Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #91
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I like moon + and UB reader.
These are showing as incompatible at Amazon's app store.

ETA: Aldiko, paid version, not free version, seems to be one of the few that shows as compatible.

ETA again: I'm really annoyed; before ordering I had checked various Web pages that listed epub reader apps to use with the Fire tablet. Now that my device is showing at Amazon, all the epub reader apps are turning up as incompatible.

Last edited by Catlady; 05-02-2016 at 11:03 PM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:28 PM   #92
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post

ETA: Aldiko, paid version, not free version, seems to be one of the few that shows as compatible.

ETA again: I'm really annoyed; before ordering I had checked various Web pages that listed epub reader apps to use with the Fire tablet. Now that my device is showing at Amazon, all the epub reader apps are turning up as incompatible.
If you have an Android device you can backup the apps you want using ES file Explorer and then sideload to the Kindle. I backed up on my Samsung tablet and added the apks to Dropbox and then just tap on the apk in dropbox and it will install. I think I remember having to download Dropbox from their site because Amazon app store didn't allow that either.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2016, 11:40 PM   #93
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
If you have an Android device you can backup the apps you want using ES file Explorer and then sideload to the Kindle. I backed up on my Samsung tablet and added the apks to Dropbox and then just tap on the apk in dropbox and it will install. I think I remember having to download Dropbox from their site because Amazon app store didn't allow that either.
I have no clue. All I've ever done is use the Google store to download apps to my phone. I've never used Dropbox.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:59 PM   #94
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:

Hmmmm. Let me think.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:31 AM   #95
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

All reader apps in the Amazon appstore (except library apps like OverDrive) are marked incompatible by Amazon for all Fire's. They want you to read Kindle books on Fire's and make you jump through a few hoops to use other readers.

Other apps must be sideloaded. If you turn on Apps from Unknown Sources on your Fire (settings--->Applications) you'll then be able to sideload Android apps.

For free apps you can copy the URL of the app on play.google.com and paste it in at an APK download site (an APK is kind of like an exe in Windows) such as https://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/ and download the app that way, once downloaded tap to launch and install the app.

For paid apps it's a little trickier. What I've done for my paid versions of Moon+ Pro and Mantano is load them on one of my Android devices and then use Astro file explorer to do a backup of the app. I then install this backed-up APK on my Fire which is signed into the same account as the app was bought with (so authentication works).

Quote:
I think I remember having to download Dropbox from their site because Amazon app store didn't allow that either.
Dropbox is in the Amazon store and works with Fires.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-03-2016 at 12:34 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2016, 12:53 AM   #96
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

I am thinking that I'm just going to return it and get an Android tablet. I did not expect to have to jump through hoops to use it as an e-reader for epubs. I've tried what seems to be the one free epub app that Amazon lists as compatible--eLibrary Manager Basic--and while it did indeed open epub files, for the two books I tested, for one it would not increase the tiny font size, and for another the same setting gave me a too-large font. Plus it took forever to turn a damn page.

I'm extremely annoyed with the device and with myself.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:54 AM   #97
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Other apps must be sideloaded. If you turn on Apps from Unknown Sources on your Fire (settings--->Applications) you'll then be able to sideload Android apps.

For free apps you can copy the URL of the app on play.google.com and paste it in at an APK download site (an APK is kind of like an exe in Windows) such as https://apps.evozi.com/apk-downloader/ and download the app that way, once downloaded tap to launch and install the app.

For paid apps it's a little trickier. What I've done for my paid versions of Moon+ Pro and Mantano is load them on one of my Android devices and then use Astro file explorer to do a backup of the app. I then install this backed-up APK on my Fire which is signed into the same account as the app was bought with (so authentication works).

Dropbox is in the Amazon store and works with Fires.
Thank you! It turns out that the Apps from Unknown Sources is under Settings-->Security, and I discovered that I couldn't download to the SD card while the Fire was connected to my PC, but I finally got two epub readers installed. The free Moon Reader didn't work for me--I couldn't figure out how to adjust anything--so I quickly went to the free Aldiko, which seems OK. I may try a few more now that I know how to do it, thanks to you.

Maybe now I've calmed down I'll keep the damn thing!
Old 05-03-2016, 02:41 AM   #98
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Maybe now I've calmed down I'll keep the damn thing!
LOL. I know I probably won't buy another Fire tablet.

I have no problem side loading stuff, but it gets old after a while and there are a few rare apps that just won't work.

Sorry for the wrong directions to Apps from Unknown sources. I looked at my older 8.9" Fire (runs an older OS) and assumed it would be the same. I do have one of the new 7" Fires, but don't use it a lot because even turned all the way down I often find the backlight too bright and I don't like the low resolution screen much either. Got it as a gift though so it's hard to complain too much.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #99
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I have no clue. All I've ever done is use the Google store to download apps to my phone. I've never used Dropbox.
You can install Google Play without rooting http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3216122
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #100
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I've come over to the Dark Side and got one of these when they went on sale for $40. Now I don't really know what to do with it!
I got my son one of these, along with two 64GB mSD cards, to use for music and videos when he travels (trips, camping, vacation, etc). That's pretty much the only time he'll use it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #101
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
LOL. I know I probably won't buy another Fire tablet.

I have no problem side loading stuff, but it gets old after a while and there are a few rare apps that just won't work.
I'll probably be quite content with the Amazon app store after this; they do offer the paid version of the Aldiko app and I'll most likely buy it from them now that I've been able to try out the free version. I may sideload a couple more e-reader apps before I decide.

Quote:
Sorry for the wrong directions to Apps from Unknown sources. I looked at my older 8.9" Fire (runs an older OS) and assumed it would be the same. I do have one of the new 7" Fires, but don't use it a lot because even turned all the way down I often find the backlight too bright and I don't like the low resolution screen much either. Got it as a gift though so it's hard to complain too much.
One of the things that had me so frustrated with the device yesterday was that every time I Googled to find out how to do something, I came upon directions that didn't match what I was seeing because they were talking about different/older models and not differentiating. Even at Amazon, some instructions were wonky. Though I did find the Unknown Sources option in Amazon's instructions once I knew there was such a thing to look for!

The screen seems OK for me to use for reading. Truthfully, these days my preferred method of "reading" is audiobooks anyway. But I did want this tablet to replace my temperamental old e-reader, especially for the touch screen, so an epub reader was essential.

Thanks again!
Old 05-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #102
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You can install Google Play without rooting http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3216122
Thanks. I think I'm OK for now but will keep this in mind for future reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I got my son one of these, along with two 64GB mSD cards, to use for music and videos when he travels (trips, camping, vacation, etc). That's pretty much the only time he'll use it.
I'm probably going to use it very little after an initial period of fiddling with it. For the few games I play, I like my phone since it's easier to hold. For music, I use my Clip Zip. I don't have long travel times to watch videos. The tablet seems an adequate size for Web browsing, so I may use it for that. And occasional reading.

I see that now I can borrow a book a month from the Kindle Lending Library. Do you know if that will give me the Whispersync price to buy the corresponding Audible book?
Old 05-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #103
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I see that now I can borrow a book a month from the Kindle Lending Library. Do you know if that will give me the Whispersync price to buy the corresponding Audible book?
It's a no go. These books aren't eligible for Whispersync pricing.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #104
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
It's a no go. These books aren't eligible for Whispersync pricing.
Yes, that was a change they made last year. I was not happy.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #105
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Oh pooh. I was hoping that would be a nice little perk. Did they make the same change with KU books? I've still been able to get Whispersync pricing with library Overdrive books.