Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #91
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
I've modified my program a bit more now, and the 'Metadata Download' window has an AMAZON FETCH button, plus a FLIP button. They enable downloading the synopsis from Amazon and then comparing with the synopsis retrieved by Calibre. The cover is also downloaded for comparing, and usable if wanted.

I've been using this for quite a while now, and I am chuffed and very happy with the result, and oftentimes I combine elements from the two sources to add to the resulting OPF file.

I am finding that I need to use the FETCH for 95%+ ebooks I buy, mostly for the synopsis (which is missing or virtually useless), but on the odd occasion for a crappy or non existent cover too. Of those synopses, about 85% of the time I do an AMAZON FETCH too, which more often than not I prefer. About 30% of the time I use both in some form of a combination.

One day I will do something about the 1,000+ ebooks I have, that don't have a synopsis or a poor one.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #92
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I usually scroll through Calibre and read the synopsis for the books there. For my family members, I used Calibre Companion and a Fire 7 and loaded everything on that. They can then click on the book to read the synopsis and even read it from there or I can send it or transfer it to their ereader. The only disadvantage to this method is that it is another step and I only update the Fire Calibre library every 4 or 5 months.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #93
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Wow eye opening thread thanks, no blurbs on a Kindle to go with no ability to use the cover of your current book as the screensaver? Glad I read that before I ordered an Oasis. That makes Kindles a total no-go for me now.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:24 PM   #94
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I wouldn't say no blurbs, just not as simple to get to and sometimes missing. At the very least, authors should provide the blurb at the start of the ebook ... and some do.

If that blurb was always on Page 3 for instance, it would be simple and quick, for an ereader device to display it with a single click or provide an INFO button etc.

But I admit I have never understood why the cover of the currently being read ebook, wasn't the screensaver. And even worse now when they use the screensaver for adverts, which just defies sense, when E-Ink readers are competing with tablets, and no doubt losing ground. Why make them less appealing?
Old 07-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
Well, I wouldn't say no blurbs, just not as simple to get to and sometimes missing. At the very least, authors should provide the blurb at the start of the ebook ... and some do.

If that blurb was always on Page 3 for instance, it would be simple and quick, for an ereader device to display it with a single click or provide an INFO button etc.

But I admit I have never understood why the cover of the currently being read ebook, wasn't the screensaver. And even worse now when they use the screensaver for adverts, which just defies sense, when E-Ink readers are competing with tablets, and no doubt losing ground. Why make them less appealing?
You've just mentioned some really good reasons to go with a Kobo. You get the cover as the sleep screen (it is not a screensaver as there's nothing to save), no adverts, and you can have the eBook's description. This a Kindle still won't do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #96
Timboli
Fanatic

True, it is not a screensaver as such, not in the full sense, but just a kind of preview image or something ... don't recall what you actually call it. Bit like a wallpaper in one sense.

Been a few years since I last checked out a Kobo device. I have a couple of bought ebooks and a few dozen freebies in my Kobo library, so I might go that way for my next ereader. I certainly won't say never, though I prefer the Amazon Kindle store ... at least for pricing and variety. Kobo store is admittedly less cluttered.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:53 PM   #97
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Everything Wolf says is true. Based on your comments, you should get a Kobo. It does everything you want.

Quote:
I have a couple of bought ebooks and a few dozen freebies in my Kobo library, so I might go that way for my next ereader. I certainly won't say never, though I prefer the Amazon Kindle store ... at least for pricing and variety. Kobo store is admittedly less cluttered.
I buy from Amazon and read on my Kobo. It's simple to do.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:28 PM   #98
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I buy from Amazon and read on my Kobo. It's simple to do.
Yep, easy enough FOR NOW ... if you are willing to break a few laws or rules.

That could change anytime I guess.

Unless the E-Ink Kobo allows/supports the Kindle App or formats???
Old 08-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #99
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep, easy enough FOR NOW ... if you are willing to break a few laws or rules.
Rules are made to be broken. Laws? Format shifting is legal in the US.

Quote:
That could change anytime I guess.
A meteor could wipe out all like on Earth in an instant. Anything can happen. Meanwhile, I have bought many, many, many books in a way that suits me.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #100
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
But not removing DRM for personal backups, unfortunately.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #101
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
But not removing DRM for personal backups, unfortunately.
I don't believe stripping DRM is illegal in the United States. Can you point me to anything saying it is illegal?
Old 08-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #102
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't believe stripping DRM is illegal in the United States. Can you point me to anything saying it is illegal?
DMCA

https://www.copyright.gov/1201/2018/

Skimmed the list of exemptions, an exemption is made for blind persons so ebooks can be read via screenreaders. I didn't see an exemption for the purpose of making backups or to be able to read ebooks on other ereaders. Given the stance on cellphones, I think there's a case to be made to request for an exemption for the latter.

There's no DRM on CD so converting CD to MP3 is okay.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #103
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
DMCA
I was looking at Abbey House Media v. Apple Inc. (Link is to a Gizmodo article, but from there you can directly read the ruling if interested.)

Removal of DRM in itself (or telling people how to do so) wasn't found to be illegal. Posting those de-DRMed copies for others to download would be illegal.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #104
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
I was looking at Abbey House Media v. Apple Inc. (Link is to a Gizmodo article, but from there you can directly read the ruling if interested.)

Removal of DRM in itself (or telling people how to do so) wasn't found to be illegal. Posting those de-DRMed copies for others to download would be illegal.
It's great to see a judge employ a common sense approach.

Quote:
With regard to contributory infringement, Judge Cote noted that neither publisher alleged that Abbey House actually knew of any infringement that followed the stripping of DRM from ebooks (indeed, the publishers failed to identify any specific instance of direct infringement at all). Since contributory infringement requires both knowledge of direct infringement and material assistance to the direct infringer, she dismissed this claim.
That said, I don't believe there's actually been a case regarding removal of DRM from ebooks for personal use so it's still up in the air how the "No DRM circumvention" of the DMCA will stand. The above is good precedent, though, but it's better to have exemptions for fair use written into law (or really, just get rid of DMCA section 1201 since it just hampers consumers who purchase legally while being quite ineffective at preventing piracy).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 08-09-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:04 AM   #105
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
I don't live in the U.S.
And format shifting isn't DRM removal, which is required first for many ebooks.
It is not clear to me, that DRM removal for personal use, is acceptable in the eyes of the Law, though at the whim of a Judge you might get away with it.

Quote:
A meteor could wipe out all like on Earth in an instant. Anything can happen. Meanwhile, I have bought many, many, many books in a way that suits me.
Not sure of the relevance.

At the moment, DRM can be stripped, if you have things setup right.

That could likely change any time if Amazon wanted ... and we still can't strip it from version 25 and newer. So nowhere near a rare event like that meteor.

So in my view, not wise to buy a Kobo for me, counting on being able to strip the DRM from Kindle ebooks, which is what I mostly buy (99%). That to me, is like putting all your eggs in one basket.

That said, if I did buy a Kobo, it would be because I wasn't counting on the status quo not changing. It would be because I have a large library anyway, and I wanted a Kobo for practical reader reasons.

In fact, both my Kindle devices are full, with many of my purchases not even on them. I have some of the overflow, the graphical based ebooks, on my Samsung tablet. I can only browse the rest on Kindle For PC, which has all my purchased Kindle ebooks.

So I am at that stage where another portable device would be handy ... if just for all the Amazon freebies, most of which aren't on my devices. But hey, that's a first world problem ... so no hurry ... yet.