Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #76
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH23 View Post
I hope you're wrong, I'd really like a 10" Kobo :P
You & me both, the current 10" models on the market are either exuberantly expensive, lacking in features (no lights? Really Onyx?) or using ridiculously old android versions (hi there Boyue!)
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #77
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I hope the Kobo has the ambidextrous feature like the Oasis. Without it, the Kobo won't interest me. For me, the lack of buttons on both sides, and the lack of an easy way to do a next page is a show-stopper with the Kobo. If Kobo can't add it, then I hope community developers can add it. Otherwise I find the design rather pointless. They would be better putting the buttons on the bottom where both hands can easily reach them.
Considering they show it in both portrait and landscape, I couldn't imagine they wouldn't let you hold it with either hand. The Oasis already does and the Forma is clearly inspired by it (older devices notwithstanding).

Quote:
Really Kobo should do a voyage-style buttons on both side device and destroy the paperwhite, but like Amazon, they pushing buttons as a luxury only option.
Yeah, if Kobo could take the Nook Glowlight 3 and add their firmware (and maybe waterproofing) that would be ideal for me.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2018, 03:42 PM   #78
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
I used to own the Oasis 2 but I found switching it from one hand to the other incredibly inconvenient. It always involves a flipping the device around maneuver that I got tired of really quickly. Even printed books handled better
That was back to the Voyage for me....
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #79
CH23
Bottom Text
CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CH23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon_Re View Post
You & me both, the current 10" models on the market are either exuberantly expensive, lacking in features (no lights? Really Onyx?) or using ridiculously old android versions (hi there Boyue!)
For me the 2 main reasons for wanting Kobo, are that it runs linux, a system I know by heart, and usually on a microSD card, which means I could experiment without ever bricking the device.

If both of these requirements are met, is below €500(10.3") or €250(7.8"), and backlight is included, then I'm as happy as can be.

Android is too heavily packed with stuff you will never use on an ereader.
CH23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:15 PM   #80
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
: book2:
Quote:
Therefore, I feel certain that this will be a 7.8" device
• Screen "7.8" + 1200mAh baterie how "Aura One" ?
usually with it's batery size it's just CPU single core + 512MB RAM

• It's just a illustration photo, you do not have to draw a final size conclusion right away
* After the title "the most comfortable reader" - I'm afraid the screen would be no bigger than 7.8 chips..

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 10-01-2018 at 06:39 PM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2018, 11:30 PM   #81
pastaenthusiast
pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pastaenthusiast ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I can’t really picture comfortably using the buttons while in landscape mode. It’ll be really interesting to see what it’s like- I was hoping for something with physical buttons (but who am I kidding- I’ve had the KAO since launch and I can’t imagine upgrading unless something really spectacular came along).
pastaenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #82
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It's official:

Press release: http://news.kobo.com/news-releases/r...rtable-ereader

Store (Canada): https://ca.kobobooks.com/products/ko...&utm_campaign=

Ad: https://ca.kobobooks.com/products/ko...&utm_campaign=

Price: $299CAD - Aura ONE is $249.

Highlights: 8", buttons, waterproof, 8GB, Comfortlight PRO, landscape mode.

Overall, I like the looks. It will be interesting to see how it feels to hold it.

And one noticeable absence in the pictures: Nothing to suggest it can be held with the buttons on the left.

And one I didn't notice the first time through:

Quote:
Mobius® technology, which uses a flexible plastic layer within its display
That makes it much lighter than the Aura ONE and lighter than the Aura H2O2 - 197g, 230g and 207g respectively. And should make it less prone to breaking.

Last edited by davidfor; 10-02-2018 at 08:26 AM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 08:58 AM   #83
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It's official:

Press release: http://news.kobo.com/news-releases/r...rtable-ereader

Store (Canada): https://ca.kobobooks.com/products/ko...&utm_campaign=

Ad: https://ca.kobobooks.com/products/ko...&utm_campaign=

Price: $299CAD - Aura ONE is $249.

Highlights: 8", buttons, waterproof, 8GB, Comfortlight PRO, landscape mode.

Overall, I like the looks. It will be interesting to see how it feels to hold it.

And one noticeable absence in the pictures: Nothing to suggest it can be held with the buttons on the left.

And one I didn't notice the first time through:

That makes it much lighter than the Aura ONE and lighter than the Aura H2O2 - 197g, 230g and 207g respectively. And should make it less prone to breaking.
Pre-orders start on Oct 16, actual launch is Oct 23rd.

And yeah, I also noticed that very conspicuous absence of anything showing it being held with the buttons on the left.

A 32GB version will be out at launch in Japan, and at some later date in other markets. That'd be the one that I'm interested in I think.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:03 AM   #84
glenk
Enthusiast
glenk doesn't litterglenk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Quote:
That would be insane if that is the case.

I had a look at the pictures for the sleepcover and from the looks of it, it can be folded so that the buttons are on the left with the sleepcover on. So I think that it can be used with the buttons on the left.

If I am wrong though and it is a right handed device only then that is a complete deal breaker for me. I mostly only hold my Aura HD in my left hand.
glenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #85
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
And yeah, I also noticed that very conspicuous absence of anything showing it being held with the buttons on the left.
I asked someone at Kobo. The response was:
Quote:
'Forma LE: Left Edition coming in 2019'

No, you can hold in any of the 4 orientations. The sleepcover can be used as a stand in all 4 orientations as well!
So, it can be used with the buttons at the top. And I frequently hold my ereaders by the top right corner with my index finger along the bezel. That might work well.

Note: That's a joke. I think
Old 10-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #86
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
The Mobius thingy is interesting. I'd always assumed Amazon got first refusal on all new eink screen technology.

Perhaps a cover won't be quite so essential on this model. Maybe just as well if the 3rd-party covers take a long time to appear.

Oh dear, my buy-it-now finger is starting to twitch. It's just as well that my new gadget obsession is restricted to eink readers and not the more expensive phones/tablets etc.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #87
glenk
Enthusiast
glenk doesn't litterglenk doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Hi davidfor

Thanks for the quick update, after having looked at every single photo of it in portrait mode with the buttons only on the right hand side I was starting to get worried.
Strange that they didn't think to show a picture of it in that orientation.

Well they have sold me on it. Just need to find a store that will have it in Australia on Oct 30th. Can't wait. I have been wanting a new eReader for a while.
glenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #88
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Whew! $280 US. That's a lot if you've already got a decent ereader. I'd be ecstatic if one dropped in my lap, but that's just way too rich for me, unless and until my Aura One goes paws up and even then it would be a difficult call.

I did snicker at this:

Quote:
waterproofing means you can soak up a story anywhere, whether it’s in bed, at the beach beach or in the bath.
I keep my bed pretty dry, myself. And what's the beach beach?

Seriously, they should have put a lot more effort into the statement. QC should extend everywhere.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:28 AM   #89
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I asked someone at Kobo. The response was:

So, it can be used with the buttons at the top. And I frequently hold my ereaders by the top right corner with my index finger along the bezel. That might work well.

Note: That's a joke. I think
Lol! Well that's good to hear. I have the KOA2 now and tend to flip it around between hands regularly. Now if they'd only say when the 32GB version is coming to the US too...
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #90
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The Mobius thingy is interesting. I'd always assumed Amazon got first refusal on all new eink screen technology.

Perhaps a cover won't be quite so essential on this model. Maybe just as well if the 3rd-party covers take a long time to appear.
That's what I was thinking.
Quote:
Oh dear, my buy-it-now finger is starting to twitch. It's just as well that my new gadget obsession is restricted to eink readers and not the more expensive phones/tablets etc.
Same here. But, the price down here is $429 which eases the twitching a bit. I almost wish Kobo were delaying the release down here like they do most of the time.