Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-25-2011, 05:50 AM   #91
ne0rmatrix
Enthusiast
ne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverne0rmatrix exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: kobo Aura HD,Apple Ipad Mini,Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4,LG G4
I have noticed a consistant behavior with regard to sleep of death problem that appears on all of the updates so far. If the Vox is plugged in while being used and not unplugged before use i have found in my case that it does not have any sod issues.

Can anyone replicate this? Oh i should mention i have not had it fail to wake up while plugged in with wifi off, airplane mode on, or with sleep policy on. If anyone could test this im sure the kobo development team would find this usefull. If its just my device its quirky not a pattern of behavior.
ne0rmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #92
Noranoo
Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Vox
can someone please confirm the UK software and firmware build numbers?

thanks and hope youre all having a very merry christmas. hic.
Noranoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #93
sandyjunebug
sandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enoughsandyjunebug will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Touch 600
Thanks Taming for your reply, I sent the router up as directed, it had a plan WPA address (dlink device) and the reader was with 5 feet of the router and would not connect. Kobo said to keep trying to download to get to the set up page even if I get the error message. I will be going to see the Geek squad on Tuesday to get their help. Merry Xmas
sandyjunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #94
solwisesteve
Enthusiast
solwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Vox
I've already been posting on 'the other' thread pertaining to this recent update. Just to say I'm in the same camp as so many other users i.e. SOD problem. I've twice tried a full reset including reformating the flash drive. No extra apps installed so I can't blame 3rd party apps. SOD all the time now :-( Just my 2d worth: If this IS an Android problem, and it might well be, then why do some people have it and not others and why was my Vox fine for 1-2 weeks and then came on with avengence? :-( How come teh same OS can work fine for a time and then sudden'y go so wrong? It's a shame there's no way to do a real, clean setup.
solwisesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:17 AM   #95
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjunebug View Post
Thanks Taming for your reply, I sent the router up as directed, it had a plan WPA address (dlink device) and the reader was with 5 feet of the router and would not connect. Kobo said to keep trying to download to get to the set up page even if I get the error message. I will be going to see the Geek squad on Tuesday to get their help. Merry Xmas

Check how many IP addresses you have set up on your router. When you have a limited number and you have more devices than that number trying to connect, some of them won't...I had the problem last week when my daughter came to visit wih her phone, computer and iPod. A couple of others have also had the same problem which is solved by going into your router's configuration and adding IP addresses (such as 192.168.1.120,1,3,4,5 etc.) so that all the wireless devices can make a connection.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #96
solwisesteve
Enthusiast
solwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animalssolwisesteve is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne0rmatrix View Post
If the Vox is plugged in while being used and not unplugged before use i have found in my case that it does not have any sod issues.

Can anyone replicate this? Oh i should mention i have not had it fail to wake up while plugged in with wifi off, airplane mode on, or with sleep policy on. If anyone could test this im sure the kobo development team would find this usefull. If its just my device its quirky not a pattern of behavior.
I think you are correct wrt the charging. When on charge then it seems to awake from sleep mode just fine for me. I'll try it a few more times to confiurm this.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:17 PM   #97
solwisesteve
Enthusiast

Nope... scrap that.... Just did SOD three times whilst charging (90%). Then several times in a row once fully charged. This is with wifi permanently set off. Also just had it mysteriously half switch back on again of it's own accord. I mean I went back to is and the screen was black/blank but the three buttons lit. Holding pwr for 10 seconds switched it off fully.

tbh I wonder if it's something to do with the internal SD. I don't know but I'm getting the rare, odd strange thing when the internal SD is taking time coming on line at power up or not at all - this has happened 3 or 4 times.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #98
solwisesteve
Enthusiast

Sorry double post again.

Last edited by solwisesteve; 01-01-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #99
davidkettle
Enthusiast
davidkettle began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I had to do a factory reset (a few times) after the update, but it seems to be working OK now. I never had the SOD problem before, so I can't comment on that. I did notice, though, that the password protection isn't working. I had set up a password (which I re-entered after the reset), but when I turn the Vox on, it doesn't prompt for a password any more. Any else using this feature? Is it working for you? Not a big deal, of course. If you want to try it, go into "Location and security settings", then select "Set password".

Also, I still haven't managed to "side-load" some apps that I had previously installed, which were lost because of the factory reset. I copied them over from my desktop computer, but the Vox doesn't seem to find the APK files (and yes, I do have "Unknown sources" selected). Anyone else having a problem installing other apps? I was able to install Overdrive by downloading it directly from their web site, but not Aldiko, Astro file manager, etc.
davidkettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #100
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
it has been suggested that the first app to install would be Dropbox and that a copy of all sideloaded apps be kept in a dropbox folder for easy install later. Someone also suggested getting the dropbox apk with their pc and then emailing it to themselves to be opened in the email on the Vox...
Both are excellent ideas and appear to work.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #101
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
it has been suggested that the first app to install would be Dropbox and that a copy of all sideloaded apps be kept in a dropbox folder for easy install later. Someone also suggested getting the dropbox apk with their pc and then emailing it to themselves to be opened in the email on the Vox...
Both are excellent ideas and appear to work.
Yes or install a file manager first and copy your apks over using USB.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #102
solwisesteve
Enthusiast

I use dropbox. To start off I use browser to get to the drop box site and login. Then load apps directly from the remote/server drop box. To rule out the chance of 'external apps' causing SOD I tried without actually installing the dropbox app and also with installing dropbox. No difference - still SOD :-(

Astro filemanager seems to be very good. Again, to rule that out I haven't got astro installed at the moment. Also, tbh, because I think my vox will be going back as faulty later this week, I can't be bothered to waste time reinstalling all my apps again.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #103
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
Also, tbh, because I think my vox will be going back as faulty later this week, I can't be bothered to waste time reinstalling all my apps again.
Are you returning it because of SOD? If so, I hope you will not be exchanging it for another vox in the hope it does not have the same issue as this is a widespread problem.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #104
solwisesteve
Enthusiast

Well I went through 4 of my last ereader until I got one that worked! ;-) tbh what I'd like to see is if I start from scratch with a new unit, what has to happen for SOD to rear it's head.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:08 PM   #105
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
What you want to do is to set your Wifi to never go to sleep. This has solved the sleep-of-death problem for almost everyone (though it does give you a higher battery drain when the Vox is sleeping - but if you plan to turn it off and on it shouldn't be a problem).

You can do this by going into your Wifi Settings: Settings --> Wireless & networks --> Wi-Fi Settings --> Once here, hit
the settings button (the four lines) again on the bottom menu -->
Advanced --> Wi-Fi Sleep Policy - Set your Wi-Fi Sleep Policy to Never and your SOD is cured.
Funny - my SOD was cured from the update. I have mine sleep at 10 min intervals PLUS I've forced a sleep on it a few times and it's woken up fine every time. That's not to say this good luck will continue forever...I have a feeling this may be a temporary celebration...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote