Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 06:26 PM   #91
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
thats already been fixed in 0.4.87
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:03 AM   #92
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I can confirm that v.86 works nicely converting my LIT files to epub, and then reading them in Stanza on the iPhone.

This is utterly brilliant for me - thank you very much for making this splendid conversion tool!
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2008, 11:59 AM   #93
nomadic
nomadic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Is there a way to not have page numbers automatically added when converting from lit to epub?

Is there a way to have the cover picture be the size of a page, like when converting lit to lrf?

- not really issues, just curious to see if the above is possible

Last edited by nomadic; 09-27-2008 at 05:57 PM.
nomadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:33 PM   #94
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadic View Post
Is there a way to not have page numbers automatically added when converting from lit to epub?

Is there a way to have the cover picture be the size of a page, like when converting lit to lrf?
I was about to ask the same two questions, except I was converting HTML to ePUB when I noticed these two minor anomalies that didn't appear when converting HTML to LRF.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #95
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

page numbers are not automatically added. adobe DE automatically insists on displaying calculated page numbers.

As for the cover, sure.
Advert
Old 09-28-2008, 06:15 AM   #96
scottsan
Connoisseur
scottsan began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
0.4.87 errors

I sent an lrf file and then an epub file to my 505 after selecting main memory as the destination. Both files were successfully sent, but an error message appeared, which wasn't the case with 0.4.86:
Job: Upload 1 books to device:The New York Times [Sun, 28 Sep, 2008]
ValueError: The reader has no storage card connected.
Traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 20, in run
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 141, in _upload_books
File "calibre/devices/prs505/driver.pyo", line 403, in upload_books

Also, NY times news feed downloaded as epub has punctuation errors; namely endash (or emdash, not sure which is which) becomes a question mark.
otherwise the epubs look great.
scottsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:59 AM   #97
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Exploding MOBI file: JOB-A_Comedy_of_Justice.mobi
Creating EPUB file...
File "<string>", line 165, in <module>
File "<string>", line 161, in main
File "<string>", line 136, in any2epub
File "library.pyz/contextlib", line 33, in __exit__
File "library.pyz/contextlib", line 118, in nested
File "<string>", line 136, in any2epub
File "library.pyz/calibre.ebooks.epub.from_html", line 128, in convert
File "library.pyz/calibre.ebooks.metadata.opf2", line 446, in __init__
File "library.pyz/calibre.ebooks.metadata.opf2", line 276, in from_opf_spine_element
File "library.pyz/calibre.ebooks.metadata.opf2", line 265, in __init__
File "library.pyz/calibre.ebooks.metadata.opf2", line 49, in __init__
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/posixpath.py", line 49, in isabs
return s.startswith('/')
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'startswith'
Just got this output from a conversion...
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #98
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsan View Post
I sent an lrf file and then an epub file to my 505 after selecting main memory as the destination. Both files were successfully sent, but an error message appeared, which wasn't the case with 0.4.86:
Job: Upload 1 books to device:The New York Times [Sun, 28 Sep, 2008]
Traceback:
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 20, in run
File "calibre/gui2/device.pyo", line 141, in _upload_books
File "calibre/devices/prs505/driver.pyo", line 403, in upload_books

Also, NY times news feed downloaded as epub has punctuation errors; namely endash (or emdash, not sure which is which) becomes a question mark.
otherwise the epubs look great.
Click the arrow next to the send to device button and make sure send to card by default is unchecked.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #99
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Just got this output from a conversion...
open a ticket and attach the file.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:07 AM   #100
scottsan
Connoisseur
scottsan began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Click the arrow next to the send to device button and make sure send to card by default is unchecked.
I did.

How and where do I open a ticket?
Send the epub file?
scottsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #101
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/#Usage
Old 09-29-2008, 05:08 AM   #102
HardBoot
HardBoot began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
File Splitting Errors

I am getting quite a few file conversions aborting and reporting that they could not find a place to split the file (not sure I understand what that means!). I raised a ticket on one which was closed because the file didn't contain HTML tags. Does that mean all the errors I'm getting is due to the same problem?

When I look at the LRFs created for the same LITs, they seem to be formatted perfectly. However I have the problem that the LRF files created on my Vista pc are >5mb. A problem which didn't replicate on your pc.

Here are my questions:
1. Should I raise tickets on more of the splitting problems.
2. The EPUB conversion seems less robust (or less tolerant of dodgy input) than the LRF conversion. Is that because it is beta or is that always going to be the case?
3. Is there any thing you can suggest to fix the problem I have that LRF conversion result in such large files? Is there any further information I can send you to enable progress on it.

BTW is there any easy way for me to delete all these large LRF files other than going through the Edit Meta Information dialogue?
HardBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:02 AM   #103
mikeywilliams25
Enthusiast
mikeywilliams25 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo GloHD and Aura h2O
I converted a .lit file to epub and to lrf (calibre-0.4.88)
The epub doesn't resize when viewed on the reader, S,M or L are all the same size.
The lrf resizes fine.
Is this something in my setup or a feature of epubs?

I notice that scientific american also doesnt resize when in epub format.
mikeywilliams25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #104
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBoot View Post
I am getting quite a few file conversions aborting and reporting that they could not find a place to split the file (not sure I understand what that means!). I raised a ticket on one which was closed because the file didn't contain HTML tags. Does that mean all the errors I'm getting is due to the same problem?

When I look at the LRFs created for the same LITs, they seem to be formatted perfectly. However I have the problem that the LRF files created on my Vista pc are >5mb. A problem which didn't replicate on your pc.

Here are my questions:
1. Should I raise tickets on more of the splitting problems.
2. The EPUB conversion seems less robust (or less tolerant of dodgy input) than the LRF conversion. Is that because it is beta or is that always going to be the case?
3. Is there any thing you can suggest to fix the problem I have that LRF conversion result in such large files? Is there any further information I can send you to enable progress on it.

BTW is there any easy way for me to delete all these large LRF files other than going through the Edit Meta Information dialogue?
The problem is that the reader cannot handle EPUB files that have individual components larger than 300K, so calibre tries to split these files. It tries to split them on tag boundaries like page-breaks, heading tags, <p> tags etc. If your lit file contains a txt file instead of HTML (or an HTML file with just one tag with a lot of text), calibre wont find any tags and will therefore fail to split. Basically, this should only happen for some txt based LIT files. So raising tickets on these kinds of files is pointless.

It's really weird that you LRF file are so large. try running lrf2lrs on them and seeing what is taking up all the space. The text itself or embedded images or embedded fonts.

THe next release of calibre will have a control in the bulk metadata edit to delete a format.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #105
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeywilliams25 View Post
I converted a .lit file to epub and to lrf (calibre-0.4.88)
The epub doesn't resize when viewed on the reader, S,M or L are all the same size.
The lrf resizes fine.
Is this something in my setup or a feature of epubs?

I notice that scientific american also doesnt resize when in epub format.
That's a limitation of adobe DE (sometime it fails to rescale the fonts for more complex files). Could you send me the lit file, I'm interested in seeing exactly what causes this.