Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

View Poll Results: Pick three options for next firmware upgrade 5&6 inch
Add CoolReader, without severe battery drain! 55 76.39%
Latest version of FB2 31 43.06%
IF possible, keep Visible Clock Set when device off 16 22.22%
LIT is still not right, can you please get LIT to work 27 37.50%
Add Dictionary Support! 32 44.44%
Other (detailed below in post). 21 29.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-13-2010, 08:06 AM   #76
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Update the linux kernel please. It may make the sdhc reader work better due to newer driver among other things.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #77
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
dictionary good, delete option better,......more sizes for Epub in ADE would also be nice
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #78
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia399 View Post
What I want most for my Mentor Lite is the ability to search for books. If you have many books on your device it is a pain to get to the one you want since you have to click thru page after page until you get to the book. It would be so much better if I could just search by title or author.
Yup. A search feature is probably my single most wanted feature, which is why I've settled on asking for file maintenance options (not just delete, but also a fully functional cut and paste), and also a "Favorite books" marking option, since I bet those are all easier to implement than a search feature. But frankly the search? Would be even better.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #79
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Update the linux kernel please. It may make the sdhc reader work better due to newer driver among other things.
Lbook is already using the new kernel, and no, it does not help. In fact, the new kernel is currently more buggy than the old kernel. In any case, IF Astak gets a firmware upgrade from Jinke it probably would be built with the new SDK as a matter of course?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:26 PM   #80
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Lbook is already using the new kernel, and no, it does not help. In fact, the new kernel is currently more buggy than the old kernel. In any case, IF Astak gets a firmware upgrade from Jinke it probably would be built with the new SDK as a matter of course?
Hi Dave_S: What I meant was the Linux kernel in specific. A look at the "about" says the linux kernel on the device is version 2.6.21.7 but a look at kernel.org says the current stable kernel is 2.6.34.1 That's a big difference of at least a year's worth. This is what I mean.
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 11:08 PM   #81
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Hi Dave_S: What I meant was the Linux kernel in specific. A look at the "about" says the linux kernel on the device is version 2.6.21.7 but a look at kernel.org says the current stable kernel is 2.6.34.1 That's a big difference of at least a year's worth. This is what I mean.
Two issues spring to mind. (a) The amount of work to strip the newest kernel to an appropriate size for the reader, and (b) just because there have been numerous revisions of the kernel does not mean drivers and code have been updated for the arm processor or sdhc card reader. Anyway, for all we may know Jinke have settled on 2.6.21.7 and packport fixes, so they only have minor code updates rather than an entire source tree.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:59 AM   #82
Sunspark
Zealot

Mmm.. still and all, the device keeps missing keypresses which is extremely annoying as it takes you away from an immersive experience.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:15 AM   #83
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Mmm.. still and all, the device keeps missing keypresses which is extremely annoying as it takes you away from an immersive experience.
I've noticed that with the LBook firmware, the Astak Dec firmware doesn't miss any presses.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:31 AM   #84
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
I've noticed that with the LBook firmware, the Astak Dec firmware doesn't miss any presses.
That is because the Lbook firmware is built with the new SDK, and the missed keypress bug is one of the known bugs with that kernel. The old Astak firmware was built with the original SDK. Until Jinke fixes the problem, the easiest way to avoid the missed keypress problem is to wait a couple of seconds between successive key presses.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #85
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I had that issue with key presses with both firmwares. I'm using lbook now and I went and removed some files, redid my library and it's gone away. I notice it the other day it's seemed faster and no key misses. I don't know why though. I removed all MOBI/PRC files from my card, EPUB only now. I removed the subfolder I had in my fonts folder and a few fonts but other then that I didn't change much other then adding a dictionary. The reader seems really fast now. The pages change so quickly too in Cool Reader.

I have no clue what I did to fix it!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #86
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
That is because the Lbook firmware is built with the new SDK, and the missed keypress bug is one of the known bugs with that kernel. The old Astak firmware was built with the original SDK. Until Jinke fixes the problem, the easiest way to avoid the missed keypress problem is to wait a couple of seconds between successive key presses.
Jinke's annoyingly long lag in fixing bugs is starting to... bug. And THEN after that happens we STILL have to wait for it to trickle down to other people in their firmware.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #87
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I'm proabably in left field here but I would like to see a firmware upgrade for the older Mentor that would give a feature similar to the Fit Width function in the JetBook Lite and allows easy scrolling when viewing an image. Even though the Mentor is a much better machine, the JBL is more useable for me just because of that.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Am I the only one who wants real typography on a reader?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #89
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Possibly

What I want is somewhere in between stark, Typewritten (mono-spaced) and a full blown treatment found in Hard bound editions.
A slightly tightened up (space-wise) of a Mass market paperback style works for my Fiction reading on my 5" e-ink display.

I still want Chapter breaks to start on a clean page (skipping blank pages) and the chapter head NOT eating half the screen or more.

Scene breaks, whether extra line space or a small ornament.

Drop caps, hanging indents
What I see is important is the treatment work well on multiple screen sizes and shapes (a thing that PDF abhors).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #90
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, you're not!
citac is offline   Reply With Quote