Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 05:43 AM   #76
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzkmo View Post
I love how the last 2 names (Voyage and Oasis) both hint at water, yet they do not have a waterproof version yet. BN and Kobo have had waterproof versions for awhile now, and they cost the same or less. Almost nobody needs 20-month battery life on 1 charge. But some people read in the tub, on the beach, etc. and would appreciate some protection from water.
/end rant
How does "Voyage" hint at water ? (I am French btw ).
Old 04-12-2016, 05:52 AM   #77
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Voyage is most often used in terms of the sea (or space). One usually takes a voyage on a ship. It would be unusual (perhaps even wrong) to say that one went on a voyage by train.
Advert
Old 04-12-2016, 07:08 AM   #78
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Voyage is most often used in terms of the sea (or space). One usually takes a voyage on a ship. It would be unusual (perhaps even wrong) to say that one went on a voyage by train.
Well, in French we use it for travel or trip. So, un voyage en train, en avion, en bateau, en moto, en voiture, it all works for us. Voyager is a verb = to travel. Thus my question.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:45 AM   #79
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
According to the leaked images, the "top of the line" kindle is the top dissapointment of the year for many e-readers.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #80
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
I can't speak for how it's used in French, but in English there is an implication that a voyage is a loooong journey. Which, from England, necessarily involves travel over sea.
Advert
Old 04-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #81
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes I can see that, but I don't give a crap. I still hate devices designed for righties only. Just because you can rotate a stupidly designed device does NOT make it okay. Rotation messes up the ergonomics in more than one way. For one thing cases open backwards, upside down, etc. Logos also get rotated.

The fact is that Amazon cannot significantly improve the lacklusterness of eInk screens, so they come up with all kinds of non-screen related BS to throw on the design hoping to get the weakminded to not notice they won't be getting a significantly better screen. The actual reading of text is the most important innovation, and I have not seen any major improvements in eInk or built-in lighting in a long time. All the lipstick in the world won't change a pig from being a pig.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #82
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The actual reading of text is the most important innovation, and I have not seen any major improvements in eInk or built-in lighting in a long time.
Um, you might try reading next time. The Oasis has 60% more LEDs for a brighter, more evenly lit screen.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #83
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobayashi View Post
Um, you might try reading next time. The Oasis has 60% more LEDs for a brighter, more evenly lit screen.
Not, IMO, a major improvement, although more even lighting is welcome. And I can't imagine needing brighter than a Paperwhite! (Now, more gradations at the lower end might be welcome - for the difference between reading in a blacked out room, and in a merely dark room.)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #84
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Yes I can see that, but I don't give a crap. I still hate devices designed for righties only. Just because you can rotate a stupidly designed device does NOT make it okay. Rotation messes up the ergonomics in more than one way. For one thing cases open backwards, upside down, etc. Logos also get rotated.
I would not even say it is designed for righties. *Because* I am right-handed I hold my coffee, fork, spoon, etc in my right hand so I want to turn pages with my left.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #85
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Quote:

The fact is that Amazon cannot significantly improve the lacklusterness of eInk screens, so they come up with all kinds of non-screen related BS to throw on the design hoping to get the weakminded to not notice they won't be getting a significantly better screen. The actual reading of text is the most important innovation, and I have not seen any major improvements in eInk or built-in lighting in a long time. All the lipstick in the world won't change a pig from being a pig.
It's not designed for righties only. In fact, this one seems specifically designed for both hands and doesn't even have logos that could be turned upside down or make it look wrong. It's just equally functional both ways, and the first device in a long time to go that way. You don't have to be hostile.

As for better screen, that's something I agree with. Even lighting might finally be upon us, but that says nothing about the actual blackness of the text. I hope that's majorly improved. We won't know until we see more about the device and get reviews.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:30 PM   #86
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
If one were to put a case on a paperwhite (for instance), and hold it in their left hand instead of the right, it already reverses the position of the case flap. I honestly do not get the hostility to the supposed flipping of the case on this wedge shaped device for lefties.

Edit: And besides, the wedge design exists only if the device is used without the case. With the case on, it reverts to the flat tablet design.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #87
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Hummm 8 Days anyone heard any thing?
Old 04-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #88
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
I think it's often supposed to be used without the case, that's how it's advertised. They also mention weight without the case, but not with it. I think it'll be heavy...

I dunno, I keep looking at it. It's growing on me little by little. I hope it's not annoying to turn over when it's not in the case. Also hope these leaks are controlled and they left out some major information.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #89
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have looked at it and what I believe is the case for it. Well the case of course is set up for a righted handed person. I am a lefty. To use the page buttons I would have to take it out of the case.
I have a PW2 and a voyage. As long as they work for me I will not be updating.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #90
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
I think it's often supposed to be used without the case, that's how it's advertised. They also mention weight without the case, but not with it. I think it'll be heavy...

I dunno, I keep looking at it. It's growing on me little by little. I hope it's not annoying to turn over when it's not in the case. Also hope these leaks are controlled and they left out some major information.
I wonder if the case will be any heavier than the current official Voage cover, which is quite heavy, being made of magnetic material.
Closed Thread