Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-22-2015, 01:30 AM   #886
kirth
kirth began at the beginning.

Device: Aura HD
Thanks tshering. Your help is really appreciated.
Indeed after a few tries a factory reset worked. Thanks God.

If you need more details about sw versions running I can uodate my post tomorrow once back home. For sure I can say I had KSM 07 update 04.

What happened could be related to not disabling the usb via ksm before safely ejecting the device from windows?
Or is this something that could tell my device is going to failure in the short term? I know it's hars to tell.
kirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:50 AM   #887
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirth View Post
Thanks tshering. Your help is really appreciated.
Indeed after a few tries a factory reset worked. Thanks God.
I am glad it worked!

Quote:
If you need more details about sw versions running I can uodate my post tomorrow once back home. For sure I can say I had KSM 07 update 04.
Thank you. I do not think that I can get something from this information. Sometimes it is hard to tell what has happened without analysing the complete sd. I guess this case will remain unsolved.

Quote:
What happened could be related to not disabling the usb via ksm before safely ejecting the device from windows?
I think the best way is: First eject safely, then disable usb, then disconnect physically.
Quote:
Or is this something that could tell my device is going to failure in the short term? I know it's hars to tell.
I do not think so. But I do not know.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2015, 03:52 AM   #888
myki
Zealot
myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kinde PW v1, Kobo H2O, Onyx Boox T68
@kirth
On my wife's kobo this kind of thing often happens, it's frozen off and nothing can wake up, neither the power button nor the reset pin hole.
The only solution is to be patient, try and retry the reset pin (during half an hour genarally), keeping the reset pin pressed for 2 or 3 seconds each time, again and again until magically it decides to power on.

@tshering and @kirth
And if your problem was the same of mine, KSM is not involved since her Kobo (H2O) is "pure"

Anyway, glad to read that everything's ok for you now
myki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:07 AM   #889
myki
Zealot
myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.myki can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

@tshering
The new name for "full update" or "partial update" should answer those 2 questions :
For full update, will KSM be kicked off, and will I be able to get it back again ? and for partial update, what will I miss in the update ?
So I think it's impossible in just one line
Maybe a kind of table with the most often cases, but I don't have any idea if it's only possible and the amount of time it could take...
Just a suggestion but I think it would be very useful and reassuring for people (like me ), to clear a little bit more those points...
Old 08-23-2015, 04:52 AM   #890
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Your answer is here.
If you have KSM07 the answer is the same but I invite you to post all your questions in the KSM07 thread
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2015, 05:48 AM   #891
myki
Zealot

Hi boriar, thanks for reply
First, I want to say that it was very interesting to read the work you did with tshering about KSM 8, you by testing, him by developping

About the update, I just wanted to say that reading
Quote:
"install partial update, will install the update with the exception of ./etc/init.d/rcS and ./usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb"
, and that
Quote:
"install update" installs anything that is in KoboRoot.tgz
is not very clear to me, as I don't know anything about rcS, usb and the content of KoboRoot.tgz, which (if I anderstand well) depends on the firmware and hacks

And the result is to say that "full update" clears KSM, "partial update" keeps KSM and that's it, but for prudent persons and for people interested in knowing what they do, it may be not enough.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:09 AM   #892
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@boriar, thank you for the link, I would not have thought of it.

@myki, thank you for proposing a new name. I am still not yet happy with it. "full update" seems to amplify further the idea suggested by "partial update", namely that the "partial update" eaves something out. But this is not necessarily the case. The real problem, I think, is with the designation "partial update". What the "partial update" does is basically a regular update, with the exception that it leaves those parts out that disable KSM, IF such parts are included in the update.

Rule of thumb:
If you install an original Kobo firmware update package, select the "partial update".
If you install advboot, select the "update", because in this case you want to disable KSM.
If you install a KoboRoot.tgz that belongs to KSM (if it is provided by me), select "update".
Other cases (known to me): It does not really matter, but select "update", because it is more efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myki View Post
... and that is not very clear to me, as I don't know anything about rcS, usb and the content of KoboRoot.tgz, which (if I anderstand well) depends on the firmware and hacks

And the result is to say that "full update" clears KSM, "partial update" keeps KSM and that's it, but for prudent persons and for people interested in knowing what they do, it may be not enough.
This is exactly the point. Everybody can provide a KoboRoot.tgz. And I cannot know about each (possibly future) KoboRoot.tgz whether it does contain rcS and so on or not Therefore, I cannot say whether installing this or that entire KoboRoot.tgz will clear KSM or not.

Last edited by tshering; 08-23-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:02 AM   #893
myki
Zealot

As I can't help you in testing and developping, let me play and help you finding a new name, just for the fun
What about "update your reader (keep KSM)"
and "Install all your KoboRoot.tgz (can loose your KSM)"

Something like that but with a good english
Old 08-23-2015, 07:11 AM   #894
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
@tshering
I have one more option because the numerous hack updates. Tell me what do you think:
Handle Kobo Update:

1. Install with checking files
2. Install without checking files
3. Delete files
4. Return
5. Return Home

The checking must do a integrity check and search for files that can interfere with KSM boot in the package.

If checking go bad, show:
"The files is corrupt. It will be deleted"

If checking go good and don't interferes with KSM boot:
"Installing update"

If checking is good and interferes with KSM boot:
"The update will revert KSM boot"

1.1. Install anyway
1.2. Install preserving KSM
1.3. Return

You can, of course, do always the file check. I think is the best solution.
With that the menu will be:

1. Install update
2. Delete files
3. Return
4. Return Home

You can also include a checking option without install (not necesary IMHO).

PS: Text for options and messages can be modified.
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #895
tshering
Wizard

@myki, @boriar

Thank you both for your valuable input. I will keep your ideas for a later point. For now, I think I will leave things as they are.
The two designations are not very speaking, this is true. However, if the user is unsure which update mode to choose she can select "info" and will get an explanation. If for some reason she can still not decide, there are several options:
  • cancel the update and postpone the decision (con: you will not be able to use nickel from this point onwards)
  • delete the update
  • select any of the two update modes. If KSM is disabled and this was not intended, one has toenable KSM again.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #896
WolfBack
Zealot
WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.WolfBack can tell if an avocado is ripe without touching it.

Device: Kobo Aura 6'', Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Glo HD
Thanks to the oldest info found here, I can make changes to the Powered Off screensaver of KSM 07.
Thanks guys!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	poweroff.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	142661  
WolfBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:59 AM   #897
bighead
bighead began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo hd
After I installed Kobo Start Menu 8, the cover sleeping function is not work!

bighead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:01 PM   #898
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead View Post
After I installed Kobo Start Menu 8, the cover sleeping function is not work!

You might have noted that KSM does not have any sleep function, therefore also no cover sleep function. Or are you saying that the cover sleep function of nickel has stopped working? Or that of koreader or coolreader (in case they have one)?
Old 11-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #899
ipse
Connoisseur
ipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than momipse loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo Aura, Arc 10HD
@tshering: I'm on KSM6 (happy...) and it looks like I won't be able to upgrade pbchess past 2015.2 as the folder structure has changed?
I saw you have a note related to the start script for CR changed in KSM7u4, but not sure if it would be enough for me to copy the launch script into KSM6.
Any suggestion (other than upgrading to KSM8 ).
ipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:15 AM   #900
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipse View Post
@tshering: I'm on KSM6 (happy...) and it looks like I won't be able to upgrade pbchess past 2015.2 as the folder structure has changed?
I saw you have a note related to the start script for CR changed in KSM7u4, but not sure if it would be enough for me to copy the launch script into KSM6.
Any suggestion (other than upgrading to KSM8 ).
Frankly speaking, I cannot exactly remember what changes were introduced in which versions of pbchess. Important for the start script is that newer versions (i think starting with 2015.5) of pbchess are using two named pipes for internal communication, whereas previous versions used only one. KSM 07 update 4, and KSM 08 support only 2015.5 plus.
You could take for instance kbmenu\onstart\start_vlasovlauncher.sh of KSM 08 and try to adapt it to KSM 06.The script might for instance rely on some global variables that do not exist in KSM 06. Since you do it for you private purpose it might be easy to replace those global variables by hard coded values, since you know on which device model the script will be running, where you usually put your vlasovsoft folder, and so on.

The most simple way however is to install KSM 08, I guess. And it comes with some additional advantages.

Last edited by tshering; 11-18-2015 at 04:18 AM.