Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 10:01 AM   #91
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaTakeshi View Post
that was my limit, couldn't hold a laugh IRL, my colleagues even gave me a strange look and all

Xanthe come out of the closet, come on

That remind me of a South Park episode, too bad can't remember it's name... well wait a bit...

... ah here it is:

Trapped in the Closet

Too bad couldn't find a more complete version

Thank God I'm the first one in the office today. I was literally crying. That was effing hilarious.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #92
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Thank God I'm the first one in the office today. I was literally crying. That was effing hilarious.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #93
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Nah. Not gonna happen.

I truly just don't get the warm-and-fuzzies over dragons. I read the blurbs about the Novik books, and they look interesting but then I think, "Dragons? Nah." Just like there are no books of the Pern series around here; those dragons on the covers ensure that.

I'm a Katie MacAlister fan, always read her books, but even she couldn't entice me with her Silver Dragons and Light Dragons series.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 AM   #94
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Nah. Not gonna happen.

I truly just don't get the warm-and-fuzzies over dragons. I read the blurbs about the Novik books, and they look interesting but then I think, "Dragons? Nah." Just like there are no books of the Pern series around here; those dragons on the covers ensure that.

I'm a Katie MacAlister fan, always read her books, but even she couldn't entice me with her Silver Dragons and Light Dragons series.
because of the Dragons in that series, she is able to write an incredibly unique alternate history. seriously. and no fuzzies
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #95
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sign in front of my house:
What do you think
Love that sign!!!
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #96
Vivian
Connoisseur
Vivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-booksVivian has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm OK with the threat of dragons, but I don't actually want to "see" them or have them be characters (or god forbid have them talk) in the books I read.

There is no refreshing, new twist that an author can come up with for dragons... it's been done.

I have a terrible case of elfinorcaphobia, as well.
Excellent word coining!
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #97
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Could not resist bringing this to everyone's attention in this thread.

Quote:
Werewolves And Zombies: Old Fantasies, New Fiction

Take a book, put a vampire in it, and it sells.

Or a werewolf. Or a zombie. They are all on the march. . . .

Or a dragon?

The broadcast will available for download later today.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #98
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
http://www.dragoncon.org/

DragonCon, anyone?
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #99
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
If there's a dragon on the cover or the word 'dragon' in the title, then that book's not getting purchased by me. I haven't thrown a book at the wall if a dragon pops up in the storyline but if a dragon is a primary character then I'm not interested.

I don't hate dragons per se, it's just that I fail to see what is so fascinating about them. To me, it just seems to be an adult transference to dragons of the girlish love-of-horses (I managed to miss that one, too ).
Girls & Horses = Strength & Power in an nonthreatening/gentle form. My husband believes it also symbolizes trust & protection. As for women & horses, well have you ever ridden one? Can you imagine a woman riding a dragon?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #100
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Perhaps I should also mention Sarah Hoyt's "Magical British Empire" series and also her contemporary fantasy novels, starting with Draw One in the Dark.

All well worth a read, IMO.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #101
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Could not resist bringing this to everyone's attention in this thread.

Or a dragon?

The broadcast will available for download later today.
This outbreak of literary undead and other ghoulish creatures should be all
the more reason to enlist some noble Dragon intervention. Surely there
must be some bard or chronicler of Dragonkind who can rid our bookshelves
of these pesky undead? Especial attention should be given to eradicating
those slick over muscled creatures that have invaded the grocery checkout
lines with their tales of seduction of our innocent woman folk. (They
always go for the bad boys don't they?)

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #102
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Girls & Horses = Strength & Power in an nonthreatening/gentle form. My husband believes it also symbolizes trust & protection. As for women & horses, well have you ever ridden one? Can you imagine a woman riding a dragon?
I've ridden a horse; it wasn't a bonding experience nor was it a traumatic one. Since I can't seriously imagine anyone riding a dragon, the gender of the rider is immaterial.

That whole horse-mania thing to me seems to me to be more of an escape/avoidance mechanism rather than something benign.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #103
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I've ridden a horse; it wasn't a bonding experience nor was it a traumatic one. Since I can't seriously imagine anyone riding a dragon, the gender of the rider is immaterial.

That whole horse-mania thing to me seems to me to be more of an escape/avoidance mechanism rather than something benign.
The riding thing was tongue-in-cheek, Xanthe. However, the power, strength, protective thing is a little more "realistic" for lack of a better word. I can also see escapism, freedom, abandon, self empowerment, etc.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:47 AM   #104
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Heh. While we're supporting underrepresented dragons, I haven't seen anyone mention Jane Yolen's pit dragons yet. Loved loved loved Heart's Blood as a kid. Still loved it the last time I read it.
I actually was going to mention those, but then I blinked or something and the thought ran away. Yes, to Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon series!
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #105
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
For anyone who wants more tips about Dragon books, have a look at this thread:
Dragon books need suggestions: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72324
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote