above suggestion in a minute all the best
lyric39
lyric39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #102
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I just finished reading Mary Jane Maffini's Organise Your Corpses. It's definitely cozy material -- giddily upbeat littered with wiseacres characters so shall they make half-full wading pool look terrifying. An easy breezy read with a cute premise: the single female 30s-something amateur detective is an "organiser" who stumbles across dead bodies in a small town.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #103
teadonkey
Zealot

Just started the first book in the Coffeehouse Mysteries series by Coyle. I have maybe just a little trouble with the constant information on coffee, but maybe that's because I'm not a coffee drinker. (; But I do think it's cute so far.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #104
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
Just started the first book in the Coffeehouse Mysteries series by Coyle. I have maybe just a little trouble with the constant information on coffee, but maybe that's because I'm not a coffee drinker. (; But I do think it's cute so far.
I tended to skim over those parts.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:20 PM   #105
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Yes, the constant coffee data can reach over-dose levels, but the first book in the series which I read recently was engaging. There's also a little more depth (not much, but a little more) than the characters in the organiser series (based strictly on book one of each). Or, maybe I just warm to coffee more easily than cleaning up my desk ....
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote