Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 01:47 AM   #76
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
You do not notice updates with the system today. Or can you get and RSS feed or email when a book changes?

I downloaded all books by certain authors some time ago and I would really appreciate some way to know if updates are available. That would require that I can see from my copy which version I have.
I will think about this idea and how it would be possible to implement it.

Quote:
I also find it to hard to find out if a book by a specific author exist here.
Couldn't you use the "Search E-Books" feature for that?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:58 AM   #77
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Nothing wrong with torrents per se, but I think we must respect the wishes of those whom I count among our most active and contributing members. Whatever their reasons may be, I don't want us to alienate anybody by officially ignoring their wishes and spreading the books through another medium.
Very well said.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 04:28 AM   #78
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Very well said.
I'll second that.

It's not that I agree with those dedicated and valuable individuals that put such great efforts into the formatting and uploading so many of these great books but would prefer to not to see them torrented. It's rather that, as it appears some other good and respectful people are doing, I'd rather that these dedicated uploaders be convinced of the benefits of torrenting before it might occur, lest it dissuade them from the activity itself. If they're all not happy with it, then, in the end, the current system still leaves me happy with access to well-formatted, free books.

I really appreciate that.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #79
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Couldn't you use the "Search E-Books" feature for that?
What feature is that? I looked for it now but did not find it.

The problem with the index is that each letter have to many entries so maybe a two level index would be a good idea?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #80
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What feature is that? I looked for it now but did not find it.

The problem with the index is that each letter have to many entries so maybe a two level index would be a good idea?
Click the "E-Books" link on the blue menu bar under the "MobileRead logo" near the top of the screen, and select the "Browse latest uploads" menu item. On the resulting screen, at the right hand side of the 2nd blue bar (the one saying "E-Book Uploads"), is a link saying "Search E-Books". Click this, and a text box will appear in which you can type either a title or an author name, and you'll get a list of all the books in which that string matches either the title or author's name.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #81
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Personally, I have no problem with the books I've created being available in packs, mass-downloads, torrents or whatever. The more people enjoying (I hope) my work, the better. But, of course, I would prefer some kind of feedback, comments, etc. (and I'm not going no include my e-mail in the books).

Maybe some kind of page/server/whatever could be set up that would make it more user-friendly for the downloader to get books from MR, something that allows searches, lists the files, lets one tick check-boxes and download every selected file (maybe in a single .zip file)... there could be even some kind of scoring for the "literary quality" of the text and for the "formatting quality" of the ebook, separately.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #82
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Click the "E-Books" link on the blue menu bar under the "MobileRead logo" near the top of the screen, and select the "Browse latest uploads" menu item. On the resulting screen, at the right hand side of the 2nd blue bar (the one saying "E-Book Uploads"), is a link saying "Search E-Books". Click this, and a text box will appear in which you can type either a title or an author name, and you'll get a list of all the books in which that string matches either the title or author's name.
Aha, I did not check under "Browse latest uploads" because I wanted to search among all books and did not expect that to be found under _latest_ uploads.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:30 AM   #83
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

I had to look one minute on the page to find "Search E-books". Maybe it is possible to hide the link more but you have to really work for it. Why should I suspect that a heading (that you normally not read) is an important link?

But I do not want to search the contents of E-books. I want to search for author name. So how can I know from that search box that it really will give me all books by an author?

But it seems to work. Thanks for the instruction on how to find it.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #84
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Also searching for "Jane Austen" will not find any books which is confusing.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 AM   #85
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Either "Austen" or "Austen, Jane" will work.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:37 PM   #86
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Either "Austen" or "Austen, Jane" will work.
Yes, in in the google era that is really not very good for a system that is not targeted to professionals like librarians.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:16 PM   #87
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Yes, in in the google era that is really not very good for a system that is not targeted to professionals like librarians.
Or someone that knows how to use a telephone book.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:35 PM   #88
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Or someone that knows how to use a telephone book.
What do you mean? Jane Austen would in my phone book be listed as "Austen Jane" and the search will not find any entry with that either.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #89
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Guys, when a user comes along and lets you know the system isn't user friendly it means that possibly a lot more users had the same problem but were too shy to speak up about it, or embarrased. the fact is the downloading book section and searching isn't user friendly. It took me a bit to figure it out and I was bored at work with nothing to do for 8 hours, so I had time to figure it out. Not everyone has that time.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:43 AM   #90
Halo
Connoisseur
Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.Halo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle DX 1st Gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
There are omnibus editions. Maybe we should have more,I don't know if we should. But what I'd like to see is that as we read the book we have gotten, we should really go back to its original thread and post our appreciation or comments about the works.
I agree.

Quote:
There is an other consideration I would like to underline. A property right to the visual format of the uploader. Lots of care is worked into these books, shouldn't the uploader at least be asked permission about "torrenting"?
Are these ebooks not freely redistributable? Am I committing copyright infringement if I download a book from MobileRead and later decide to give a copy of the ebook to a friend? Please clarify as I think this is more important that the torrent issue.

Quote:
And why should we get books that we'll never read? That's hoarding.
Why would it matter to you that other people might wish to hoard books? With electronic information there is no scarcity of goods as with physical books. If someone decides to collect a copy of every legally redistributable ebook what disservice does that do to you? Please elaborate on what the core issue is that you object to.

Last edited by Halo; 12-12-2008 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Edits
Halo is offline   Reply With Quote