Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #76
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Where did you order it from? Can't wait to hear about it!
S
I ordered from sales4online.com
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #77
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
Just ordered the new JE200. I hope it gets here before I leave for CES.

Ellen
I agree with ColdSun below!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Ellen - you tease! You have to let me know how good the performance increase is. The JE-100 is definately my favorite ebook reading only device.
Yes, I agree, it's great, if it were only a tiny bit faster! The 128Mb instead of 64Mb should help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaredr View Post
I ordered from sales4online.com
Just to be complete, the site is http://www.sale4online.com (so, without the "S" )

What I'm curious about is, is the battery different from the JE100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE200
Battery: Li-ion 3.7V (1500mA) [Compatible with Nokia BP-4L battery for E90/E71]
If not, I know where to get a replacement for mine, if it goes dead...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #78
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
@sweetpea Thanks for the correction of the url. My eyes deceived me. The reason why I ordered one is that I had decided to get another JE100 as a back up. Then I saw the newer one and went for it. What I don't get is the higher price, but maybe the first JE100 price was the carrot on the stick. Now that I am in love with the reader the prices go up! It will be interesting to see the difference in the two readers.

Also on the battery issue. It would probably be a good idea to get a spare. I saw some on Ebay. There were also chargers for the batteries.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #79
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I agree with ColdSun below!

Yes, I agree, it's great, if it were only a tiny bit faster! The 128Mb instead of 64Mb should help...
".. the 128MB instead of.."??? Both ColdSun, and JoinTech, list NAND as 128 on the JE-100 same as whats on the JE-200.
Between RAM and NAND Memory, which has greater impact on e Reader's page refresh/change (speed)? Can anyone please clarify this for me.

Anyone who has used both, what I care about is the screen quality and page refresh/flip rate comparison.

Last edited by Frankr; 12-27-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #80
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Guess I know how to stop a thread in it's tracks! Every time I ask about the JE-100 the discussion dies.

I have almost purchased the JE-100 a dozen times a few doubts keep stopping me.

1) I keep reading about how terrible WinCE is, how outdated it is, etc. Should I care? With only 64MB RAM, obviously it isn't going to take the place of my laptop. Is something coming along in 2010 that will cost about the same but (maybe) run Android and have a decent amount of RAM?

2) I already own lots of EPUB files. Is there an EPUB reader that will work on the 100 or will I need to convert EPUB to Mobi?

3) Is the slowness of page turns an issue for most people? I am used to the Sony 505 and Pocketbook 360 - will page turns be a lot slower than these devices?

I keep eying the W1060 and all the other MIDs/UMPCs that are out there but bottom line, what I really want to a great backlit reader. Do you think there will be new devices coming in 2010 that will outshine the JE-100 for backlit reading 6 months from now?

Last edited by Katelyn; 12-29-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 12:23 AM   #81
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
"I have almost purchased the JE-100 a dozen times a few doubts keep stopping me.
Same here! On the plus side, I love the fact that it weighs only 250 grams, whereas the W1060 is 390 grams, and I hear that the display is sharper on the Je-series. On the minus side, and why I am holding back, is because I'm concerned about its speed.
In any event the first quarter of 2010 is expected to result in way more options. If you need, you can convert your collection in bulk using calibre.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:05 AM   #82
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Guess I know how to stop a thread in it's tracks! Every time I ask about the JE-100 the discussion dies.

I have almost purchased the JE-100 a dozen times a few doubts keep stopping me.

1) I keep reading about how terrible WinCE is, how outdated it is, etc. Should I care? With only 64MB RAM, obviously it isn't going to take the place of my laptop. Is something coming along in 2010 that will cost about the same but (maybe) run Android and have a decent amount of RAM?
WinCE isn't a full OS. It is an embedded OS. So, if you want something to replace your laptop don't even think about a CE device.

Quote:
2) I already own lots of EPUB files. Is there an EPUB reader that will work on the 100 or will I need to convert EPUB to Mobi?
I personally prefer to convert to mobi (which isn't a big problem for me as I don't own even one epub... but I do own ereader books).

Quote:
3) Is the slowness of page turns an issue for most people? I am used to the Sony 505 and Pocketbook 360 - will page turns be a lot slower than these devices?
I'd say it's about the same. The only time it's really slow is when I open a book for the first time and I have to pass the table of contents... This may be because of the way of how my books are made (one file per chapter).
Old 12-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #83
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
WinCE isn't a full OS. It is an embedded OS. So, if you want something to replace your laptop don't even think about a CE device.
No, I have no delusions that I can replace my wonderful 17" laptop with a 7" reading device. What I was really questioning is the 64MB of RAM and asking about CE in general. I've never used it and I don't read much positive about it. Everything seems to indicate that Android is the way to go so I am trying to get a sense of this from the forum folks.

Quote:
I personally prefer to convert to mobi (which isn't a big problem for me as I don't own even one epub... but I do own ereader books).
I am a long time Calibre user so I have no problem converting formats. I was just curious about EPUb on the JE-100...
------
Thanks for your feedback!

Bottom line is this - I just want a backlit reader. I don't NEED Internet access but the idea of being able to download files directly to the device is alluring. I'm not going to spend my days browsing the Web or playing games so I don't need a powerful MID or UMPC but if I DO get one, it should work somewhat decently or I'm wasting my money.

I'm still thinking about the JE-100 though I emailed Jointech a couple times with questions about the new JE-200 but haven't gotten any response yet. It seems pretty pricey considering that for the price, there are quite a few MIDs out there that offer a lot more power but I still lean toward the look and (virtual) feel of the Jointech devices. I will wait for some reviews of the 200 before I make any decisions.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #84
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

I really love my JE100, even though it's a bit slow at times (especially if I have just played with my PDA, which is very fast!)

The "problem" with CE is that it is a bit older and not a lot of new applications are made for it. Most of those applications are for WinMobile (which is based on CE, but customized for certain hardware).

I'm also very curious about the JE-200. It looks like it uses exactly the same casing, but with a bit more memory and a new firmware... (I'd love to try that firmware on my JE-100...)
Old 12-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #85
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
decisions decisions

My son has a Dell Axim x51v. What I would like to have is a back lit reader, but with the capabilities to run programs and internet access like the Dell. No, it won't ever replace a laptop, but it is fun for playing games like bejeweled and checking email. I would grab one as a reader, but the screen is just too small for my old eyes!
But, like a lot of you here I worry about the longevity of Win CE. Should I wait on the W1090 (http://www.wirelession.com/products_...p?cid=94&id=87) to come out? It runs Android The JE-200 is way too much if it is really going to be $400, so should I just get the JE-100? Should I just say forget it, buy a net book and an ereader (and a light) and be happy? Should I give up reading in bed all together? Ahhhh, too many decisions!!
I'm not really so much looking for advice from this post, just more vocalizing the frustration that I know many of us go though trying to decide on how to spend our hard earned cash. I do check in here every day and see what everyone is writing though. Everyones opinions are great, I'm very glad I found this forum, even if I never end up buying anything! I keep waiting for the "perfect" device to come out. Any one here think that will ever happen??
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #86
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
Quote:
I'm a big fan of embedded OSs.
I accept that my PDAs will never have the raw power of a full fledged OS,
but what I really wish is that my laptops could only duplicate the instant on/instant off speed of my PDAs.

Having used various computers over the decades, it's amazing how fewer headaches an embedded OS creates compared to a full-fledged OS. If you don't need the raw-processing power of a big OS, there's really few advantages, and plenty of disadvantages to going that way.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #87
Katelyn
Addict

I contacted Jointech support with a couple questions about the JE200.

1) Yes, it will be possible to upgrade the OS in the future to WinCE 6.0 and android on the same device.

2) The Wifi Dongle comes with JE200. I could not find a place to add the dongle to an order and it's not mentioned as an accessory.

If CES wasn't a week away and there weren't so many new devices launching in 2010 I'd order one tonight. However, I'm going to be grown up about this and be patient... but it is so very difficult. Every night when I have to turn on my silly headlamp to read in bed I remind myself that it won't be much longer now.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:40 AM   #88
Frankr
Zealot

Hi Everyone, I am asking again, what additional memory are we talking about?
The only thing I see is that the Je-200 supports a larger SD card, but both machines look like they have the same memory to me.

Hardware Specifications: for the JE-100 from http://www.jointech.com.hk/products_JE100.html
• Operating System Core: Win CE 5.0
• Processor: 400 MHz
• On Board OS Storage: Nand Flash 128 MB
• RAM: 64 MB

.................................................. ...................................
Hardware Specifications for the JE-200 from http://www.jointech.com.hk/products_JE200.html
Old 01-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #89
Katelyn
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
Hi Everyone, I am asking again, what additional memory are we talking about?
The only thing I see is that the Je-200 supports a larger SD card, but both machines look like they have the same memory to me.

Hardware Specifications: for the JE-100 from http://www.jointech.com.hk/products_JE100.html

.................................................. ...................................
Hardware Specifications for the JE-200 from http://www.jointech.com.hk/products_JE200.html
I agree that they appear to be identical specs.

I don't think anyone has gotten their hands on a JE-200 and and I am curious as heck about why they cost so much. With the wave of devices being released in 2010 with more power and longer battery life, I have to wonder if Jointech has priced this into obsolescence before it hits the streets.

On the other hand, until we get a couple solid reviews I'll keep this puppy on my short list. I just want to read some ideas of what could justify the price.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #90
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

I could have sworn it said 128Mb of RAM earlier...