Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #91
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
It should work, but might be a tad slower than without a case.

This is an interesting kit: Source
That's cool. A huge improvement over the first generation of magnetic chargers which required their own special case.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #92
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I do have a fair bit of games on mine which (annoyingly) update constantly it seems. I did recently turn off auto update, but it didn't seem to help the battery life really.
Check Greenify, you can hibernate apps when not in use so they won't wake up your device and waste battery. It was updated recently to not require root, though without root it's not as fully featured as with it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #93
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Check Greenify, you can hibernate apps when not in use so they won't wake up your device and waste battery. It was updated recently to not require root, though without root it's not as fully featured as with it.
Thank you so much! Will give it a try.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #94
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The efficiency will fall off with the inverse square of the distance between the device and the charger, so a case of any significant thickness will probably noticeably increase the charge time.
I don't think it's necessarily an inverse-square relation. (If nothing else, inverse square relationships tend to infinity as separation approaches zero, and efficiency clearly has a definite upper bound so that can't happen!).

Inverse square laws tend to be for point sources (or where the separation between the elements is very large with respect to the size of those elements) - for example the electric field generated by a charged plane doesn't fall off with an inverse square so long as we're close to that plane (where close means distances similar to the size of the plane) - an infinite charged plane will generate a uniform field that is independent of the distance from it.

In this case we're looking at coupling between two planar inductive coils of reasonable sizes. IIRC, the transfer efficiency of such an arrangement remains pretty good so long as the distance between the coils is smaller than the diameter of the coils (the smaller coil in the case where the transmitter and receiver coils are different sizes).

I don't know the size of the coils in the case of Qi, but looking at the size of device I'd say it would likely be larger than the thickness of most cases.

Of course, the electromagnetic properties of the materials of the case could make it worse than we'd get just by increasing the distance.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #95
Chris Jones
Addict
Chris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five wordsChris Jones can name that ebook in five words

Device: none
Music to my ears...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The Nexus 7 is the only device I read on now. I couldn't imagine reading on anything else. I use to get eye strain reading on my Kindle Paperwhite. I don't think front lit devices are for me. I had switched back to my unlit Kindle to read on before I got the N7. Now I just read on the N7 using Moon+ Pro. I modified one of the app's background to look just like a paperback page and I use a nice dark font so it feels like I am reading a real book and not a washout newspaper article that eInk gives you. I love being able to switch fonts. I have two fonts that works for me. One for modern books and One for Historical fiction. I get no eye strain whatsoever when reading and my eyes don't get hot like they did with the Paperwhite.
I had been looking far and wide for this piece of information for the last couple of months. I've used backlit LCD's 10-12 hours a day mostly reading/writing code for the last 15 years and I never ever experienced any eye strain.

I've been using a Kobo Glo' to read in bed every night and with its really feeble contrast.. I have found that I can read for about ten minutes and my eyes begin to hurt..! The front light makes it worse but it also happens when I use a bedside lamp and turn off the Kobo's front light. On a couple of occasions it got so bad that I had to get out of bed to finish reading a chapter on my laptop..!

Since everybody and the journalists appeared to say that tablets were not good for your eyes I thought.. well maybe there's something in it and a tablet is going to be even worse than my e-reader.

Much thanks for confirming what I long suspected... that such claims are just E-Ink Inc.'s marketspeak...

Of course I have a number of other issues with e-readers (no colors, no audio, slow CPU, randomly unresponsive touch-screen..) but this is going to be the deciding factor.

You live and learn.. I guess. Only thing I'll miss is the battery life.

Last edited by Chris Jones; 02-05-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: typo
Chris Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #96
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
Since everybody and the journalists appeared to say that tablets were not good for your eyes I thought.. well maybe there's something in it and a tablet is going to be even worse than my e-reader.

Much thanks for confirming what I long suspected... that such claims are just E-Ink Inc.'s marketspeak...
. Only thing I'll miss is the battery life.
Battery life, smaller size, lighter weight....those are the things I miss. I pretty much don't use my Kobo Glo unless I am going somewhere at night...smaller and lighter than my tablets. At home, I use my tablets to read on.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:16 AM   #97
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I really don't think that's fair, Chris. There are many people here at MR who do report problems using LCD screens. If they have problems, then those problems are real to them, regardless of what other people might experience.

I don't personally have any problems using LCD screens, but that's not to say that other people don't.

Use what suits you personally. It's very much an individual choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #98
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I had been looking far and wide for this piece of information for the last couple of months. I've used backlit LCD's 10-12 hours a day mostly reading/writing code for the last 15 years and I never ever experienced any eye strain.

I've been using a Kobo Glo' to read in bed every night and with its really feeble contrast.. I have found that I can read for about ten minutes and my eyes begin to hurt..! The front light makes it worse but it also happens when I use a bedside lamp and turn off the Kobo's front light. On a couple of occasions it got so bad that I had to get out of bed to finish reading a chapter on my laptop..!

Of course I have a number of other issues with e-readers (no colors, no audio, slow CPU, randomly unresponsive touch-screen..) but this is going to be the deciding factor.

It's the contrast that does this on eINK. Having a really dark font will help alot but frontlit readers for some reason do give me eye strain no matter what I try. I don't get it on my non lit Kindle which is a K4 Black Edition. However I do find myself getting sleeping when I read on it and there isn't enough light in the room.

My Nexus 7 I have none of these issues but I do keep the light down on my tablet all the way to minimum. In my Reader app it looks like a piece of paper I am staring at you would never know I am looking at a backlit LCD tablet. I use Moon+ and the immersion mode that Kit Kat brought us really helps keep my eyes from having any strain of any kind that I will read for four hours straight without taking a break! I never did that on eReader not that I recommended that. You're suppose to take a break every so often but sometimes at night I just get suck into a good book and before I know it hours have past. I keep my light setting on Moon+ at -5 for living room and -20 for in the dark reading.

I don't have issues with a tablet's battery life 3 days is plenty for me. I love the size and weight of the N7.2 because of the design it never seems heavy or hurts my arms to hold it one handed for hours. I have a really lightweight case that adds almost no weight.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #99
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
You must always see for yourself.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #100
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Just started reading some comics [Marvel's Infinity Gauntlet mini-series] and I'm wicked impressed with how the images display. I don't have to enlarge the picture at all. This is the comic reader for me!
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #101
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
Can someone please tell me why my mobile Chrome bookmarks keeps changing from list format to the larger icons three across? I much prefer the list, but I can't figure out how I got it that way in the first place, and now it's back to big icon.
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:31 AM   #102
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have looked at the settings on my nexus and I do not see a way to change from the icons to a list view. I too would like to see a list view so I am hoping someone has a way to do it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #103
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Chris, I am one of those people who cannot read for long periods of time on an LCD screen equipped device. If I do, I suffer pretty severe eyestrain and now, I am finding that I take forever to fall asleep after undertaking a bit of Facebook on either my iPad or N7v2 before bed.

I am certainly not alone is this and I thank Harry putting it so well.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #104
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:

Even been to the ophthalmologist ?

Some people don't have trouble reading with LCD (I don't really suffer eye strain from reading on my Nexus 7) , but I don't remember people saying e-ink was harder on their eyes. Maybe you're having trouble seeing contrast, and that's why LCD helps you ?

There are, IMHO, other factors than just the screen type, like ambient light, the overall quality of the screen, lights settings, font size, font weight ...

Try to set the frontlight higher (or lower ?) maybe.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-04-2014 at 08:26 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #105
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Even been to the ophthalmologist ?

Some people don't have trouble reading with LCD (I don't really suffer eye strain from reading on my Nexus 7) , but I don't remember people saying e-ink was harder on their eyes. Maybe you're having trouble seeing contrast, and that's why LCD helps you ?

There are, IMHO, other factors than just the screen type, like ambient light, the overall quality of the screen, lights settings, font size, font weight ...

Try to set the frontlight higher (or lower ?) maybe.
I am one of them who eINK messes with my eyes. The Kindle Paperwhite especially I can't read on it long periods of time. Front light just causes eye strain on me and my other Kindles makes me sleepy after reading on them.

I can read on my Nexus 7.2 for hours. Just last night I got caught up in a really good book and read for 10 hours straight no problem. I find people who claim they can't read on LCDs often have the screen set up too bright or have a crappy tablet. I keep my Nexus 7.2 brightness all the way down and on the Moon+ Pro Reader app I use -5 brightness in light settings which makes the screen look like a piece of paper. It's so real looking you can't tell you are looking at a backlit screen at all. I have no eye strain whatsoever and have been reading more since I got my tablet it's a dream come true for me. Also using these settings I have no problems sleeping. I sleep like a baby after reading. I remember on my Kindle Fire v1 I did suffer from some insomnia not so with the Nexus. So I do believe it's about how bright you set the screen.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote