Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-03-2020, 06:35 AM   #1006
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Port to python3

Is anyone working on porting this plugin to python 3? If not then I will see what I can do.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:09 AM   #1007
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Is anyone working on porting this plugin to python 3? If not then I will see what I can do.
Certainly, not me. Long time no speak, hope you're keeping well.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2020, 08:23 AM   #1008
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It's not one of the plugins I use much, so I haven't touched it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:00 PM   #1009
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quality Check py2 and py3 beta

The attached zip file runs on both current py2 and py3 beta releases. It seems to work, but I confess that I seldom use it so I might have missed regressions. I would appreciate it if people who use lots of features of this plugin give it a try. It would be prudent to save a copy your-config-dir/plugins/Quality Check.zip in case you want to revert back.

Please note that I am not interested in modifying what the plugin does, adding new features, or whatnot.

@jackie_w: we are surviving the lockdown. No problem in getting food, medications, or "stuff" delivered. Our flat building has a large roof terrace so we can loaf around outside when the weather cooperates, which it certainly has until today. I hope that you are healthy and not going stir-crazy.

Last edited by chaley; 08-17-2020 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Remove plugin zip
Old 07-10-2020, 07:26 AM   #1010
vjjustin
Enthusiast
vjjustin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Alphabetic sorting author names of books with multiple authors

I have few books with multiple authors. At times the names are in different order (for ex: alpha baker & beta baker in one book and beta baker & alpha baker in another.) I don't find any options to check and correct these using quality check plugin. Am I missing something? Is there any way to alphabetically sort multiple authors of a single book?

Also, I dont see a duplicate check for author names. Is this available?
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #1011
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
I have few books with multiple authors. At times the names are in different order (for ex: alpha baker & beta baker in one book and beta baker & alpha baker in another.) I don't find any options to check and correct these using quality check plugin. Am I missing something? Is there any way to alphabetically sort multiple authors of a single book?

Try the Find Duplicates PI
Normally duplicate Authors are spelling variations BUT, sometimes they are not the same Author. CHECK the actual book and/or a data site like Fantastic Fiction.

In the Tag browser: right-click: Manage Authors
Yyou can make corrections there
But FIRST: Normalize what you have: (case, Initials) using first the check with Check Author toosl in the QC PI, then the appropriate Fix in the QC PI
(all my initials have dots and spaces YMMV)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 02:35 AM   #1012
vjjustin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Try the Find Duplicates PI
Oh, it was find duplicates not QC. Thanks for that.

But I still don't see any option to alphabetically sort multiple authors of a single book. There can be numerous authors especially for antholgies etc and these authors can be in different order in different books. An author sort will not bring these books together and caliber will create multiple folders for the same set of authors.

I believe this fits right in with the objectives of QC plugin.

Last edited by vjjustin; 07-11-2020 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:13 AM   #1013
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

But I still don't see any option to alphabetically sort multiple authors of a single book.
I don't think there is anything that sorts the authors for a single book, they retain the sequence in which they are entered.

Quote:
There can be numerous authors especially for antholgies etc and these authors can be in different order in different books. An author sort will not bring these books together and caliber will create multiple folders for the same set of authors.
Assuming you mean the 'author' folders in the library, these folders are place holders to keep books with the same title apart. If a book has multiple authors, then assuming it doesn't already exist, a single 'author' folder is a created for the first author only.

Calibre is primarily a database application. The author and title folders only purpose is to provide the storage for the cover, the format files (EPUB, PDF, MOBI etc), and a file that can be used to rebuild the library database.

Quote:
I believe this fits right in with the objectives of QC plugin.
Not sure what you mean - what do you think the plugin's objective is?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #1014
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Authors, as BR said retain the order entered.

There are also many cases where the Author order is contractual
Big name Author gets their name Higher or Bigger (same as with Actors) that their co-writer. (and it may flip further into the series. The BnA may just be helping a newbie get noticed or they started, then said 'run with it Kid' )

and underneath the skirts:they are just a (sort) key numbers to the Authors table, 23,45,192. And those numbers were assigned the first time a Author name appeared in YOUR Library.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:19 PM   #1015
vjjustin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I don't think there is anything that sorts the authors for a single book, they retain the sequence in which they are entered.
That's a disappointment! Any hope of getting it added as a feature? If not in here, in any other plugins?

Quote:
There are also many cases where the Author order is contractual
Not sure why that matters. The book title/series/author/publisher etc. are also contractual/copyrighted; we allow it to be changed.

Quote:
and underneath the skirts:they are just a (sort) key numbers to the Authors table, 23,45,192. And those numbers were assigned the first time a Author name appeared in YOUR Library.
I can guess how it works underneath. Anycase, sorting isn't that difficult a function to do. It is certainly much more efficient to do as a function than manual check/fix. Hence the disappointment.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #1016
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I can guess how it works underneath. Anycase, sorting isn't that difficult a function to do. It is certainly much more efficient to do as a function than manual check/fix. Hence the disappointment.
Check out the Version History in post #1. This plugin hasn't been under active development since 2014. The creator has moved on. Unless an interested developer decides to adopt it, don't hold your breath for new features.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:44 PM   #1017
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

If you are looking for a plugin under active development and the developer might add a tool to do what you want check the Job Spy plugin thread.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #1018
nixsee
Connoisseur
nixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notes

I batch optimized many PDFs outside of Calibre to reduce file size, and I just tried the Fix -> Check and Repair Book Sizes function and it told me that all sizes were correct, even though many are not. Any ideas?

Edit: Turns out there's a modification of the plugin here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=906

It includes a Force repair sizes option, which works.

Last edited by nixsee; 08-17-2020 at 03:53 PM.
nixsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:10 PM   #1019
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixsee View Post
I batch optimized many PDFs outside of Calibre to reduce file size, and I just tried the Fix -> Check and Repair Book Sizes function and it told me that all sizes were correct, even though many are not. Any ideas?

Edit: Turns out there's a modification of the plugin here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=906
It includes a Force repair sizes option, which works.
@nixsee - given the date of post #906 (2018-10-24) that version of QC is unlikely to be python 3 (calibre 5) compliant.

I don't use the QC PI perhaps one of the other mods and/or PI devs (e.g. chaley, who did the py3 changes) can decide if the changes in the post# 906 version should be incorporated into the official version in post #1.

@chaley - now that it's in post #1, it might be best to remove the attachment at post 1009.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:40 PM   #1020
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@chaley - now that it's in post #1, it might be best to remove the attachment at post 1009.
BR
Done.

As for incorporating the changes from post #906: I leave it to others to do that. They seem reasonable prima facie.