Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-13-2021, 01:05 PM   #76
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That fizzled out pretty quickly when Amazon tried it on the Voyage, so I wouldn't hold out hope for an ALS .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:11 PM   #77
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That fizzled out pretty quickly when Amazon tried it on the Voyage, so I wouldn't hold out hope for an ALS .
Doesn't the Forma already have ALS for the natural light?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2021, 01:51 PM   #78
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Assuming we both meant "Ambient Light Sensor", no it doesn't .
Old 02-13-2021, 01:58 PM   #79
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Doesn't the Forma already have ALS for the natural light?
Only Aura One has ALS, it was abandoned in other models ... Why NiLuJe cited Voyage as an example, I don't know.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #80
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Because I'd forgotten that the KA1 even had an ALS .

The fact that *both* lab126 & Kobo abandoned it only serves to prove my actual point, though. The exact devices affected were kind of irrelevant .
Advert
Old 02-13-2021, 03:09 PM   #81
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
The exact devices affected were kind of irrelevant .
Aura One makes the you actual point more convincing
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:15 PM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
USB-C is slightly more expensive to manufacture, so until Amazon puts it into the Kindle, Kobo will wait. The essence of marketing
I hope you are correct as I don't want USB-C if I buy the new Kobo. I would have to find another adapter to go from USB-C to Lightning. And that would cost extra that's not needed as USB-C is not needed for a Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 06:59 PM   #83
Mivey
Mivey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
reMarkable added an USB-C port on the rM 2, and given the state of the kernel commits, I'm guessing a few engineers weren't overly happy about that decision... ;p.

So, no, not easy/cheap, and definitely fairly useless in that context.
For the reMarkable 2 it's probably about the design of the device. They were keen on making it as thin as possible, and the USB-C port is literally as thick as the device itself, so they couldn't have had a somewhat bigger micro USB port and achieved that thinness.

I would be pretty (positively) surprised if this new Kobo had USB-C. Could finally come closer to getting rid of all microUSB chargers in my home.
Will keep an eye out for this new device, my Kobo Aura One is showing it's age a bit.
Mivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:03 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivey View Post
For the reMarkable 2 it's probably about the design of the device. They were keen on making it as thin as possible, and the USB-C port is literally as thick as the device itself, so they couldn't have had a somewhat bigger micro USB port and achieved that thinness.

I would be pretty (positively) surprised if the new Kobo one had USB-C. Could finally come closer to getting rid of all microUSB chargers in my home.
Will keep an eye out for this new device, my Kobo Aura One is showing it's age a bit.
But for me, it's a different situation. I have microUSB cables since I've had 7 different Readers that all used microUSB and I have microUSB cables. I only have two USB-C cables for a BT receiver to convert wired headphones to BT headphones for when I want to watch TV without using the TV speakers.

So I would have to buy USB-C cables which I really do not want to do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:11 PM   #85
binarymelon
binarymelon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope you are correct as I don't want USB-C if I buy the new Kobo. I would have to find another adapter to go from USB-C to Lightning. And that would cost extra that's not needed as USB-C is not needed for a Reader.
And for those of us that aren't stuck in 2015? If you don't want to upgrade, don't upgrade. Would you prefer if we still used floppy drives as well? Tech advances, don't adopt it until you're comfortable with it, but don't stand in the way if it. 2021 is long past the time that any USB connected device should be adopting the type C connector.
binarymelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:19 PM   #86
Mivey
Mivey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But for me, it's a different situation. I have microUSB cables since I've had 7 different Readers that all used microUSB and I have microUSB cables. I only have two USB-C cables for a BT receiver to convert wired headphones to BT headphones for when I want to watch TV without using the TV speakers.

So I would have to buy USB-C cables which I really do not want to do.
And chances are you won't have to, as I sad I don't think they would go for USB-C. It's cheaper for them not to have it, simpler as USB-C is more complex to use on the software side. I also don't think it could have a big marketing effect to it (certainly not in the enthusiast market, which seems to regard USB-C as some sort of satanic curse).
Mivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:19 PM   #87
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
I see the logic behind audio book support, one device for all your book needs, but I can't help but wonder if it would really be practical.

A smartphone already seems to be the perfect device for listening to audio books.

I don't think I can justify spending $300+ on another ereader when my 32gb Forma still works perfectly. I think I'll probably wait until we get a color model, but only time will tell.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:11 PM   #88
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
"Provides 1.21GW of power", my electric bills are high enough, thank you.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:25 PM   #89
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I saw that one. They almost had me until I read the last line.

Quote:
There is a difference of a couple of dollars, and the essence of what I wrote, it does not change Until there is an incentive / push from competitors, Kobo will not implement.
It looks like the "USB-D" is actually called the USB4. And it appears they are already working on it.

https://lifehacker.com/everything-yo...b-4-1843246620
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:17 AM   #90
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Imo there’s completely no point investing in usb-c for a few ebooks
I’m looking forward a lot to this ereader, based on @geek1011’s educated guesses
Kobo have done a really good job with the firmware, it will be interesting to see if they can now take the hardware to a new level
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote