Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-12-2021, 01:05 PM   #91
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
The Forma was fine on release, the issue was the light band which isn’t a fixable defect as far as we ever found out. Though there was a variation in how noticeable it was to people and some variation between units possibly.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 03:26 PM   #92
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninmedia View Post
How is the standard QC with Kobo? Do they typically run into issues with their first productions that require later revisions of changes? Wonder if a pre-order is worthwhile because the Sage ticks all my boxes for a new ereader.
I remember that there were issues when the Aura One first came out, with some people complaining of uneven screen lighting and color blotches. I bought my Aura One a few months later, in January if I recall correctly, and got a very nice screen indeed and absolutely lovely comfort pro light color.

With the Forma, people had some issues with a noticeable "bar" in the screen lighting on the button side when it first came out, but I just bought a Forma last month and again, a very nice screen, even better than my Aura One. Not quite as good for even lighting as my Kindle Oasis 2 though.

Basically, with a pre-order, you take your chances. However, as long as you can easily return the device if it doesn't suit, or if there are significant problems, I don't see any reason you shouldn't treat yourself!

If you buy direct from Kobo, it can be a bit of a pain dealing with a return/exchange, however. Some years ago, when I bought my Kobo Aura HD, I got a device with significant lighting flickering and getting a replacement took a considerable amount of time. However, I did end up with a working device that gave no problems and it's still working now.

It was enough of an annoyance dealing with Kobo directly that I bought subsequent Kobos elsewhere. The Aura One came from Chapters/Indigo in Canada and the Forma was purchased from Amazon. YMMV.

Last edited by graycyn; 10-12-2021 at 03:34 PM.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2021, 09:05 AM   #93
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Two years ago I was drooling for a Kobo Forma, went in to actually physically hold one before buying and walked out the store with Kindle Oasis 2019. Total game changer holding them. Before going into the store I thought the Oasis was a really stupid shape with this super thick side. I was so wrong the Kobo felt cheap, clunky and to my shock thicker than the strip on the Oasis. It would need a real change to lure me over. I just do not see that in the new offerings.
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Yes. Yes they do.

I do love my Kobos. But there have been grumbles on the early release devices for the Clara, Libra and Forma (I didn't pay attention to the Elipsa as I have zero interest in that device).
My Aura H20 was a release version and it's going on 7 years soon. So no, they do not always.

Amazon had issues with their hardware. The Paperwhite was only truly sorted on the third version (PW3).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:35 AM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
Two years ago I was drooling for a Kobo Forma, went in to actually physically hold one before buying and walked out the store with Kindle Oasis 2019. Total game changer holding them. Before going into the store I thought the Oasis was a really stupid shape with this super thick side. I was so wrong the Kobo felt cheap, clunky and to my shock thicker than the strip on the Oasis. It would need a real change to lure me over. I just do not see that in the new offerings.
But comparing firmware, Kindle firmware feels cheap and clunky.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2021, 09:44 AM   #96
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Get over it. Kobo OS suits you but it's not meant for everybody. The Kindle is (a lot) faster, more stable and does a great job.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #97
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What annoys me about modern Kindles is they deliberately block access to reading status data that the older ones allowed. Every new model adds another brick to their wall.

OTOH Why do Kobo w/buttons cost so much more? (my Aura2 was well under $100. every offering with, seems to push $200 )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #98
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
No, it doesn't. It just has fewer options and is more closed. But cheap and clunky? Nope. My Oasis is much faster than my Kobo. And it has global search.

That said, I don't feel that my Kobo is cheap and clunky either, hardware or software-wise.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #99
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
My Aura H20 was a release version and it's going on 7 years soon. So no, they do not always.
Which is why I didn't mention the Aura H2O and didn't use the word 'always'.

But don't pretend there have not been issues on the early batches of several Kobo models: Aura ONE, Forma*, Libra, Clara.

Aside from the Forma, the issues seem to have been fixed by Kobo later in their production, which is exactly what the person was asking.

*On the Forma, you can say that dark bar is a design defect rather than quality control. Whatever you want to call it, it was a surprise to many who ordered a brand new Forma, so I'm still counting it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #100
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
OTOH Why do Kobo w/buttons cost so much more? (my Aura2 was well under $100. every offering with, seems to push $200 )
Why is a basic Kindle $90 and an Oasis $280?

The Aura 2 was the Kobo cheapie. The difference between it and a Libra is more than just buttons.
Old 10-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #101
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Which is why I didn't mention the Aura H2O and didn't use the word 'always'.

But don't pretend there have not been issues on the early batches of several Kobo models: Aura ONE, Forma*, Libra, Clara.

Aside from the Forma, the issues seem to have been fixed by Kobo later in their production, which is exactly what the person was asking.

*On the Forma, you can say that dark bar is a design defect rather than quality control. Whatever you want to call it, it was a surprise to many who ordered a brand new Forma, so I'm still counting it.
EXCEPT, my recently purchased Forma (mid-September) does NOT have a dark bar. I saw the pictures back when the Forma was released and I'd have to say that yes, the Forma issue DID get fixed. Either that or I got rather exceptionally lucky.

The surprise for me on arrival of the Forma was NOT to see any dark bar after all the many comments about it here on MR!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #102
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
The surprise for me on arrival of the Forma was NOT to see any dark bar after all the many comments about it here on MR!
So either you got extremely lucky, or the Forma can be added to the list of Kobo devices that had issues when initially released.

At any rate, if you are new to Kobo and your question is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninmedia View Post
How is the standard QC with Kobo? Do they typically run into issues with their first productions that require later revisions of changes?
I think a prudent answer would be: don't preorder. Wait for it to be released and see what is said.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:01 PM   #103
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:

I think a prudent answer would be: don't preorder. Wait for it to be released and see what is said.

I've always thought this was axiomatic - never buy version 1.0 of anything
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #104
roninmedia
Enthusiast
roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roninmedia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
True. The supply chain for eReaders can't become as bad as for GPUs, can it.
roninmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 12:57 PM   #105
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Eh. I've bought versions 1.0 (right upon release) of all 3 Kindle Oases (2016, 2017, 2019), the latest Nook and the Kobo Libra 1. No issues with any of them, except for slightly uneven frontlights on some.

OTOH, I bought my Voyage 1,5 years after release and the frontlight was still uneven. (no other issues, though).

So IMNSHO it's just pure luck, no matter when you buy.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote