Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-11-2022, 09:53 PM   #916
drawson1
Connoisseur
drawson1 began at the beginning.

Device: Libra H20, Clara 2E
No luck with the latest (0.9.33) on my new Clara2E. I'm on (patched) firmware 4.34.20097 and am launching from NickelMenu

- The "hamburger" menu (top right) turns solid black when clicked. Nothing else happens - no menu appears
- The top bar (battery, backlight, etc) items don't respond
- None of the labels on the navigation bar are clickable
- Clicking on a book on the shelf doesn't open it; it brings up a menu with Remove/Rename....Select Parent. Clicking on items on that menu turns them solid, but nothing else happens.

I'm also using 0.9.33 on my Libra H20 and it's working great.

Thanks!

Dan
drawson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 04:33 AM   #917
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
The current firmware patch works fine on 4.33.19608.
You are better off on 4.34.20097 as it's more stable then 4.33.19608.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2022, 04:01 AM   #918
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
Plato 0.9.34

I've released Plato 0.9.34.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 11:35 AM   #919
drawson1
Connoisseur

@baskerville - Thanks! This is now working correctly on my Clara2E

Do I have to update "allowed kinds" in Settings.toml for the TXT files to import correctly? New text files show up if I'm in filesystem mode, but not in database mode.
Old 11-13-2022, 02:24 PM   #920
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawson1 View Post
Do I have to update "allowed kinds" in Settings.toml for the TXT files to import correctly?
Yes, but you won't be able to open text files (support is planned).
Advert
Old 11-17-2022, 08:58 AM   #921
drawson1
Connoisseur

OK, thanks .....
Old 11-17-2022, 11:08 AM   #922
quoc187
quoc187 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 11th
Hi baskerville, im looking for a way to add a new dictionary to plato from one of these types of dictionary file:
.mobi
.epub
.zip
.dsl.dz
Source here: https://github.com/catusf/tudien/releases/tag/v.2.2
quoc187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:14 AM   #923
quoc187
quoc187 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 11th
and .txt format
quoc187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:12 AM   #924
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoc187 View Post
Just download the all-stardict.zip archive and extract it in the dictionaries directory (Plato might take a long pause converting the dictionaries during startup but it'll only happens once for each StarDict dictionary).
Old 11-23-2022, 04:38 PM   #925
Tattvadarzin
Tattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneTattvadarzin makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Android Tablet
First impressions

I am just trying Plato out.

From the manual, what does "Top left/right multi-corner: go to the previous/next annotation or highlight" mean with respect to "multi-corner"?

I think Plato needs a drag position line to go to places in a book. Page numbering of my epubs is irregular; I would far rather drag a blob along a line like the font size. (By the way the line is unnecessary; who needs fine tuning of font size? A drop down menu of sizes is perfect.)

Bookmarks need improvement. I have visual problems and have difficulty seeing the little marker dot. What is wrong with the turned down corner marker? I also want to see a list of bookmarks and be able to choose one.

As a user interface I find swiping difficult as I have arthritis in my hands. I much prefer a pop up menu. For example refreshing a page by grasping the device in both hands and trying to get my thumbs in the right position is painful.

Might I suggest a pop up menu option for everything that can be done by swiping? Say double tap in the centre section.

I have found books where justify does not justify, and line gap distance does not change. They work fine in the normal reader I think.

I seem to start every book with the same margin, font etc. Is there a way of setting defaults?

I like the simplicity of Plato especially in contrast to KOReader's powerful UI. However I need a good bookmark/annotation system, a quick way of going to a rough position in a book and a UI that involves menus, simple touching or simple swiping. I loathe the complex swiping in Plato.

Perhaps you might consider a UI suited to the visually impaired and arthritic ereader users, so we can enjoy your application more.

I will carry on trying with Plato as it does seem faster, but at my age speed isn't everything :-)

Last edited by Tattvadarzin; 11-26-2022 at 06:38 AM.
Tattvadarzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 01:04 PM   #926
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokemod97 View Post
So I've twice now gotten a reset as the only option screen on libra 2 4.33 with the standalone package.
I was able to reproduce on my Glo HD by repeatedly selecting the Reboot entry in the main menu. On the third (or forth?) reboot I was met with a screen I had never seen before: an e-reader displaying a warning sign and a reboot button underneath. The only outcome it would seem is to tap the reboot button. The device then reboots and goes straight into the firmware restore procedure. I was stuck in an hilarious loop during the device setup: downloading the latest firmware would always fail. I then tried the WiFi-less option and the only thing that didn't fail was the initial attempt at downloading the latest firmware (the sign-in part would always be interrupted with a network error! By typing very fast I managed to submit the sign-in form but it led me to an access forbidden page!). I had to force-kill Kobo Desktop. After I ejected the user partition, the device rebooted and installed the latest firmware and then the WiFi based setup worked…
Old 11-27-2022, 03:11 PM   #927
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattvadarzin View Post
From the manual, what does "Top left/right multi-corner: go to the previous/next annotation or highlight" mean with respect to "multi-corner"?
Since you abhor complex swipe sequences, I'm not sure you'll want to know the answer.

Quote:
I think Plato needs a drag position line to go to places in a book. Page numbering of my epubs is irregular; I would far rather drag a blob along a line like the font size.
Agreed.

Quote:
Bookmarks need improvement. I have visual problems and have difficulty seeing the little marker dot. What is wrong with the turned down corner marker?
Nothing. I'll try to fix that.

Quote:
I also want to see a list of bookmarks and be able to choose one.
There should be a Bookmarks entry in the book menu (tap the book's title in the top bar).

Quote:
As a user interface I find swiping difficult as I have arthritis in my hands. I much prefer a pop up menu. For example refreshing a page by grasping the device in both hands and trying to get my thumbs in the right position is painful.

Might I suggest a pop up menu option for everything that can be done by swiping? Say double tap in the centre section.
It could be a good idea.

Quote:
I have found books where justify does not justify, and line gap distance does not change. They work fine in the normal reader I think.
I think the normal reader uses a heuristic to find the default text style, and then injects some rules to override it.

Quote:
I seem to start every book with the same margin, font etc. Is there a way of setting defaults?
Yes, in the reader section of Settings.toml.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:31 PM   #928
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I was able to reproduce on my Glo HD by repeatedly selecting the Reboot entry in the main menu. On the third (or forth?) reboot I was met with a screen I had never seen before: an e-reader displaying a warning sign and a reboot button underneath. The only outcome it would seem is to tap the reboot button. The device then reboots and goes straight into the firmware restore procedure. I was stuck in an hilarious loop during the device setup: downloading the latest firmware would always fail. I then tried the WiFi-less option and the only thing that didn't fail was the initial attempt at downloading the latest firmware (the sign-in part would always be interrupted with a network error! By typing very fast I managed to submit the sign-in form but it led me to an access forbidden page!). I had to force-kill Kobo Desktop. After I ejected the user partition, the device rebooted and installed the latest firmware and then the WiFi based setup worked…
A repeated reboot without Nickel successfully loading is one way of triggering a factory reset on a Kobo. See the Kobo Touch 2.0 factory reset for Kobo's description.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 04:17 PM   #929
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A repeated reboot without Nickel successfully loading is one way of triggering a factory reset on a Kobo.
Thanks, I'm aware of that.

I'm describing a specific scenario which involves a modified /etc/init.d/rcS and a non-cancellable firmware restore screen.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:43 PM   #930
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A repeated reboot without Nickel successfully loading is one way of triggering a factory reset on a Kobo. See the Kobo Touch 2.0 factory reset for Kobo's description.
Quote:
Thanks, I'm aware of that.

I'm describing a specific scenario which involves a modified /etc/init.d/rcS and a non-cancellable firmware restore screen.
Once you have triggered a factory reset by multiple restarts without Nickel loading to reset the flag, it is not cancellable so that result is not unexpected. One of the several reasons that I have preferred starting alternate renderers from NickelMenu.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote