Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-16-2021, 04:39 PM   #76
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
I recently discovered Egyptian Slate Pro, from Cufonts. I like it very much and its design is suitable to workaround the lack of ligatures in Kepub and AZW3. Good also on Epub on Kobo (but I still use Bookerly more often) and on Pocketbook (where I use it). To use it on Kobo You need to rename the files as usual.
With KFX it doesn't look good. And also with Koreader it is not rendered well, especially on my Kobo.
With KF8, you do not get ligatures. But you can turn on ligatures in KePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 05:13 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I think it was @JSWolf who made and/or modified the ChareInk font available here, and it has become my goto Roman font on my Kobo, absolutely love it!
Thank you very much.

ChareInk was born from Charis SIL version 5.0. I didn't like Charis SIL 5's wide line height and I wanted to add kerning. Also because some devices/programs do not have an option to increase the weight of fonts, I made a weighted version and released both the weight and unweighted version. Then because of Bookely in later Kindle firmware version not displaying Bookerly all that well at smaller sizes because of lack of hinting, I added hinted and released that version as well. On a Kobo, RMSDK and Access both work with the hinted and non-hinted versions.

Would you mind testing if hinted or non-hinted works better or makes no difference for KOReader? I've yet to install KOReader to give it a go so I am waiting for the January, 2021 stable version.
Advert
Old 01-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #78
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Would you mind testing if hinted or non-hinted works better or makes no difference for KOReader? I've yet to install KOReader to give it a go so I am waiting for the January, 2021 stable version.
I am happy to try, but I may be of little help. I'm not a font/typography cognoscento - I don't care AT ALL about ligatures in English, and am honestly unsure if I can tell the difference between hinted and unhinted. But I can take screen shots, or a video, if you think they will be of any use.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:57 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I am happy to try, but I may be of little help. I'm not a font/typography cognoscento - I don't care AT ALL about ligatures in English, and am honestly unsure if I can tell the difference between hinted and unhinted. But I can take screen shots, or a video, if you think they will be of any use.
Thank you. Screenshots will do.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:40 AM   #80
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
With KF8, you do not get ligatures. But you can turn on ligatures in KePub.
Yes I know, but with some (big) rendering issue.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2021, 07:24 AM   #81
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Yes I know, but with some (big) rendering issue.
Are these rendering issues still present on the 4.25 firmware?

The last KePub I read didn't have big rendering issues. I did have ligatures, kerning, and hyphenation on.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #82
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Are these rendering issues still present on the 4.25 firmware?

The last KePub I read didn't have big rendering issues. I did have ligatures, kerning, and hyphenation on.
Yes, I tried: I used the patch "KePub stylesheet additions" enabling "optimizeLegibility" and there are some words with with too much space between letters at the beginning of the line before a period (may be before the closure of a span I imagine).
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #83
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I use Bookerly for all books unless it's not an option where it's the publisher default.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:55 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I use Bookerly for all books unless it's not an option where it's the publisher default.
What Kindle firmware version did you get Bookerly from? I don't recall which firmware version, but at some point, Amazon removed hinting from Bookerly and it's not as good on a Kindle at smaller sizes. I've not tried that version on a Kobo, but the Bookerly with hinting looks good.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #85
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What Kindle firmware version did you get Bookerly from? I don't recall which firmware version, but at some point, Amazon removed hinting from Bookerly and it's not as good on a Kindle at smaller sizes. I've not tried that version on a Kobo, but the Bookerly with hinting looks good.
I have the latest updates and try to keep it updated. I remember reading about that, but my eyes haven't noticed a difference when reading.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:47 PM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I have the latest updates and try to keep it updated. I remember reading about that, but my eyes haven't noticed a difference when reading.
Then you probably use a large enough font size where it doesn't matter.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:36 PM   #87
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Then you probably use a large enough font size where it doesn't matter.
That could be it. I have mine set at size 4 with a boldness of 3.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:35 PM   #88
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
On my Kobo Aura HD, I tend to use Kobo Nickel (serif) for novels, and either Gill Sans or Avenir Next (sans) for fanfics. There's exceptions though. My font size and line spacing tend to be on the large side.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:46 PM   #89
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
I like using Georgia for fanfics, and Malabar for science fiction.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:13 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
On my Kobo Aura HD, I tend to use Kobo Nickel (serif) for novels, and either Gill Sans or Avenir Next (sans) for fanfics. There's exceptions though. My font size and line spacing tend to be on the large side.
With Kobo Nickel, line height is on the way too large side.