Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #76
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reporter15 View Post
Wowwwww! My husband is a Perry Rhodan FANATIC, and I am in the process of trying to locate these books as ebooks for him. Do you know if they exist anywhere? I would be very grateful for any info!!!!!

Thank you,
Lynn
I think I saw some on Fictionwise a while back...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #77
Reporter15
Author
Reporter15 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I think I saw some on Fictionwise a while back...
I'll check that out right now. Thank you for your suggestion!

Lynn
Reporter15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #78
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
I'll check that out right now. Thank you for your suggestion!
Fictionwise doesn' t have them as far as I can see, but they are Out There. Not that I'd know, of course...
mbovenka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #79
Reporter15
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Fictionwise doesn' t have them as far as I can see, but they are Out There. Not that I'd know, of course...

I wonder how many are available in ebook format? Do you have any idea?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:57 AM   #80
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Those two, with The Glass Bead Game, are in my re-reads also. Hermann Hesse helps me make sense out of life...
Magister Ludi, aka The Glass Bead Game, is on my repeat list. I keep returning to Alice in Wonderland. Crime and Punishment is one I return to, and I've visited its locale in St. Petersburg. I've returned to War and Peace quite a few times.

I am always re-hearing lines from my favorite poets. Wallace Stevens is my main man. T.S. Elliot's voice recordings haunt me. G.M. Hopkins and Emily Dickinson and Robert Frost and W.B. Yeats --they are on permanent replay.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2009, 03:03 AM   #81
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I wonder how many are available in ebook format? Do you have any idea?
If you are willing to "bend the rules" .... all of them I think
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:25 AM   #82
Xiaopanda
Addict
Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.Xiaopanda is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
For me...Alan Dean Foster "ALIENS"

If I had re-read it once a year, I would be celebrating my bi-centery!!
Xiaopanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #83
Reporter15
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
If you are willing to "bend the rules" .... all of them I think

All of them? Do you know how many, by any chance? I have "seen" about 140. Are there more in ebook format, do you know? Oops ... I should have mentioned my husband needs them in English <g>. He's actually getting desperate enough that he said he wished he could read German <lol>.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #84
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
All of them? Do you know how many, by any chance? I have "seen" about 140. Are there more in ebook format, do you know? Oops ... I should have mentioned my husband needs them in English <g>. He's actually getting desperate enough that he said he wished he could read German <lol>.
Well, I'm not sure, but I'm certain I have seen one set that claims to be "complete", and in English
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #85
Archergal5219
Semi-retired semi-hero
Archergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Palm Zire71, EEE PC901, Sony PRS-505
That's easy. The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle. I read it for the first time in 1968, and I still read it every year or two.

So many lines from it are embedded in my consciousness, in a GOOD way. I absolutely adore it.
Archergal5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #86
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Not all my life but for at least the past 20 years it has been "Pride and Prejudice". I remember trying to read "Emma" as a young teen and just couldn't get into it. I gave Jane Austen another try several years later and was hooked. I can't say how many times I've read "P&P", "Persuasion" and "Emma". The others not so much although "Mansfield Park" is growing on me. I just can't get over the injustice to the sisters at the start of "Sense and Sensibility" to really enjoy that one.

Anyway, "P&P" fans may want to check out the series by Pamela Aidan that tells the story from Mr. Darcy's view. There are many authors who have tried this but I think she does an excellent job. The tone is correct and she doesn't step on Jane Austen's toes, everything meshes nicely. There are 3 books in the "Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman" series. I purchased in paperback from Amazon.com but just now saw they are available in e-book from Diesel in several formats so I guess I'll have to get those too. I've read them multiple times, the first and third are my favorites but you should read them all to have the complete story.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:43 PM   #87
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I have quite a few...

MOCKINGBIRD by Walter Tevis (outstanding futuristic syfy

PERSUASION by Jane Austen (her best work IMO; she was at the top of her game for this, her last novel)

A CHRISTMAS CAROL by Charles Dickens (He is a huge influence on my own writing)

FLOWERS FROM THE STORM by Laura Kinsale

IL BARONE RAMPANTE (THE BARON IN THE TREES) by Italo Calvino
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #88
Kevin Gerard
Kevin Gerard
Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin Gerard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Star of the Guardians by Margaret Weis

I've probably re-read this story more than any other in my life. Weis paired with Tracy Hickman for a number of successful series, but this particular one she wrote herself. I would classify it as soft sci-fi, although she's no novice in the science department. It is the only (dog and boy stories excluded) story I've ever read that brought out the tears. Many, many great and well thought out characters.
Kevin Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #89
evenstr
Enthusiast
evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evenstr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Sometimes I reread books more often than I read new books. Yearly, I tend to reread LOTR, The Princess Bride, Harry Potter, and The Giver. I also read Anne McCaffrey's Pern books frequently, some more than others (Masterharper of Pern is by far my favorite). I'll also read various Nancy Drew books yearly. I've got a very decent set of them, so I usually just pick and choose at random. As far as poetry goes, I read Elizabeth Barret Browning's Sonnets from the Portuguese yearly, sometimes several times a year since it's so short.
evenstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #90
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
For sure, Atlas Shrugged.

But now that you mention The Giver, I may have to revisit that as well. Has been about 10 years, I think. The first time I read that book, it was an assignment for my 6th grade son at a Catholic School. I was pretty shocked given the content of the book that it was assigned (killing of the unhealthy babies and infirm adults). But we thoroughly enjoyed reading it together.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote