Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #91
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Is that standard compression? or high (huffdic) compression?
"Standard" PalmDOC compression. Calibre doesn't support compressing with huffdic compression (yet anyway, although the gains seem modest vs. the generation time).
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #92
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
"Standard" PalmDOC compression. Calibre doesn't support compressing with huffdic compression (yet anyway, although the gains seem modest vs. the generation time).
That's reassuring! I was hoping the answer would be "standard".

No need for high compression, except for dictionaries!

Thanks for the heads-up.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 PM   #93
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The GUI doesn't have an option to enable compression for mobi output. You have to use the commandline any2mobi with the option --compress
The manual says that this takes a long time to run, but I have not noticed any particular slowdown when compressing. Is it slower than zip for ePub?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:01 AM   #94
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah its implemented in pure python. Eventually either llasram or I will get around to implementing it in C at which point it will be enabled by default.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:11 AM   #95
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
The GUI doesn't have an option to enable compression for mobi output. You have to use the commandline any2mobi with the option --compress
Thanks
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #96
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
This might be a dumb question but I'm technically challenge but willing to learn new things, so I've always used the GUI but I want to run this command line. What path should I be pointing to in the command prompt to run this command line?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #97
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
What path should I be pointing to in the command prompt to run this command line?
The Calibre command line programs are automatically in your path, so you can run them from any directory. See Visual Kindle Guide for more details on using the command line. However, you don't need to download python and you don't need to worry about path issues (so its even easier than outlined in the guide).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #98
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The Calibre command line programs are automatically in your path, so you can run them from any directory. See Visual Kindle Guide for more details on using the command line. However, you don't need to download python and you don't need to worry about path issues (so its even easier than outlined in the guide).
Thank you!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:10 PM   #99
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Oh, this is just wonderful! Thanks so very much! I'm expecting my Kindle 2 this week and I'm in the process of organizing my ebook library, which at the moment is spread out between two readers (Sony and Kindle) and two memory cards (one per reader).

This tool is turning what could be a really tedious job into...um...a less tedious job?

In the 'Some people are never satisfied' category, given the Kindle's lack of folders, it would be nice if I could highlight a series of books in the Calibre library window and generate a text document containing the list of currently selected books, in order, including their 'series' info. Basically I'd want to be able to highlight some books, then copy that list into my clipboard for later pasting into a text document.

Then I could add that text document back into to the calibre library, edit metadata to add the author (E.G. Anthony, Piers), change the title to the overall series name (E.G. Xanth) and then move that document to the Kindle as an E-Book. Voila, I can open it on the Kindle and see the reading order for all 30 books in the series.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #100
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

While you cant do exactly that, you can get a list of all books in your library by running the following simple command ina terminal

Code:
calibredb list > books.txt
The file bookstxt will have a list of your books.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #101
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
While you cant do exactly that, you can get a list of all books in your library by running the following simple command ina terminal

Code:
calibredb list > books.txt
The file bookstxt will have a list of your books.
hmmm I see that, it works well but it does not list the series info. Could that be added? I just want a way not to have to type in a zillion titles just so I can have a list of series reading orders...
Old 02-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #102
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibredb list --help
Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #103
mdibella
Groupie

OH WOOT! That's perfect!!!!

Thanks so very much!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #104
mdibella
Groupie

I have some books in my Calibre library that exist only in LRF format. They are not DRM books, just LRF.

Trying to convert them to MOBI results in the message 'this book has no supported formats'.

I would have thought it would convert the book to html and then to MOBI, a 2 step process. Is this not the case?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:29 PM   #105
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
I have some books in my Calibre library that exist only in LRF format. They are not DRM books, just LRF.

Trying to convert them to MOBI results in the message 'this book has no supported formats'.

I would have thought it would convert the book to html and then to MOBI, a 2 step process. Is this not the case?
See LRFTools at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28707
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote