Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What browser are you using?
Firefox 3 37 43.53%
Firefox 2 33 38.82%
Internet Explorer 7 16 18.82%
Opera 6 7.06%
Safari 4 4.71%
Netscape 0 0%
Older Internet Explorer 5 5.88%
Browser on Mobile Device (Safari, Pocket IE, Opera, Minimo, etc) 5 5.88%
Some other Browser who's Name I Can't spell 1 1.18%
None of the above (And then I'm really curious how you are answering this poll) 2 2.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #91
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I went to FF3 last week. I use very few extensions on my "work" machines, because I'm testing cross-browser compatibility and most of my users don't have extensions, so I need to see what they see. (Yes, I know most extensions shouldn't affect the CSS, but sometimes I really need to see what they see-- no extra features.)
One approach to this issue is custom profiles. When you install FF, the program itself goes in \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox. The profile it uses goes in \Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\<profile name>

The program files location stores FF itself, but everything else, like your bookmarks and any extensions you use are stored in the profile. When you create a profile, you can choose the name it will have, and you can choose where it is located.

I like to have all of the Mozilla stuff in one place. So under \Program Files\, I have a Mozilla.org directory, and under that, directories for various programs, like Firefox 2, Firefox 3, Thunderbird, and Sunbird. The rest of the Mozilla stuff lives in a custom location. I created a \Mozilla directory, with directories under that to hold install files, extensions, themes, and profiles. When I create a new profile, it gets placed in that tree, as in

\Mozilla\Profiles\Firefox\3.0\Development

which is the profile directory for the Development profile. That version of Firefox is configured for web and extension development chores, with extensions selected for the purpose.

If you start FF as "firefox.exe -p", you start in the Profile Manager, which will let you chose an existing profile, create a new one, or delete one. If you start ff as 'firefox.exe -p "profile name"', FF will start using the specified profile. The shortcut to FF on my desktop has a Target: line of
"D:\Program Files\Mozilla.org\Firefox 3\firefox.exe" -p "Dennis McCunney", which is my standard setup. To use an altternate profile I use the profile manager or create another shortcut specifying the desired profile name in the Target: line.

If you use the custom profile approach, you can keep a plain vanilla version of FF for testing what your students see, while your own version can be decked out as you please. The only limitation at the moment is that you can only use one at a time.

FF3 did break a feature I used. I have Firefox, Flock (based on Firefox code), Netscape, and the Mozilla Suite installed. I wanted to have them all use the same bookmarks file, so changes I made in one browser would be reflected in the others. In FF2, that was simple. FF and other Mozilla products stored bookmarks in a bookmarks.html file. The default location was in the profile directory, and a line in the prefs.js file where Firefox settings are kept pointed to it.

The prefs.js file is maintained by the browser, and really shouldn't be edited by hand. The solution is a user.js file. If a user.js file exists in the profile directory, FF will read it on startup, and anything in it will override what is in prefs.js. So I created a two line user.js file:
Code:
// Specify which bookmarks file to use: 
user_pref("browser.bookmarks.file", "D:\\Mozilla\\Bookmarks\\Dennis McCunney\\bookmarks.html");
and placed a copy in each profile directory I created. All of the Mozilla browsers read it, used the bookmark file it pointed to, and I was happy.

FF3 has shifted to an sqlite database as the bookmarks file, and the user.js trick doesn't work. The Mozilla developers have called this a WONTFIX, citing potential problems if more than one browser is accessing the file at the same time. In practice I didn't do that, so it wouldn't be a concern for me, but...

The solution for that one required going outside of Firefox.

Under Unix\Linux, and Windows 2K/XP/Vista using NTFS, the concept of file links are supported. Links let you have multiple directory entries, all pointing at the same physical file. Under older versions of Windows using FAT32, cross-linked file were a problem CHKDSK would fix for you. Under NTFS, they can be a feature.

I imported my existing FF bookmarks.html file to create the sqlite file FF3 uses. I use a freeware Windows link utility to create links to it in new profiles I create, and all FF3 instances use the same file. It's not perfect, as I'll have to export to HTML periodically to generate the master bookmarks file for the older browsers, but it works.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #92
BoyWonder
BoyWonder began at the beginning.

Device: abobe reader
must have firesomething!

hi,can someone tell me how i download the firesomething xpi file so i can get firesomething to work with firefox 3?i wouldn't have upgraded to 3 if i knew i wouldn't be able to use firesomething.if i am unable to install firesomething,is there a way to go back to firefox 2?thanks in advance.
BoyWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #93
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder View Post
hi,can someone tell me how i download the firesomething xpi file so i can get firesomething to work with firefox 3?i wouldn't have upgraded to 3 if i knew i wouldn't be able to use firesomething.if i am unable to install firesomething,is there a way to go back to firefox 2?thanks in advance.
i feel your pain (as you probably can guess from my increasingly manic requests for help re-installing firesomething myself). i wonder if they guy who made it realizes how many people's favorite extension it is.

i was able to install it following DMcCunney's instructions, but i had to use internet explorer to download the file first, since in firefox it gave me the "for older versions" message and the download link was greyed out. that should work for you too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #94
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Zelda, I didn't do anything special, Firesomething just worked although now I'm wondering how. At first I looked to make sure that I hadn't slipped back a version and somehow gotten a copy of FF2 running in place of FF3.
that's bizarre... i wonder why that happened.
Quote:
Of well, Thunderparrot here says it is not FF2 and one should never argue with a Thunderparrot.
words to live by.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #95
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder View Post
No need to go back to FF 2, though that can be done.

Just grab it from the author's site, instead of the Mozilla Add-ons page. The home page for the extension is here: http://www.cosmicat.com/extensions/firesomething/

Then follow these instructions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=70
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 06-28-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Advert
Old 06-29-2008, 12:56 AM   #96
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
One approach to this issue is custom profiles.
I used to use custom profiles with earlier versions when several of us were using the same machine. I haven't used them in a while, but I suppose I could set them up for this purpose. I won't need collections of bookmarks to be shared between profiles, fortunately. The funny thing is, I'd think using a database would handle potential collisions better than a flat file.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:31 AM   #97
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I used to use custom profiles with earlier versions when several of us were using the same machine. I haven't used them in a while, but I suppose I could set them up for this purpose.
I find them extremely handy, and one of the big features of Firefox. I can do things like have a plain vanilla install copy I can use as a reference.

It's the sort of thing tailor-made for what you do, when you need to see things like your students will, but will still like to customize the version you use.

Quote:
I won't need collections of bookmarks to be shared between profiles, fortunately. The funny thing is, I'd think using a database would handle potential collisions better than a flat file.
Some of the folks complaining think so too, and believe sqlite databases have "atomic" commits, so multiple browsers could theoretically access the same bookmarks file simultaneously.

I have a fair work around here. I use a freeware tool to create hard links to the places.sqlite file in each profile, which takes care of FF3 instances. I still have FF2, Mozilla Suite, Netscape and Flock installed, and those use the bookmarks.html file. To handle those, I went into about:config and toggled the preference browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML to True. The location where Firefox will put the bookmarks.html file is controlled by the user.js file I mentioned in my earlier post.

So every time I exit Firefox, it exports the places.sqlite file to the desired bookmarks.html file. Older browsers that use bookmarks.html are pointed at that file by the user.js file, and they all see the latest and greatest version.

Unfortunately. it's one way. If I make changes in one of the older browsers, they won't be propagated to places.sqlite, and will be overwritten by the backup the next time I use FF3. That's not a deal-breaker, because I don't use them that often, and if I see a site I want to bookmark while using one, I drag the URL to my desktop, then import it to FF3 the next time I run it.
______
Dennis
Old 06-29-2008, 04:04 AM   #98
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
To handle those, I went into about:config and toggled the preference browser.bookmarks.autoExportHTML to True.
(...)
So every time I exit Firefox, it exports the places.sqlite file to the desired bookmarks.html file.
perfect ! you've answered my question before i even asked it. i like having the bookmarks in an html file so i can keep a copy on my usb key drive and carry it around with me (i know, i should just put everything on del.ici.ous or something... i will someday). i was worried i wouldn't be able to anymore but luckily it's not a problem. thanks for all the great info Dennis !

funny side note, this is the first time i've gone to about:config since installing ff3, and i got an amusing warning message (see screen cap) : it says,
Quote:
warning, danger ! Modifying these advanced preferences can cause problems with stability, security and performances of this application. Don't continue unless you know what you're doing.
the button to continue says "i'll be careful, promise !" heh heh... i love firefox.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aboutconfigdanger.png
Views:	291
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	13926  
Old 06-29-2008, 04:21 AM   #99
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Here is a video that explains why Firefox 3 is awesome and how to make it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g30Xyh6Wqc&feature=user
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:19 AM   #100
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
perfect ! you've answered my question before i even asked it. i like having the bookmarks in an html file so i can keep a copy on my usb key drive and carry it around with me (i know, i should just put everything on del.ici.ous or something... i will someday)....
'Scuse me if I missed something you said previously, but, Queen Zee, is there a reason you do not use Foxmarks? Then you'd have your bookmarks available wherever you are, just by logging on to the Foxmarks website.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:40 AM   #101
zelda_pinwheel

thanks for the link, Madame B ! some excellent info in that video.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:41 AM   #102
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
'Scuse me if I missed something you said previously, but, Queen Zee, is there a reason you do not use Foxmarks? Then you'd have your bookmarks available wherever you are, just by logging on to the Foxmarks website.

Cheers,
Marc
a reason... hmmmm... lack of organisation ? haven't gotten to it (despite my best intentions) ? haven't yet figured out which one is best between del.ici.ous / magnolia / whatever ?

however since you mention foxmarks i'll take a look at it today.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #103
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
perfect ! you've answered my question before i even asked it. i like having the bookmarks in an html file so i can keep a copy on my usb key drive and carry it around with me (i know, i should just put everything on del.ici.ous or something... i will someday). i was worried i wouldn't be able to anymore but luckily it's not a problem. thanks for all the great info Dennis !
You can do that by clicking Bookmarks/Organize Bookmarks,Import and Backup, and select Export to HTML.

My technique simply does it automatically every time I close FF.

Quote:
funny side note, this is the first time i've gone to about:config since installing ff3, and i got an amusing warning message (see screen cap) : it says,
the button to continue says "i'll be careful, promise !" heh heh... i love firefox.
"With great power comes great responsibility"
______
Dennis
Old 06-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #104
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Hmm, If you don't want to use forxmarks, or want it to sync between browsers, check out Bookmark Sync from www.sync2it.com

It allows sync between different browsers such as IE, Firefox, Opera, safari, Etc.
The free version is decent, and if you need more features such as sync between more then 3 computers, SSL, etc you can upgrade to the paid version for about $20.

And like foxmarks, you can access the bookmarks from any web browser, so quiet handy.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:44 AM   #105
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Hi people

I just made the switch to Firefox 3. Up till now I used Opera. Been using Opera since version 5, I think, when it still cost money. The last version though, is just slow and hang for no apparent reason, so I made the switch.
There are two things that I sorely miss from Opera. One, is the ability to navigate by mouse gestures, and the other is the "fit to width" button. Because my eyesight is poor I view websites at least 200% magnified, so a "fit to width" is really a must for me. Do you know any addons for Firefox 3 that can manage that?

Dave
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extensions, firefox, firesomething, tabs