Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-07-2021, 03:02 PM   #76
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do you consider someone who puts DRM free (Tor, Baen, Star Trek, Smashwords, etc) eBooks that are in copyright to be a thief?
Does the publisher or the involved get the due payment?
If yes, then it is correct - if no, then something is wrong.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 03:27 PM   #77
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
Those who illegally put somehow modified (e.g. DRM removed) ebooks on the Internet, anywhere, are thieves in my eyes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do you consider someone who puts DRM free (Tor, Baen, Star Trek, Smashwords, etc) eBooks that are in copyright to be a thief?
Quote:
Does the publisher or the involved get the due payment?
If yes, then it is correct - if no, then something is wrong.

@ottischwenk: Please read your words in the first quote above. You require modified (DRM removed) books to qualify as being stolen. Which would imply that books that are copyrighted but do not have hard DRM such as Adobe's ADEPT or Amazon's Kindle DRM but rather have no DRM or soft DRM (watermarks, etc.) are fair game since they can be uploaded unmodified.

It would appear that in your eyes the only person in this world who is not a thief is Humpty Dumpty ottischwenk.

I wonder if you remember who wrote these words regarding his habit of removing DRM: "Weil ich zu faul bin, mir das Ende der Leihfrist zu merken und mir ist egal," or "Because I'm too lazy to remember the end of the loan period and I don't care" and "da kommen aber alle Bücher automatisch nach Calibre und DRM wird entfernt" or "but all books come automatically to calibre and DRM is removed".

Does that sound like the writing of someone you might know?

Last edited by DNSB; 06-07-2021 at 03:44 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #78
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
@ottischwenk: Please read your words in the first quote above. You require modified (DRM removed) books to qualify as being stolen. Which would imply that books that are copyrighted but do not have hard DRM such as Adobe's ADEPT or Amazon's Kindle DRM but rather have no DRM or soft DRM (watermarks, etc.) are fair game since they can be uploaded unmodified.
You read my answer to the second quote way too fast for your conclusion, or your English is even worse than the Google Translate processing of my answer.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:07 PM   #79
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You read my answer to the second quote way too fast for your conclusion, or your English is even worse than the Google Translate processing of my answer.
Unlikely. I quoted what you posted which required a "modified (DRM removed)" book to be placed illegally on the Internet. You were then asked if you would consider someone who placed a DRM free but copyrighted book on the Internet to be a thief. At which point, a simple yes or no would have sufficed. Instead you went into asking about the publisher receiving due payment which a bit risible when we are discussing books placed illegally on pirate sites.

But coming from someone who routinely removed DRM from borrowed books with the excuse that the online loan forced such removal?

Your words elsewhere say that by your standards, you are a thief. Your words here "DRM removal, however, is theft in my eyes" say that you are an admitted thief and a hypocrite.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:43 AM   #80
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Unlikely. I quoted what you posted which required a "modified (DRM removed)" book to be placed illegally on the Internet. You were then asked if you would consider someone who placed a DRM free but copyrighted book on the Internet to be a thief. At which point, a simple yes or no would have sufficed. Instead you went into asking about the publisher receiving due payment which a bit risible when we are discussing books placed illegally on pirate sites.

But coming from someone who routinely removed DRM from borrowed books with the excuse that the online loan forced such removal?

Your words elsewhere say that by your standards, you are a thief. Your words here "DRM removal, however, is theft in my eyes" say that you are an admitted thief and a hypocrite.
It is quite simple:
I have heard of living rights holder who have published some of their works on such sites; and these works, because these rights holder are still alive, of course have copyright, and of course they are not thieves.

A simple yes or no would have been the wrong answer, of course, because I couldn't read anything about "illegal" in JSWolfs question.
And although such sites are called pirate sites, there are far more legal works there than pirated ones, and not only in my estimation - if it were otherwise, there would be legally forced and generally accepted provider blockings.

If they put it there themselves, then they get for each download what they expect - so my answer is correct.

However, there are problems with you in understanding a correct but somewhat more complex answer - maybe it could help you to reduce your reading speed, or use brain - if available.

I will not go into the further part, he has the same intellectual quality - a corresponding answer could be interpreted as an insult among people without understanding, although it would be easy for me to provide proof of the truth.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-08-2021 at 03:30 AM.
Advert
Old 06-08-2021, 09:43 AM   #81
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked.

Either ottis is only downloading public domain books and mistakenly thinks the sites he uses are 'pirate' sites, when they are in fact legit (such as manybooks).

Or he is wriggling, and is actually downloading in-copyright books.

The former is unlikely. He came up with that after the fact. It's more likely that he uses actual pirate sites for in-copyright books.
In this case, he's breaking forum rules by advocating this behaviour, and should be reprimanded by a moderator for doing so.

The OP seems to have disappeared from the thread. This is now entirely dominated by ottis's opinions and the battle with DNSB.

Maybe it's time to put the thread out of its misery.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #82
ottischwenk
Wizard

With this contribution you only show that you have very little idea of the material.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #83
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
The OP seems to have disappeared from the thread. This is now entirely dominated by ottis's opinions and the battle with DNSB.

Maybe it's time to put the thread out of its misery.
IMHO, it's past time to euthanize this thread.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:38 PM   #84
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathead View Post
Since the OP is a Kindle user, his or her library probably comprises books mainly in that format. We don't know if they use Calibre at all. Given that, an android reader could well be the ideal solution. It offers the same access to the Amazon ecosystem that they're used to plus the option to purchase and read epubs if they wish.
Why did this thread become so acrimonious?
My thought is that the Android e-ink readers are running apps not designed for e-ink and therefore will give a less satisfying experience than a 'traditional' e-ink reader. You'd have a better experience, shifting Amazon books to ePub or vice versa.

The Kindle is out, as the OP stated in the first post "I like my Kindle but it does not have the orange light which is important to me." There's the Oasis, but the OP didn't mention it. I'm assuming they are looking for something more inexpensive.

So the Kobo Clara or Libra seem like good options.

There's many other ePub readers, like the Pocketbooks and Tolinos, but I don't have experience with those.

There are Nooks, but I knew there'd be a landslide of criticism if I recommended one.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 06-08-2021 at 09:42 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:02 AM   #85
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
My thought is that the Android e-ink readers are running apps not designed for e-ink and therefore will give a less satisfying experience than a 'traditional' e-ink reader. You'd have a better experience, shifting Amazon books to ePub or vice versa.
Of course, EInk readers are based on brightness differences - but this should also be applications for color devices, because it is known that there is such a thing as color blindness.

The next point is animation. In cleanly designed applications, this can also be switched off.

Then there is the dithering of some simple ebook readers (Kobo); you have to be aware that the rasterization of images can take place in only 1/4 of the screen resolution to simulate 256 gray levels - and I can do without that.

I prefer the much stronger hardware, the large selection of applications and the much better configurability - but pay for it with slightly higher power consumption.

In addition, I am completely independent of the book provider, which is often fixed in branded devices (kindle).
Old 06-09-2021, 09:50 AM   #86
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:

Then there is the dithering of some simple ebook readers (Kobo); you have to be aware that the rasterization of images can take place in only 1/4 of the screen resolution to simulate 256 gray levels - and I can do without that.

That statement doesn't make any sense.

Dithering is applying noise patterns to a raster image in order to prevent certain artifacts, most commonly used to prevent color banding.

Rasterization is converting vector graphics (ie: a svg) into a raster image (a matrix of pixels). You can also dither vector graphics after rasterizing them.

The reason dithering is important in ebooks is because their images weren't optimized for the e-ink palette beforehand.

The rest of the statement sounds like a self made assertion.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:40 AM   #87
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
That statement doesn't make any sense.

Dithering is applying noise patterns to a raster image in order to prevent certain artifacts, most commonly used to prevent color banding.

Rasterization is converting vector graphics (ie: a svg) into a raster image (a matrix of pixels). You can also dither vector graphics after rasterizing them.

The reason dithering is important in ebooks is because their images weren't optimized for the e-ink palette beforehand.

The rest of the statement sounds like a self made assertion.
This may be true for English Hmmm specialists, but my mother language is German and the expressions came from Google translate.

Also, you might not know much about what Kobo is up to.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #88
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
This may be true for English Hmmm specialists, but my mother language is German and the expressions came from Google translate.

Also, you might not know much about what Kobo is up to.
If you're going to insist on spouting technical advice in a language not your L1, don't do anything as stupid as relying on Google Translate. That guarantees that your already dubious assertions are rendered even more opaque
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #89
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
If you're going to insist on spouting technical advice in a language not your L1, don't do anything as stupid as relying on Google Translate. That guarantees that your already dubious assertions are rendered even more opaque
Then why don't you tell me what help to use?

Besides the terminology of technical idiots, there is also a normal colloquial language

Anyway, what is called Kobo dithering is simply put into a 4*4 dot grid and this is displayed according to a given pattern - the resolution is visible ca 0.3 mm for a 300 dpi screen (75 dpi), ca 0.5 mm for the 10.3 screen (~55 dpi) - in my eyes a horror.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 06-09-2021 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:47 AM   #90
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Then why don't you tell me what help to use?
Either (A) pay a professionally qualified translator to render your "advice" from your L1 into English, or (B) accept that silence is golden.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, ereader, format, kindle, orange screen